• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley*** OMT

I have not read through the blood-letting…my tuppence…

We had control of that game for much of the evening. We lacked bravery in possession too many times. Sess and Royal were simply not willing to push their moments in possession - particularly Sess, who honestly looked petrified to try and progress the situation when getting the ball in space. Further, PEH was not especially fluid on the ball, indeed, our greatest threat with regards to finding a pass was coming from Romero first-half. However, at HT I was fine with how things were, and assumed we’d find a couple of goals and see it through comfortably.

Hitting the bar early in the second was unlucky, but really, what repeatedly stood out (and has done for much of Conte’s tenure) is that our WBs are not up to exploiting their roles in a Conte team. Bentancur’s departure saw us lose a little more crispness and speed on ball progression (Winks did nothing wrong, he’s just not as smooth and fast as Bentancur) but I still felt OK about things. When Kulusevski bent that shot just wide of the left upright, I felt it was a switch point.

The concession was scruffy, I was surprised to see Romero done by Mee for sure, but you still felt we’d get back into it. Yet Conte seemed unable to fashion a response, and that is somewhat down to personnel we need and don’t have. I do wonder about ‘defcon 5’ scenarios though, you know, push Romero forward for the last 5 in these sorts of games and use his physical presence to create moments, but maybe this is why I am not a manager. Truth be told, we should not be in situations where such ‘tactics’ are needed.

I do think the only possible way we sneak 4th is via Conte (said this all along) but he does not seem especially calm right now, so alas, it looks like a moment slipping away. The decisions remain the same, as do the scenarios, so nothing he is saying is especially new. I’m glad he find 4 defeats from 5 unacceptable, and I am glad he wants questions asked. I think her is a great manager, but he should also ask questions of himself in this moment. Why are so many afraid to take chances in possession would be my key one. Fear of losing possession? That isn’t enough reason is it? Fear of the manager? Possibly. Not good enough? Certainly in some moments yes.

Truth be told, I felt in my bones this would most likely happen. Let’s hope Leeds don’t enjoy a visit from Dr Tottenham…

Agreed with almost everything. The wingback position is so important when we are playing with three CBs and two defensive orientated CMs. The just aren't delivering anything like enough. Sess seems afraid of his own shadow and almost always took the easy option of passing back to Davies when in acres of space and many opportunities to run at a defender when one on one. Royal has yet to find decent delivery. Neither get to the byline and pull balls back - something we have been missing for ages. That is why Conte was so keep on Diaz and Traore. Both have speed and trickery to open up massed defences

Conte's utterances at the moment are simply unintelligible. He seems bereft of a plan B. We miss a big centre forward in these sorts of games. Mourinho was calling out for one from the moment he arrived. In his first window, we bought Bergwyn! We certainly missed a trick with Weghorst. At £14m he could prove to be the bargain of the season if he keeps Burnley up. I think he would have probably helped us get to the top 4 with added goals and the chance to rotate Kane. Oh well - what might have been.

Agreed with almost everything. The wingback position is so important when we are playing with three CBs and two defensive orientated CMs. The just aren't delivering anything like enough. Sess seems afraid of his own shadow and almost always took the easy option of passing back to Davies when in acres of space and many opportunities to run at a defender when one on one. Royal has yet to find decent delivery. Neither get to the byline and pull balls back - something we have been missing for ages. That is why Conte was so keep on Diaz and Traore. Both have speed and trickery to open up massed defences

Conte's utterances at the moment are simply unintelligible. He seems bereft of a plan B. We miss a big centre forward in these sorts of games. Mourinho was calling out for one from the moment he arrived. In his first window, we bought Bergwyn! We certainly missed a trick with Weghorst. At £14m he could prove to be the bargain of the season if he keeps Burnley up. I think he would have probably helped us get to the top 4 with added goals and the chance to rotate Kane. Oh well - what might have been.
Weghorst last year for £25m would have been great business too
The guys a quality league player and the ball sticks to him which is a big problem for us
@AdamB what are your thoughts on him now as you and I had a good debate on him during the euros

We had control of that game for much of the evening. We lacked bravery in possession too many times. Sess and Royal were simply not willing to push their moments in possession - particularly Sess, who honestly looked petrified to try and progress the situation when getting the ball in space.

...our WBs are not up to exploiting their roles in a Conte team.

Good post, and fully agree with this. Our whole system relies on excellent wingbacks and we don't have them.
Cheatski's top scorers were Ben Chilwell and Reece James. A succession of expensive strikers have failed, but their wingbacks bail them out. Then they both got injured, but Alonso and Azpilicueta continue to deliver and bail them out.

Likewise Liverpool, just incredible "wing backs" from a back 4 on paper.

Until we get wingbacks we should play a different system. We do have good players, but just not good wingbacks.

Back