• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur v Scumball Wanderers***

But you can't really expect the players that were selected yesterday to play defensively. If you want to concede possession, you don't play Bale. If you want to primarily defend you don't play Bale or Moura. You play those players better suited to defend - i.e. is Sissoko, Bergwyn and even Winks.

Mouras best attributes are all defensive...

Bale i agree but then he isn't known for his pressing either so whichever set up you take he has little off the ball responsibility

I think we tend to over-analyse things. Simply put we didn't turn up.
Doherty still struggling with form, Hojbjerg was poor as was Ndombele, Kane carrying a knock, Bale a no-show and Son plain knackered. That leaves 5 positions in the team that did ok on the day but is not going to win you a match against anyone let alone in a derby. Jose's tactics may have been a factor also but with only half a team nothing was going to work.

Agree

But you can't really expect the players that were selected yesterday to play defensively. If you want to concede possession, you don't play Bale. If you want to primarily defend you don't play Bale or Moura. You play those players better suited to defend - i.e. is Sissoko, Bergwyn and even Winks.
That’s kinda what I trying to say
That team yesterday was not a defensive team. If that was Jose’s plan then he is a fool
That team yesterday before the game looked like exactly the same team we set up vs palace, Burnley and Fulham
A difference being we were playing a slightly better side, but one that we’re pressing form the off. Our players didn’t react to that at all

There are obviously many things we can moan about from yesterday but I have got another 2 that I haven't seen mentioned...

In the first half we had three free kicks in their half... These were opportunities to get some of our players forward, perhaps even touch the ball in their box and put their not great defence under a bit of pressure... Instead we played it sideways and then backwards and then sideways etc.... I just can't understand that game meteorology...

Two minutes before lamela got sent off he jumped two footed into a challenge and could easily have been booked for that... He was clearly not in full control and Harry was standing next to him... What did Harry do? Nothing that I saw.... Harry should have been screaming at him to calm down and not get sent off. If not Harry, then someone else but no, nothing.... It's just pathetic and as for the captain he was 50 yards away because we seem to think it's a good idea to have a goalkeeper as captain... Pathetic.

Said it during the game, two free kicks from the halfway line went back to our keeper.
WTAF.

That team yesterday was not a defensive team. If that was Jose’s plan then he is a fool
That team yesterday before the game looked like exactly the same team we set up vs palace, Burnley and Fulham
A difference being we were playing a slightly better side, but one that we’re pressing form the off. Our players didn’t react to that at all
I’m not sure our team knew what they were supposed to be doing.

the difference in the opening exchanges wasn't how the opposition reacted to us on the ball it was how we reacted to them, that's what shows the difference in approach to me - there's no such thing as a defensive team/non defensive team on paper it's just a line up and a formation - you can predict how you think the team will play based off of that information but that all goes out the window once the game is underway...

the difference in the opening exchanges wasn't how the opposition reacted to us on the ball it was how we reacted to them, that's what shows the difference in approach to me - there's no such thing as a defensive team/non defensive team on paper it's just a line up and a formation.
We certainly weren’t interested in closing them down in their own half of the pitch.

the difference in the opening exchanges wasn't how the opposition reacted to us on the ball it was how we reacted to them, that's what shows the difference in approach to me - there's no such thing as a defensive team/non defensive team on paper it's just a line up and a formation - you can predict how you think the team will play baed off of that information but that all goes out the window once the game is underway...
It’s exactly that
But it is possible to see a team be passive despite their instructions. Similarly you can see a team go all out attack which may or may not be part of their instructions

INCIDENT: Alexandre Lacazette hits an air shot in the Tottenham pelanty area. Davinson Sanchez slides in on the forward, at which point he goes down. Michael Oliver awards a pelanty, which Lacazette scores.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Not a pelanty - but VAR cannot overturn Oliver's decision.

DERMOT SAYS: "I think Lacazette did a very interesting interview after the match where he said he felt he was very lucky to get it. I'd agree with him.

"The problem is Michael Oliver is behind the play. He sees Sanchez come across with his boot high, I don't think he sees the air shot. I think he thinks it's Sanchez connecting with Laczaette, takes him down, that's why he gives a pelanty.
"He then relays to the VAR what he's seen, how he's seen it, and I think that's backed Paul Tierney into a corner. I don't think he can ask him to go to the monitor because you can't re-referee the football match.
"I think it's just a bit of a glitch in the process, because the referee's made an on-field decision, and the VAR can't re-referee the situation, they've got to stick with the on-field decision. But it's very, very lucky
"Lacazette's gone to play the ball in the air, Sanchez has come across to block, he's a defender, that's what he's trying to do, and Lacazette's momentum has taken him into Sanchez."
What crap. If Oliver says that he sees Sanchez connecting with Lacazette then it is a clear and obvious error as that is not what happened.
He can then send him to have another look. The point of VAR is to re-referee such situations, if it's not then what's the point of it?

What crap. If Oliver says that he sees Sanchez connecting with Lacazette then it is a clear and obvious error as that is not what happened.
He can then send him to have another look. The point of VAR is to re-referee such situations, if it's not then what's the point of it?
It’s borderline bent that decision.... the more I see it the more I fail to understand how it didn’t go to VAR?

Tierney needs to explain the exact dialogue between him and Oliver Imthink (thought that will never happen).

It’s exactly that
But it is possible to see a team be passive despite their instructions. Similarly you can see a team go all out attack which may or may not be part of their instructions

well we don't know what the instructions were so it comes back to there being no evidence either way from this game and we all just fall back on our bias - If we had a good run of performances in these types of games Id be more inclined to say the players didn't turn up, but we don't, 8 defeats on the bounce v top 10 teams, a manager over-seeing that sort of record doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt

Yep I agree
Hence why I think he asked the team to play their normal attacking game... and the players just didn’t. They played like frightens rabbits

why would they be frightened when they are off the back of 5 good wins and playing a 10th place team - does not make sense

I don’t understand why the refs don’t use the monitor, I’d be using it all the time, incident happens, blow my whistle, get to the monitor have a good look, have another look, when I’m 100% sure make the call.

Measure twice, cut once.

Back