• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham offered Jonas

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
From the Daily Fail.

Tottenham Hotspur offered free agent striker Jonas to help add options up top for Mauricio Pochettino at White Hart Lane
•Jonas has been released by Valencia and is keen on a move to the Premier League with either Tottenham or Sunderland
•Benfica are interested and can guarantee him a regular place in the team
•The striker’s agent Tiago Goncalves says the player’s 'future will become clearer in the coming days'

Tottenham have been offered free agent striker Jonas.
The 30-year-old Brazilian has interest from Benfica and has also been pushed to Sunderland.
Jonas has been released by Valencia and is keen on a move to the Premier League but knows he could be a regular starter at Benfica.

Sunderland were contacted by the striker’s agent Tiago Goncalves who says the player’s 'future will become clearer in the coming days'.
Tottenham remain light in attack, with manager Mauricio Pochettino having just Emmanuel Adebayor, Roberto Soldado and Harry Kane to choose from.

Link

Good player, when I've seen him. Good relationship with Soldado too. As cover, not bad at all.

25 player closed deadline?

So he'll be avaliable for League cup games only (if even them) up till January? Seems unlikely

Think it's a nonsense link, papers need something to write about and his agent is probably working hard getting his name around.
It's not totally impossible to register a new player for us, I still believe there's a spot open in our Europa League list. And it's technically possible to loan out Ceballos and use last open spot for a player that is free agent and have been so since before the transfer deadline, like Jonas.
Fairly certain this isn't anything we're going for though

So he'll be avaliable for League cup games only (if even them) up till January? Seems unlikely
Players who are out of contract can be added to squad lists after the deadline has closed. I don't know where we are with our non-homegrown players though.

We're at the limit, which is why all the clamour for Bony on deadline day was laughable...

We're at the limit, which is why all the clamour for Bony on deadline day was laughable...

I'm sure that had somebody like Bony been signed then Ceballos wouldn't have got a PL squad place - especially as he is extremely unlikely to figure in any PL games anyway.

I'm sure that had somebody like Bony been signed then Ceballos wouldn't have got a PL squad place - especially as he is extremely unlikely to figure in any PL games anyway.

This. You prioritise players and then choose the squad. It's like if we had a chance to sign Messi, would we have said no because our squad was too full?! Of course not!! That's an extreme example but it serves my point.

He, Jenas, spends enough time at White Hart Lane still, I'm just waiting for him to become a future ambassador for the club. After all, he contributed more than Andy Sinton for the club!

Yep not at all sure if we can change the squad(s) now to get this guy in. Assuming we're interested in the first place.

I don't think he can play any games till January. He'll need to move to a country with a different window, like Russia or Brazil.

Players who are out of contract can be added to squad lists after the deadline has closed. I don't know where we are with our non-homegrown players though.

I'm pretty sure they can't. We went through all these discussions with Stephen Appiah a few years ago.

We've already named our 17 O/S players anyway (BAE and BK had to be excluded because we had too many)

I'm pretty sure they can't. We went through all these discussions with Stephen Appiah a few years ago.

We've already named our 17 O/S players anyway (BAE and BK had to be excluded because we had too many)
It's only Wikipedia but:

Free agents*can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

I suppose that in theory we could loan a non-homegrown player to a Championship side to make space but I cannot see it happening.

It's only Wikipedia but:

Free agents*can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

I suppose that in theory we could loan a non-homegrown player to a Championship side to make space but I cannot see it happening.

It would make it really easy to circumvent the whole transfer window system though.

Imagine we want Schneiderlin to play for us at the weekend
- We pay Southampton £40m to transfer Rodriguez to us in January
- Southampton release Schneiderlin
- We sign and register free agent Schneiderlin

I think the subtlety in the wording is that we could sign Jonas now (like all free agents can sign pre-contracts). But we wouldn't be able to register him till January,

It would make it really easy to circumvent the whole transfer window system though.

Imagine we want Schneiderlin to play for us at the weekend
- We pay Southampton £40m to transfer Rodriguez to us in January
- Southampton release Schneiderlin
- We sign and register free agent Schneiderlin

I think the subtlety in the wording is that we could sign Jonas now (like all free agents can sign pre-contracts). But we wouldn't be able to register him till January,

We can sign him now if he was already a free agent before the transfer window closed. Palace signed Andy Johnson a day or two after.

Interesting stuff here. So we could get Jonas in and ship out say Ceballos or Friedel? If that's true, then I'd be all for it, assuming we want Jonas, as we need another striker. Our failure to get Welbeck is a big blow to us I think.

Back