• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. Everton OMT ***

We've been brought utterly low in the new order?! What have our league positions be in the last few years? It's like the 90's/early 2000's never happened! (Unless you were talking about that period bringing us down and not the current regime (last 10 years) that's taken us from relegation candidates to champs league candidates?)

You misunderstand me. Historically, we were both among the big five clubs in England: the biggest clubs in the land, used to competing for titles or trophies (in the case of Liverpool and Arsenal, usually both at the same time). Since then, a combination of incompetence (1990's - early 2000's in our case) and penny-pinching (2000's onward in both our cases) have reduced us both to a level now where winning the Carling Cup once a decade and 'competing' for top four is the best we can hope for, while the likes of Chelsea and City usurp us in terms of both trophies won and prestige garnered, creating a new big five with the same three top players (Arsenal, Liverpool and United) but with them replacing us as the other two.

What peaks and troughs occur within this period of decline can be discussed ad infinitum: point being, we've fallen from where we were, and we haven't gotten back up there. We've plateaued at a level below the one we were at when the PL kicked in, and are now assailed by doubt and the prospect of a steady decline into further irrelevance due to bad decisions and 'responsible' (hah!) ownership.

Hence, both us and Everton are alike, and our fans consequently sound alike. Whether ENIC or Sugar caused the decline in our case is not the issue: we haven't recovered from it.

121.6 - Spurs' players ran 121.6km in their Premier League game against Everton; 5km further than any other side at the weekend.

Impressive for sure. Slightly unrealistic to think that we'll be able to consistently run that much further than other teams, but good to have that capability.

Good to see our academy products leading the way =D>

@TalkingTHFC: Kane covered the most distance (13km) for Spurs, with Mason (12.9km) and Eriksen (12.7km) pressing well also. #THFC

Thought it might be the inclusion of more players like Kane, Mason and Bentaleb with a lot of desire and energy over older, perhaps more complacent, players. Super impressive by Eriksen who has been criticized (rightly imo) in the past. I remember him saying to the press a couple of weeks ago that he could do 90 minutes and I think he showed that.

Slightly worrying that we put in such a massive effort considering the Chelsea game. Hopefully the players will be up for another massive effort on Wednesday.

Thought it might be the inclusion of more players like Kane, Mason and Bentaleb with a lot of desire and energy over older, perhaps more complacent, players. Super impressive by Eriksen who has been criticized (rightly imo) in the past. I remember him saying to the press a couple of weeks ago that he could do 90 minutes and I think he showed that.

Slightly worrying that we put in such a massive effort considering the Chelsea game. Hopefully the players will be up for another massive effort on Wednesday.

Perhaps Poch earmarked this one as the game to win, with the Chelsea game subsequently becoming the 'sit back and nick a point' ploy that we used against Arsenal?

Perhaps Poch earmarked this one as the game to win, with the Chelsea game subsequently becoming the 'sit back and nick a point' ploy that we used against Arsenal?

Well, we sat back quite a bit against Everton (hence their high possession numbers), but we did so with a lot of effort and aggression too. And we got men forward on the break.

I agree that on the day the Chelsea game shouldn't be a consideration and the players obviously ran themselves into the ground. Just a slight worry considering less rest, Thursday game preceding it etc.

Well, we sat back quite a bit against Everton (hence their high possession numbers), but we did so with a lot of effort and aggression too. And we got men forward on the break.

I agree that on the day the Chelsea game shouldn't be a consideration and the players obviously ran themselves into the ground. Just a slight worry considering less rest, Thursday game preceding it etc.

It's a legitimate concern, but if anything we'll have to stand off even more and sit even deeper against Chelsea given their propensity for quick turnovers and counter-attacking play. Possibly less effort involved there than closing down Everton?

It's a legitimate concern, but if anything we'll have to stand off even more and sit even deeper against Chelsea given their propensity for quick turnovers and counter-attacking play. Possibly less effort involved there than closing down Everton?

I think that there is a fair chance that Chelsea might let us have the ball and then try and force us into making errors in possession.

I do wonder if we would have more points if we started the season with the back from yesterday.

Fazio and jan looked solid together and whilst Davies isn't at the top of his game yet he is a marked improvement in Rose.

Thought Vlad did ok at right back as well.

Even if it was for just a couple of home games (Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke), we'd be on 26 and comfortably in top-4. Heck, just ONE game and we'd be sitting 4th. Which makes it even more amazing that with the crap we've been playing until recently we're still only 2 pts off fourth.

We seem to have a healthy habit of coming from a goal down vs Everton to win at home; since the PL was formed:

- 1992/93: late, late 2-1 win after spending most if the most a goal down. Andy Turner (remember him??) with the winner. I think this must rank as one of the biggest roberries we have ever inflicted in the PL era, Everton were all over us the whole game

- 1993/94: another late, late win when we were 1-0 down then spent most of the second half 2-1 own IIRC. Darren Caskey made it 3-2 with a late, late winner...

- 1999/00: yet another late, late in; we were 2-1 down again in the second half but IIRC late second half goals from Leonhardsen and then a late Iversen winner meant we won 3-2 again. Incidentally the midfield we had tat day I thought would have been a match for most teams: Leonhardsen, Sherwood, Anderton and Ginola. Not the youngest by any means but lots of guile and wilyness; imo such a shame that the Goonersaurus didn't get to play this 4 most weeks (mainly due to Anderton's sicknotes..)

- 2000/2001: ah, yet another 3-2 home win vs Everton, this time from 2-0 down early on! Rebrov getting a goal back before half-time with his first strike before netting again via a penno early in the second half before Les Ferdinand sealed the comeback. Don't think it was as late this time, but we were further behind so just as satisfying!

I also remember a few comeback wins in the mid to late 80s, such as in Lineker's first season when we again came back from a goal down to win 2-1.
(I will NOT mention one of the last games at the lane before the dawn of the PL era when WE lead 3-0 against the Toffees only to end up drawing 3-1....:oops:)

Are there any Stattos that can confirm whether Everton are the team we have had the most comeback wins against in the PL era (or beyond)?

They honestly must be sick of the sight of WHL, given the number of times they have had wins snatched from them (plus they have only won 3 times down here in since the end of the 1985/86 season)...

Lovely performance yesterday, keep it up lads:p

i dont think he mean to hit it as perfect as he did, but it wasnt miss hit.. lovely finish

I think his intention was the reverse to the far post to go behind the players racing back to cover, he would never score near post there, he must have known that

Really happy with the performance and the win. Thought we played well in the first half and deserved to win by more than than 2 goals. But a bit disappointed we didn't step in the second half. Everton were poor and apart from the goal, they didn't look like threatening us. We really could have won by a bigger margin if we had continued the good performance in the second half. Instead, we put ourselves under undue pressure until the match was over.

Nice to see Kane having another good game, even if he didn't score. Big credit to Eriksen for continuing his goal run and Soldado for scoring his first goal of the season. Hope this will boost Soldado's confidence to score more goals for us. Wish Lamela had scored his first ever league goal for us as well. That would have been sweet ! Happy to see our midfield of Bentaleb and Mason outplaying the Everton midfield. But not sure if this is our long term midfield. We still need a top class defensive midfielder to anchor the midfield.

Really disapppointed we conceded the goal so early in the match. We are simply conceding too many early goals now. Fortunately, we did well to recover and win. But not sure we can do that all the time, especially against bigger teams. Lloris seems to be conceding too many long range goals now. Can't blame him for the Everton goal but our defence should have stopped the player from taking that shot.

We still need to improve greatly our home record this season. Hope this win will help our confidence when playing at home.

=D>Yes, they really should be applauded for their efforts when we consider that 10km tends to be the norm.

According to this article http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/w...-distance-in-a-premier-league-20142015-match/ published last week, our old boy Siggy was leading the way for distance run in a PL game up until 10 days ago. Still wonder how he might have fit in with Poch' system but guess it just weren't to be.

1. George Boyd – BURNLEY v Stoke – 8.29 miles
2. Gylfi Sigurdsson – SWANSEA v Manchester United – 8.19 miles
3. Gylfi Sigurdsson – SWANSEA v Burnley – 8.1 miles
4. George Boyd – BURNLEY v Hull City – 8.07 miles
5. Morgan Schneiderlin – SOUTHAMPTON v Saudi Sportswashing Machine – 8.04 miles
6. Christian Eriksen – TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Newcastled United – 8.01 miles
7. Mathieu Flamini – ARSENAL v Leicester City – 7.98 miles
8. Dean Hammond – LEICESTER CITY v Arsenal – 7.98 miles
9. George Boyd – BURNLEY v West Ham – 7.95 miles
10. James Milner – Emirates Marketing Project v Aston Villa 7.94 miles

Impressive for sure. Slightly unrealistic to think that we'll be able to consistently run that much further than other teams, but good to have that capability.

Yup it's good to have some youngsters in the engine-room to do the legwork, hopefully they can keep up with Matic and Fabregas tomorrow. I also see that another of our Academy graduates features in the league' Top 5 for distance run this season.

@WindyCOYS: Some distance covered stats from the Premier League site - @hkane28 second only to George Boyd in this week's games.
B33bY0uIMAAMNnI.png

Back