• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Liverpool *****

So, couple of quick fire points from me:

1. You'd have taken a draw before the game, and whilst we had the better opportunities, Liverpool are miles ahead of us in quality and we've had a couple of months under a new manager
  2. I personally don't get the fuss over the Kane challenge, it was definitely a booking but not sure the clamour for a red, but saying that, all pundits think it's a Red so guess we got lucky
  3. the Jota penalty, again, a lucky escape, but literally nothing made of Matip on Winks and i would like to see that again as not clear cut it was outside the box
  4. Their second goal, it's a laughable handball rule. I question whether Norwich would get that sort of decision in their favour
  5. Now onto our play, clearly we played on the counter but this was vastly different to Jose's ball. Maybe a bit similar to Nuno when we beat City, but christ, every time we went forward we could have scored. Kane and Son up top as a two i've been wanting to see for a while and it didn't disappoint
  6. When i saw Dele, Tanguy, Winks in the middle i thought the worst. And i am definitely no Winks fan, but he was quality yesterday. If he can keep those performances up, he'll definitely not be on the sold list. Same with Dele, but he really should have got an assist or goal. His pass to Kane was weak, and whilst Becker made a fantastic save from his shot, he had to score that. I've had a problem with Dele even back when he was scoring, because in my view if he doesn't score, he doesn't really do much more. Played well yesterday, but need more from him still
  7. Defence, Sanchez on the ball still scares the brick outta me, thought they played well but Jota goal, questions on the defence there. I've watched it back, I feel Dier came across too quickly to cover, had he held his ground in the middle he'd have been well positioned to clear the header to Jota.
  8. Ndombele - great assist, but this is Liverpool. Too many times, the turns, the skills he so often relied upon were pressured and he floundered, losing the ball often in dangerous positions. I'm sure Conte was not overly happy with the performance in total, we got lucky he didn't cost us a goal. No qualms with him being sold/loaned as i don't think he'll do what's required for us
  9. Conte, what a guy. This guy needs backing next month, let's hope it comes. Loads being made of Arsenal in 4th, and we play them in January, but we are easily in the mix if we play like that against others and the players listen and pay attention to Conte

So, couple of quick fire points from me:

1. You'd have taken a draw before the game, and whilst we had the better opportunities, Liverpool are miles ahead of us in quality and we've had a couple of months under a new manager
  2. I personally don't get the fuss over the Kane challenge, it was definitely a booking but not sure the clamour for a red, but saying that, all pundits think it's a Red so guess we got lucky
  3. the Jota penalty, again, a lucky escape, but literally nothing made of Matip on Winks and i would like to see that again as not clear cut it was outside the box
  4. Their second goal, it's a laughable handball rule. I question whether Norwich would get that sort of decision in their favour
  5. Now onto our play, clearly we played on the counter but this was vastly different to Jose's ball. Maybe a bit similar to Nuno when we beat City, but christ, every time we went forward we could have scored. Kane and Son up top as a two i've been wanting to see for a while and it didn't disappoint
  6. When i saw Dele, Tanguy, Winks in the middle i thought the worst. And i am definitely no Winks fan, but he was quality yesterday. If he can keep those performances up, he'll definitely not be on the sold list. Same with Dele, but he really should have got an assist or goal. His pass to Kane was weak, and whilst Becker made a fantastic save from his shot, he had to score that. I've had a problem with Dele even back when he was scoring, because in my view if he doesn't score, he doesn't really do much more. Played well yesterday, but need more from him still
  7. Defence, Sanchez on the ball still scares the brick outta me, thought they played well but Jota goal, questions on the defence there. I've watched it back, I feel Dier came across too quickly to cover, had he held his ground in the middle he'd have been well positioned to clear the header to Jota.
  8. Ndombele - great assist, but this is Liverpool. Too many times, the turns, the skills he so often relied upon were pressured and he floundered, losing the ball often in dangerous positions. I'm sure Conte was not overly happy with the performance in total, we got lucky he didn't cost us a goal. No qualms with him being sold/loaned as i don't think he'll do what's required for us
  9. Conte, what a guy. This guy needs backing next month, let's hope it comes. Loads being made of Arsenal in 4th, and we play them in January, but we are easily in the mix if we play like that against others and the players listen and pay attention to Conte

I'd like a better look at the winks pen and the reggie one on the other side.

It’s just an indication of who had the better chances. How is that not relevant? By your logic do you think every stat in the game is irrelevant?

I can’t help but suspect it’s the name ‘expected goals’ that most makes people dislike the stat. Maybe the name distracts and misleads from the stat’s purpose simply being to try and give an indication of who had the better chances - hardly an irrelevant concept, it’s something that fans always talk about after a game.

True, it could have been named "Quality of Chances", short "QoC", pronounced rooster, and given fleet street a field day with headlines left, right and center. "rooster-up at the Lane" and "Huge rise in rooster at Anfield" leaps forward!

Really? How many has he scored? 1,2 down the years? Even one of them was deflected.
‘‘Twas a joke my friend. I did hear a commentator say it once, which caused considerable mirth on here.

In answer to your question, one, off the head of the Villa wall. So he’s never scored a direct free kick which is why I made the joke.

enjoy in all its glory:

https://fb.watch/a096CPebJo/

Last edited:
Its the most useless stat i have seen and is used to create even more argument about who deserved to win. We were expected to score 1.65 and Liverpool 1.29 but it ended 2-2 so how is it even relevant?
Because it reflects the fairness of the result. If you look at just the result, a 0-2 game might lead you to think the visitors ran out comfortable winners. Then you see the xG was 3.58 - 0.05 and that tells you that the home team was very wasteful (or the opposition keeper had a worldie) and the visitors had a couple 1-in-50 shots that went in. So it puts the result in context. And in our match it was also obvious from watching it that we should have won, so the xG just reflected the true picture of the game. It basically confirmed what we saw with our own eyes.

That's it, really.

‘‘Twas a joke my friend. I did hear a commentator say it one, which caused considerable mirth on here.

In answer to your question, one, off the head of the Villa wall. So he’s never scored a direct free kick which is why I made the joke.

enjoy in all its glory:

https://fb.watch/a096CPebJo/

I should have known better! Always annoys me when commentators go on about Kane taking the free kicks ‘as he’s dangerous in these positions’. Normally think how much do they get paid for this lazy commentary.

1. Ndombele - great assist, but this is Liverpool. Too many times, the turns, the skills he so often relied upon were pressured and he floundered, losing the ball often in dangerous positions. I'm sure Conte was not overly happy with the performance in total, we got lucky he didn't cost us a goal. No qualms with him being sold/loaned
I sit in row 5 so I've got a poor view really, but that was my take on Ndombele. Dele I would keep if we can play him, Winks still not so sure.

It’s just an indication of who had the better chances. How is that not relevant? By your logic do you think every stat in the game is irrelevant?

I can’t help but suspect it’s the name ‘expected goals’ that most makes people dislike the stat. Maybe the name distracts and misleads from the stat’s purpose simply being to try and give an indication of who had the better chances - hardly an irrelevant concept, it’s something that fans always talk about after a game.
Isn’t that what shots / on target / off target and key chances are for?

Isn’t that what shots / on target / off target and key chances are for?
The only stats that matter are goals scored and goals conceded. Everything else is fluff.

However, speaking as someone who spends far too much of his time on a Spurs messageboard, we care about the fluff.

Goals aside, xG is just a single stat that attempts to indicate how many goals should have been scored. It can be taken alongside shots on/off target and key chances as part of the overall analysis, but it's not some sort of GHod stat. Indeed, xG itself varies according to the organisation doing the stats.

That said, xG could be considered a refined version of the key chances stat. Who defines whether a chance is key or not? xG adds some structure to that and gives every chance a value based on the nature of that chance, based on previous statistical analysis.

Brings back memories of that glorious day where we had all of Sheringham, Iverson and Armstrong out, so had to start at Old Trafford with Rory Allen and Neale Fenn upfront. Good times
I was at that game, went to a club up there called Sanky Soap the night before.... I think I remember Beckham scoring a free kick that day in a 2-0 defeat (but lots of those old games blur into one.... especially after them generally being combined with nights at places like Sanky Soap beforehand!)

Ground is now where near as busy as usual which is good… but it does mean people aren’t coming for their own reasons which isn’t so good (I mean that as in their fearful for the right reasons for them)
Will be interesting to see the attendance numbers
Probably quite a number isolating.... 2 of the party of 7 that I usually go with still had a couple of days of isolation left after positive tests just over a week ago.

I was at that game, went to a club up there called Sanky Soap the night before.... I think I remember Beckham scoring a free kick that day in a 2-0 defeat (but lots of those old games blur into one.... especially after them generally being combined with nights at places like Sanky Soap beforehand!)
That was a good club
Used to be a proper dance music venue
That abd wobble in Birmingham

Plenty of positives, Winks and Dele best performances for a very long time. Sessegnon too.

Feels like as many good chances as we’d get in 4 games under previous regimes.

Shame we didn’t get the three points, Wouldn’t mind seeing the same midfield with Skipp in for Ndombele and Moura potentially a RWB.

Winks moved the ball well and quickly but also thought the long passing over the top was good from Dier and Sanchez, Dele making the runs he used to when Toby was pinging diagonals.
Skipp in for Ndombele and we lose the ability to have a player being able to put in a single pass assist.
Moura for Royal and we lose a lot of defensive stability (admittedly for the potential of more attacking threat).

Think it's the accidental thing again, may be wrong?
Thing is if his hand hadn't knocked it forward Lloris would not have lunged and palmed the ball away for them to score.
If Lloris hadn't come and punched and Mane scored then it would've been disallowed for handball. However after Lloris punched the ball that apparently starts a new phase of play and the accidental handball is then no longer a factor. The rules were applied correctly in this case unfortunately.

Back