• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs S.L. Benfica OMT ***

I'm of the mind to go all in for this match. Qualification for the CL looks a bit of a pipe dream at this stage so this is the last competition with something realistically at stake. Let's go for it.[/QUOTE]

This. Need a good result and a good performance to give us all a boost to take into the final push

Lloris; Walker,Kaboul,Vertonghen,Fryers; Lennon,Sandro,Dembele,Eriksen; Adebayor,Soldado

Massive that we try not to concede an away goal, though I respect Benfica as an attacking unit.

Hope that Soldado & Ade play....really would like us to get some flair on the pitch and have a go. This is a massive week for us and I hope the fans are up for Thursday and then Sunday. Would love us to go all the way and win this trophy. Reckon this will be an epic game....would be really pleased if we could eek out a win and keep a clean sheet.

This. Need a good result and a good performance to give us all a boost to take into the final push

Lloris; Walker,Kaboul,Vertonghen,Fryers; Lennon,Sandro,Dembele,Eriksen; Adebayor,Soldado

Yep I'd go with that team too. We badly need a good result from this match. A defeat in Europe could be a mortal blow for our confidence and Sherwood's sanity.

I know we'll have one day less rest than Arsenal but an erection inducing win might just be a better tonic than another day between matches. Arsenal had a pretty tough game tonight and a few of their players looked shattered by the final whistle. Add in a bit of travel on top, and the annual early exit from the CL and bada bing. Lets make this the best week of the season. COYS.

Whatever happens against Benfica, Spurs have lasted longer in Europe this season than Arsenal have.

Eriksen is apparently fit and bearing in mind Dawson, Chiriches, Rose, Lamela, Dembele and Capoue are all out for both games.

I'd go with:

Team vs Benfica:

......................Lloris......................
Walker..Kaboul..Vertonghen..Naughton
Lennon....Sandro....Bentaleb....Chadli
............Adebayor...Soldado............

Team vs Arsenal

.....................Lloris...................
Walker..Kaboul..Vertonghen..Fryers
.............Sandro..Paulinho.............
Townsend......Eriksen.....Sigurdsson
.................Adebayor..................

I think Pauli will do better on this type of game than against the goons so I'd go sandro Pauli in the centre,

I also agree with the early comment- we should have stuck with the wonky but with a proper dm in there to provide a bit if defensive cover. Classic FM mistake to keep chopping and changing formation each week, better to develop one style the players can play and then go from there.

I'd go
Lloris
Walker Kabul Verts naughton
Lennon sandro Pauli Eriksen
ADE Soldado

Townsend for Lennon, Bentaleb for Pauli and siggy for Eriksen

I think the above team will give a good account of themselves 2-1 spurs bobby and Pauli.

As much as i see the EL as a hindrance, we're in it and we have to try and win it.
Lets face it, given our points deficit and appalling goal difference, the odds are against us finishing 4th now.
I say play the strongest team and then pray that as many as possible are fit and firing for Sunday. To be honest, any player that plays tomorrow night and can't then get himself up for the NLD at the Lane on Sunday afternoon doesn't get Spurs and shouldn't be on the pitch.
We are only an injury to Kaboul away from Fryers starting as CB on Sunday, but that's the way it is. To Dare is To Do and all that!
COYS

Bookies have Benfica as favourites to qualify.

[Edit] but the bookies also think we're more likely to win the cup. How does that work then if Benfica have knocked us out?

Last edited:
I think Pauli will do better on this type of game than against the goons so I'd go sandro Pauli in the centre,

I also agree with the early comment- we should have stuck with the wonky but with a proper dm in there to provide a bit if defensive cover. Classic FM mistake to keep chopping and changing formation each week, better to develop one style the players can play and then go from there.

I'd go
Lloris
Walker Kabul Verts naughton
Lennon sandro Pauli Eriksen
ADE Soldado

Townsend for Lennon, Bentaleb for Pauli and siggy for Eriksen

I think the above team will give a good account of themselves 2-1 spurs bobby and Pauli.

Absolutely agree with the bolded bit.

However, Townsend should be given the nod over Lennon though - he offers so much more potency. Lennon to be kept as an impact sub until he gets his brio back.

Also, we can't afford to play Invisiblinho/Passengerinho/secondgearinho in important games as he has shown himself too much of a liability in them and we need all 11 players to work really hard for the team and not go MIA. Maybe best to keep him for the lesser teams and hope he is suffering from "first season syndrome" and will come good next season ( rather like the Sandro, Tevez and Mascherino did, for example)..

Absolutely agree with the bolded bit.

However, Townsend should be given the nod over Lennon though - he offers so much more potency. Lennon to be kept as an impact sub until he gets his brio back.

Also, we can't afford to play Invisiblinho/Passengerinho/secondgearinho in important games as he has shown himself too much of a liability in them and we need all 11 players to work really hard for the team and not go MIA. Maybe best to keep him for the lesser teams and hope he is suffering from "first season syndrome" and will come good next season ( rather like the Sandro, Tevez and Mascherino did, for example)..

:-"

Only joking, I know what you mean really

I watched the goons game last night. I was hoping for 2-0, then extra time and them to lose on pens and suffer a few injuries! Oh well.

The most striking difference for me (apart from their technically more accomplished players) was their running off the ball. The player in possession always seemed to have two or three options. Us, barely one. We MUST start to run off the ball and not be so statue like in games.

Lloris could take a lesson from Fabianski too and throw the ball out at every opportunity rather than kicking it straight to an opponent. His distribution is appalling and needs to be corrected fast.

Latest news from the Benfica camp is that there is a strong possiblity that Oscar Cardozo will start the game, thus Rodrigo or/and Lima will be placed on the bench. Has a record of 9 goals in 11 games vs English teams.

Also Fejsa seems to be struggeling with an injury. Might be replaced by Ruben Amorim or Andre Gomes.

Jorge Jesus has again stressed that the main objective is the domestic league, so there might be room for fringe players such as Djuricic and Silvio to start the game.

Difficult team to pick if you ask me given the NLD on Sunday and impossible for us to predict given teh unknown status of injuries. Without a doubt, I would want out strongest 11 fully firing for Sunday and therefore I would want at least half of Sunday's team having the night off on Thursday. Thurs is going to be an all-guns blazing atmosphere so will drain the players both physically and emotionally - we dont want many starting both games. I would therefore make sure a few fringe players play on Thurs: Chadli, Siggy, Fryers and then work back from there.

If Timmy isnt going to start Townsend on Sunday then he starts on Thurs. Maybe the front four on Thurs are Chadli, Siggy, Townsend and Soldado and then Lennon, Eriksen, Ade and Soldado on Sunday?

In midfield we definitely need Sandro on Sunday so I would hold him back on Thurs if we have enough fit CMs. Maybe you go Paulinho and Bentaleb on Thurs and Sandro plus Paulinho/Dembele on Sun?

At teh back, Kaboul surely cant play Thurs and Sun either which means he cant play on Thurs as Sun has to be the priority. If that means Velkjovis starts on Thurs then so be it. If Daws and Chiriches are out then Velkjovic has to start on Thurs. At full back, maybe you play Walker in both and then Fryers on Thurs and Naughton on Sun. In goal, Lloris can play both.

Therefore, guessing on the injury situation you have:

Thursday:

------------------------Lloris-------------------

---Walker----Velkjovic----Vertonghen---Fryers

---------------Bentaleb----Paulinho-------------

--Townsend---------Siggy-------------Chadli

---------------------Soldado-------------------

Sunday:

---Walker----Kaboul----Vertonghen---Naughton

----------------Sandro----Paulinho/Dembele-----
--Lennon----------------------------------Eriksen

---------------Adebayor------Soldado-------------

Not convinced by the THursday team but Sunday is priority and we have a few players out....

Difficult team to pick if you ask me given the NLD on Sunday and impossible for us to predict given teh unknown status of injuries. Without a doubt, I would want out strongest 11 fully firing for Sunday and therefore I would want at least half of Sunday's team having the night off on Thursday. Thurs is going to be an all-guns blazing atmosphere so will drain the players both physically and emotionally - we dont want many starting both games. I would therefore make sure a few fringe players play on Thurs: Chadli, Siggy, Fryers and then work back from there.

If Timmy isnt going to start Townsend on Sunday then he starts on Thurs. Maybe the front four on Thurs are Chadli, Siggy, Townsend and Soldado and then Lennon, Eriksen, Ade and Soldado on Sunday?

In midfield we definitely need Sandro on Sunday so I would hold him back on Thurs if we have enough fit CMs. Maybe you go Paulinho and Bentaleb on Thurs and Sandro plus Paulinho/Dembele on Sun?

At teh back, Kaboul surely cant play Thurs and Sun either which means he cant play on Thurs as Sun has to be the priority. If that means Velkjovis starts on Thurs then so be it. If Daws and Chiriches are out then Velkjovic has to start on Thurs. At full back, maybe you play Walker in both and then Fryers on Thurs and Naughton on Sun. In goal, Lloris can play both.

Therefore, guessing on the injury situation you have:

Thursday:

---Walker----Velkjovic----Vertonghen---Fryers

---------------Bentaleb----Paulinho-------------

--Townsend---------Siggy-------------Chadli

---------------------Soldado-------------------

Sunday:

---Walker----Kaboul----Vertonghen---Naughton

----------------Sandro----Paulinho/Dembele-----
--Lennon----------------------------------Eriksen

---------------Adebayor------Soldado-------------

Not convinced by the THursday team but Sunday is priority and we have a few players out....

I have been saying for ages that we should pick the Sunday team and work backwards. Neither manager has done this and we have always paid the penalty on Sunday.

Too late now though. We have to go hell for leather in all remaining games and hope for the best. A win with our full-ish strength team on Thursday would be a welcome boost for Sunday and hopefully give the players (and fans!) a welcome lift. Some goals for Solly and Ade would be good too.

Danny Rose is back in the frame alongside Christian Eriksen for our Europa League Round of 16, first leg against Benfica at the Lane on Thursday night.

The full-back has returned to training after suffering a knee injury at Norwich City on February 23.

"Danny has trained for two or three days now," said Head Coach, Tim Sherwood. "We’ve got him back quickly after he went off against Norwich and he’s not lost that much training."

We reported yesterday that Christian was training again ahead of Thursday night's huge tie.

"It's good to have Christian back, we’ve all seen how he can affect football matches, so we hope he can do the same again, if selected," added Tim.

And the news is positive on Michael Dawson, who was forced off at Chelsea with a hamstring injury on Saturday. "We’re confident he’ll be back in the fold in a couple of weeks," said Tim.

Mousa Dembele remains a doubt after missing the Chelsea match with a hamstring problem. "There is improvement in Mousa but we’ll leave that decision until we know more tomorrow. He’ll certainly be a doubt," explained Tim.

Vlad Chiriches (back), Erik Lamela (back) and Etienne Capoue (ankle) remain sidelined

Back