• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham - Southampton Official No match thread ?

Thought we quite poor today. Very lethargic build-up for the most part and a few players playing like little girls. Commitment is the absolute minimum that should be demanded considering the vast sums they earn.

Interesting that he took Bentaleg [sic] off, rather than Mason.

There was some heavy duty anti-Mason commentary on here when we went behind, but I thought he had a decent game; not as good as Bentaleb, though, who was our best player, in my view.
Bentaleb pulled up with a cramp and was having big troubbles running.

We can thank our lucky stars for that point because we certainly didn't deserve it. The only good thing I can say is that we were effective. Two goals in two and half chance. A real shame we didn't manage to get more shots on target. Against Kelvin Davies you don't need to do much more than hitting the target.

They were the better team through the game, created plenty of opportunities, better organised, sharper, quicker, technically better, quite simply better as individuals and as a collective.

Going forward we are incredibly slow, nothing is free flowing, every player who is on the ball seems to struggle to find a good solution.
Defensively it is too easy to create chances against us, regardless of whether we press high as we did in the first half, or sit deeper like we did towards the end of the game.

Ben Davies had a mare today, hardly did anything right.
Fazio once again seemed to caught completely off guard when Southampton very surprisngly pinged a cross into the box towards a big striker. I think he was even their only man in there. Be more alert, for fudge's sake, get some body contact, don't let him take three steps freely and then meet the ball without competition.

Dier deserves credit for two good assists, and was the best player in the back four defensively too. Chadli took his goal well, and was the only player who showed anything positive before his goal too. A couple of nice runs down the left and at least one good cross for Mason. I can't say too much positive about the rest.

Pochettino needs to be more proactive rather than reactive for me. In the second half at 1-1, they were dominating completely, so do something before it is too late. I thought Dembele should have been brought on the stabilise things in the middle of the park where we were being overrun.

This best represents my view of today. I would add the referee was a homer. I like the fact we're not arguing all the time, but the captain ought to have a word as required .... and today it very much was.

I don't give a crud about how Southampton played their football. The matter of the fact is that they managed to create 6 or 7 clear cut opportunities against us. Whether they did that through long balls or not is relevant, we need to cope better with it. And I think they created chances in various ways. On the counter, on set pieces, on crosses, through combination play centrally and we couldn't defend against any of these things. Our defending is not good enough.

And when we play against settled defences, we have nothing to offer. What are we trying to do? I don't see anything that seems to be planned or practiced. It's been that way all season. One players receives the ball, looks around, doesn't see any good alternatives, passes to another player, the same happens and in the ball ends up at Hugo's feet. It seems like it is always up to the individual player to try to get something going. What do we practice in training? Is it all about running around, being aggressive and working hard?

We struggle against cave man football, been so for some time, imo it's because our back line pushes up, our FBs are often overcommitted and out of position, hence long ball to pace catches us out.

Our outlet/creative play comes a lot from same said FBs (note both goals came from Dier), without both Walker & Rose in the side, we look less creative.

That said, it's not that we were under pressure for large spells of the game or overrun, we controlled the game, we played like the home side, they countered and it did result in 6 or 7 chances, but I'd argue they were lucky to get the two they did.

Same as always. He's decent, but same sort of level as Mason and Bentaleb, so not worth the £25m he'll cost.
Yeah. Nothing amazing from him I thought, and since we have been linked to him I have been watching him very closely and his performances have just been OK or sometimes above average. I think Bentaleb is as good in the position and ultimately will be a better player than him. I'd prefer to throw that money in the pot for for an attacking player.

We struggle against cave man football, been so for some time, imo it's because our back line pushes up, our FBs are often overcommitted and out of position, hence long ball to pace catches us out.

Our outlet/creative play comes a lot from same said FBs (note both goals came from Dier), without both Walker & Rose in the side, we look less creative.

That said, it's not that we were under pressure for large spells of the game or overrun, we controlled the game, we played like the home side, they countered and it did result in 6 or 7 chances, but I'd argue they were lucky to get the two they did.
I think calling it caveman football is going a bit far. They did play some long balls towards Pelle and for Mane to run at, but they also showed more inventive attacking play than us. We had a lot of the ball perhaps, but you need to do something with it and we very rarely did. Having possession is not a point in itself.

Anyway, we need to deal better with what we are up against. If we are having trouble with a team's style of play, we need to adjust to it and find a way to cope. We can't say: "Oh, they were a bit direct and we prefer playing against teams who like to pass the ball around neatly without being too threatening, so it is no wonder we struggled." We don't play Swansea every week. Many teams in England are physical and direct, so if you can't cope with that, you are in trouble.

I don't see how you can say they were lucky to get the two they did. We scored on our only two clear chances, so surely we were the lucky ones. They were a bit wasteful, yes, but they were clearly the most threatening team in the game and missed some golden opportunities.

We've already got Alli and possibly Winks coming in. I'd rather back Mason, Bentaleb and those two, than waste big money on someone marginally/no better like Schneiderlin.

It doesn't have to be Schneiderlin, but it does have to be someone better than Alli/Winks/Mason.

It doesn't have to be Schneiderlin, but it does have to be someone better than Alli/Winks/Mason.

Can you think of someone for under £15m who fits our system? I can't.

I'd much rather we spent all our efforts fixing our front 4 options instead.

Can you think of someone for under £15m who fits our system? I can't.

I'd much rather we spent all our efforts fixing our front 4 options instead.

Our current CM is soft and not good enough and the youngsters coming in aren't going to fix that for at least a couple more seasons.

Our options for the AM/FW positions are better, relatively speaking.

according to winks old man he is a bit disillusioned at tre moment as he spent the first half of the season in the first team set up and had now been out in with the under 21S

Our current CM is soft and not good enough and the youngsters coming in aren't going to fix that for at least a couple more seasons.

Our options for the AM/FW positions are better, relatively speaking.

I disagree and think that the attacking mid options are awful. We have so few options there of any quality other than erisken and chadli because of his goals

I disagree and think that the attacking mid options are awful. We have so few options there of any quality other than erisken and chadli because of his goals

We should look for someone to play behind Kane, but that's less urgent than a CM, FW and maybe even a new first choice CB to replace Vertonghen.

Back