• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****Tottenham Hotspur v Wolverhampton Wanderers****OMT

I just saw it. The bit that got me was Davies not thinking he could pass to Sessegnon and then offer for a return. If he doesn’t think he can pass to Sess there who’d found a few yards of space then neither of them should be on the pitch.
Then Sess has the same problem though it was like 4 v 2 over there and no other Spurs player in that half of the pitch. I think the only option Davies had was to launch it out of play about half way up our half, I’m stunned he didn’t do that, absolutely brainless.

The defensive side would be no problem. Other than that I see no attributes for him to be a WB. He’s more suited to playing the inverted role and drifting inside and combining with short link ups/through balls.

Wingback essentially allows the same thing, but playing from deep. Arriving late in the box, cutting into the middle. With 3 at the back and a holding midfielder wingbacks have license to get forward. Certainly a better attacking option than Royal or Doherty.

Doherty
It’s where he played for 5 seasons before we brought him
And if you have Romero playing RCB he will bomb on too
Doherty thrived cutting in and getting on the end of balls across the box from his lwb… he can do that here to support attack

Doherty is another competent squad player. He was sound at Wolves, but he's not the dynamic wing player we need. Kulu may lack a bit of pace, but at least he can attack with some guile. That is all we need. Doherty and Royal make us a little blunt down the wings. And that is one of the biggest problems we've faced IMO. Whereas chelsea play 352 right, they have wingbacks who are a goal threat? Royal, Doherty and Reggie are not. I like Doherty, but he's a midtable player really. He lacks some technical skill, which Kulu seems to have.

Wingback essentially allows the same thing, but playing from deep. Arriving late in the box, cutting into the middle. With 3 at the back and a holding midfielder wingbacks have license to get forward. Certainly a better attacking option than Royal or Doherty.

Maybe. But he simply would never overlap. I think that’s a key ingredient of a WB. He would work perfectly with a Lamptey in a 343 or potentially as the attacking player of a 3 man midfield with a wing back or RB coming past him.

Doherty is another competent squad player. He was sound at Wolves, but he's not the dynamic wing player we need. Kulu may lack a bit of pace, but at least he can attack with some guile. That is all we need. Doherty and Royal make us a little blunt down the wings. And that is one of the biggest problems we've faced IMO. Whereas chelsea play 352 right, but have wingbacks who are a goal threat? Royal, Doherty and Reggie are not. I like Doherty, but he's a midtable player really. He lacks some technical skill, which Kulu seems to have.
Doherty scored enough goals for a RWB but don’t fight this is about getting us through this season
Next season is when we need the proper impact of a higher quality rwb

Then Sess has the same problem though it was like 4 v 2 over there and no other Spurs player in that half of the pitch. I think the only option Davies had was to launch it out of play about half way up our half, I’m stunned he didn’t do that, absolutely brainless.

Quite worryingly I think he may have been trying something similar to that and just miss-kicked it on a carpet of a pitch.

Maybe. But he simply would never overlap. I think that’s a key ingredient of a WB. He would work perfectly with a Lamptey in a 343 or potentially as the attacking player of a 3 man midfield with a wing back or RB coming past him.

Moura or Kane can make runs the right channel, and either open up space for Kulu to come inside or release Moura down the wing to get around the back. There is no reason you can't set up for it to work, bearing in mind Kulu has played well coming from the right-wing. He just starts further back and needs to defend well.

Just watching that Lloris / Davies masterpiece for the 2nd goal, they obviously take 99% of the blame, however Son offered no outball at all, just strolling across the pitch, surely he could see an issue developing?

I said it in the Southampton game, do we play in training shoes?
The amount of slips we have is incredible, Bentancur had one today where he totally missed the ball and fell on his arse. But it happened a few times today and we always look like we are slipping, i think hugo felt his feet go with that pass.

Moura or Kane can make runs the right channel, and either open up space for Kulu to come inside or release Moura down the wing to get around the back. There is no reason you can't set up for it to work, bearing in mind Kulu has played well coming from the right-wing. He just starts further back and needs to defend well.

I hear you but just feels a bit square peggy to match a system.

Surely pick the best system from the players available.

For me:

On the front foot:

4 defenders
1 holder/enforcer
1 ball mover
1 AM
3 forwards.

On the back foot Conte can flip to 532 if he wanted.

I keep reading we can’t beat the press. One of the reasons is because we are one light in midfield imo.

I hear you but just feels a bit square peggy to match a system.

Surely pick the best system from the players available.

For me:

On the front foot:

4 defenders
1 holder/enforcer
1 ball mover
1 AM
3 forwards.

On the back foot Conte can flip to 532 if he wanted.

I keep reading we can’t beat the press. One of the reasons is because we are one light in midfield imo.

If playing 3 CBs which Conte has, the wingbacks become crucial. They get the space. They can arrive into the box unmarked. And they can change games. At the moment we’re pretty blunt down both wings.

If playing 3 CBs which Conte has, the wingbacks become crucial. They get the space. They can arrive into the box unmarked. And they can change games. At the moment we’re pretty blunt down both wings.
Useless I’d say. Hence I would rather go back 4 and add a body in midfield. Take their attacking responsibility away.

Clearly there's been a lot of tactical discussion in this thread which (a) will be right over my head and (b) can't be ar5ed reading back over.

2 observations:
1) I spent he whole of half-time, whilst drinking my bovril, watching replays of the two goals from every camera angle they had at the lane, on the screens in the Goal-Line concourse (don't remember them ever doing that before? Especially given they were opposition goals?) Suffice to say, it doesn't matter which way you look at them, Hugo fvcked up for both!
2) 3 x 400+ mile round trips in one week. Normally, you have the craic, or some saving grace to get you through but I am just so fvcking angry!

2) 3 x 400+ mile round trips in one week. Normally, you have the craic, or some saving grace to get you through but I am just so fvcking angry!

I thought the atmosphere was pretty poor yesterday. There were obvious reasons for that, of course - but some grounds (I hate to say it, but like Anfield) would have really got behind a struggling team.

And I’ll never understand why someone would pay £50+ for a ticket and then leave with 10 minutes - plus injury time - to go. The ground was only a third full at best for the last 10 minutes yesterday. People seem to have forgotten the Leicester game pretty quickly.

Conte is inadvertently making the same mistake Mourinho did by letting the opposition have possession/control too high up the pitch - Bentancur is a step in the right direction and maybe alongside Skipp, whose absence seems to have coincided with our downturn in form, thry could mske a midfield 2 work but atm it seems we need numbers in there to compensate for quality.

Would Kulusevski work in a deeper no.10 position?
Bentancur Skipp
Kulusevski
Kane Son​

Then one question should be 'why have Jose Mourinho, Nuno and now Antonio Conte not gone for midfield control and possession?' Why have three solid managers gone for counter attack and targeting transitions? Under Pochettino, we had Dembele, Vertonghen and Eriksen. Those three were special players who had a skill set not easily found.

Conte will have to go back to the drawing board. His tactics are well documented and studied. The question was raised as to how Southampton and Wolves tactically looked better than us? He also needs to reconsider the 'team is bad' mantra.

Another really frustrating game. Thought the second half wad ok under the circumstances. Going two behind against a team as solid as Wolverhampton defensively is always a tough ask. We needed one to go in to build momentum and it didn't happen.

Two sloppy, scrappy goals conceded. Mistakes creeping back in, inability to change the state of the game when things go against us. Could have gone very differently if we didn't concede first, but we need to respond better.

As before a lot of work left to be done. Some positive signs, but difficult to focus on with two frustrating losses in a row.

Team needs a kick starting performance, thought we already had that, but we looked drained of confidence in that first half.

Then one question should be 'why have Jose Mourinho, Nuno and now Antonio Conte not gone for midfield control and possession?' Why have three solid managers gone for counter attack and targeting transitions? Under Pochettino, we had Dembele, Vertonghen and Eriksen. Those three were special players who had a skill set not easily found.

Conte will have to go back to the drawing board. His tactics are well documented and studied. The question was raised as to how Southampton and Wolves tactically looked better than us? He also needs to reconsider the 'team is bad' mantra.

Sorry i thought it was obvious from the wording on my post that Conte is making a mistake and it's not intentional to surrender the midfield.

Mourinho set us up deep on purpose and Nuno was a dead man walking from day one so not much to take from his time here.

From what i saw a couple of times he looked like he could play on the turn, which in that no.10 position with Son and Kane in front of him could work well, as a start anyway
And with his jedi mind control, he can stop Sanchez and Winks passing to the opposition.

Back