• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham offered Jonas

Interesting stuff here. So we could get Jonas in and ship out say Ceballos or Friedel? If that's true, then I'd be all for it, assuming we want Jonas, as we need another striker. Our failure to get Welbeck is a big blow to us I think.

If we can, I guess there's not much to lose giving him a 6-month deal.

The only thing though is he's really a CF, and we already have 3 of those for 1 position (which is ample).

I'm not sure he can play the Rodriguez/Welbeck LWF role that we are after.

The issue is whether we can register him in the 25. If we had free slots there wouldn't be a problem, but we've used them all.

If we can, I guess there's not much to lose giving him a 6-month deal.

The only thing though is he's really a CF, and we already have 3 of those for 1 position (which is ample).

I'm not sure he can play the Rodriguez/Welbeck LWF role that we are after.

Fair comments, but Kane Ade Soldado can all at a push play the 'non-CF' role. Quite often Ade or Soldado will go wide, whether that's a good thing is another matter and Kane sometimes plays 'second striker/No. 10, whatever.

I always think in terms of a front six, rather than worry too much about 4-2-3-1 or whatever. IF Jonas is good enough, then probably we could fit two 'strikers' in at times. The key thing for me is depth. For example, I think Ade should be rest for the Sunderland game, then we have other games coming up very quickly.

IF we want to win a trophy our experience over the past 5 years points undeniably to the fact that we keep going into key quarter/semi final games with substandard teams because of a lack of squad depth. West Ham killed our defence last season in the lge by the simple tactic of lobbing high balls at us because Allardyce guessed correctly our makeshift defence wouldn't cope, and as for the Benfica games, .......

This problem has been repeated at other times, we lacked key players v Portsmouth for example, IIRC.

That's why I'm disappointed we didn't fill our squad up to the 25 max. A Welbeck and a Shawcross type taking our HG quota to 8 would have made me a lot happier.

Last edited:
The issue is whether we can register him in the 25. If we had free slots there wouldn't be a problem, but we've used them all.

Agreed this is the key issue, and I still don't know if we could push out someone to make room for Jonas. Intuitively I'd say no, but not sure now after reading the thread.

**** it, on a free, why not? 6-18 months of wages is hardly a gamble, the upside vs. downside is clearly a good bet.

Might be worth it even if can only play in cups, give him and Soldado a run out and see if their is any old magic there

Fair comments, but Kane Ade Soldado can all at a push play the 'non-CF' role. Quite often Ade or Soldado will go wide, whether that's a good thing is another matter and Kane sometimes plays 'second striker/No. 10, whatever.

I always think in terms of a front six, rather than worry too much about 4-2-3-1 or whatever. IF Jonas is good enough, then probably we could fit two 'strikers' in at times. The key thing for me is depth. For example, I think Ade should be rest for the Sunderland game, then we have other games coming up very quickly.

IF we want to win a trophy our experience over the past 5 years points undeniably to the fact that we keep going into key quarter/semi final games with substandard teams because of a lack of squad depth. West Ham killed our defence last season in the lge by the simple tactic of lobbing high balls at us because Allardyce guessed correctly our makeshift defence wouldn't cope, and as for the Benfica games, .......

This problem has been repeated at other times, we lacked key players v Portsmouth for example, IIRC.

That's why I'm disappointed we didn't fill our squad up to the 25 max. A Welbeck and a Shawcross type taking our HG quota to 8 would have made me a lot happier.

16M for Wellbeck is a gamble though .. Jonas on a free is almost a risk free roll of the dice.

The bench against Pool really bothered me, with 3 cups and PL, one injury to our strikers and we are suddenly very light, add a suspension in and we are ****ed ..

If he is any good how did he manage to go the whole summer without finding a club before the deadline!?

...or was he injured?

don't free agents of all kids get offered around quite a fair bit throughout the season, kinda like us going through linkedin looking for a job.

the key question is did we accept.

Do you realistically see Levy signing this guy? It would be an admission he f***ed up in the transfer window! Levy admitting a mistake? Are you joking!!!????

Next....

16M for Wellbeck is a gamble though .. Jonas on a free is almost a risk free roll of the dice.

The bench against Pool really bothered me, with 3 cups and PL, one injury to our strikers and we are suddenly very light, add a suspension in and we are ****ed ..

Well most/all buys are some kind of gamble, but Welbeck at £16m is surely less of a gamble than Lamela Soldado Paulinho who all cost more, considerably more in two cases. Welbeck is Prem proven, the amount of gambling we did last summer on players who weren't is quite shocking in retrospect.

It's early days, but already it seems likely we'll be regretting not getting Danny boy.

Well most/all buys are some kind of gamble, but Welbeck at £16m is surely less of a gamble than Lamela Soldado Paulinho who all cost more, considerably more in two cases. Welbeck is Prem proven, the amount of gambling we did last summer on players who weren't is quite shocking in retrospect.

It's early days, but already it seems likely we'll be regretting not getting Danny boy.

Really? proven, Wellbeck's goal record in 20 in 90 appearances, yes I get all the out of position/substitution excuses, but lets be clear, he's not proven.

PS - Tom Carroll played 90 minutes and captained his country. Not bad for a kid who can't get a sniff in our team

Really? proven, Wellbeck's goal record in 20 in 90 appearances, yes I get all the out of position/substitution excuses, but lets be clear, he's not proven.

Matter of opinion I guess. To me he's a Prem-proven striker/attacker, and far less of a gamble than Soldado and Lamela were.

I agree his goalscoring record isn't good for a striker, but he must be doing something right as it seems like he's played over 100 Prem games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Welbeck

He's also won a Prem title medal which is more than any of our current squad possess AFAIK. (Plus a Lge cup winners medal in the final against us).

Depends to a large extent as what 'proven' means. For me it's something like he's proved he's good enough to play regularly in that division.

Last edited:

Well said. A case could be made that Wellbeck is a proven top 4 player, let alone a PL player, and he's just been bought by another top 4 team.

If Wellbeck isn't considered a proven player in the PL then I'd like to know who is.

And oh, while we are at it...looking at our team do we have any proven PL players then? (Besides Ade who people seem to hate and/or think is crap).

Last edited:
Back