• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa OMT***

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
A0666.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur host Aston Villa at White Hart Lane on Sunday 7th October 2012 (KO 15:00) in the 7th round of 2012-13 Premier League matches.

Spurs, who are unbeaten in the League since the opening day defeat at Saudi Sportswashing Machine are fresh from an historic 3-2 win at Manchester United which pushed them up to 5th in the table on 11 points, while Villa are in 15th place on 5 points after their 1-1 home draw with West Bromwich Albion.

The match at will be the 163rd time the two teams have met.

Tottenham Hotspur first met Aston Villa on 11th April 1896 when Spurs were still in the Southern League. The friendly match played at Tottenham Marshes ended with a 3-1 win for Aston Villa.

Three more friendlies were played until the clubs met in anger for the first time in the old Third Round of the FA Cup (today's 5th Round) in March 1903 with Villa winning 3-2.

The first Football League meeting came on 20th November 1909 in the First Division after Spurs had been promoted after their first season of League football. Villa once again won 3-2.

There have been two Wembley matches played between the two clubs. The first was in the 1971 Football League Cup Final which Spurs won 2-0 with two goals from Martin Chivers - Aston Villa were in the Third Division at the time.

The second game at Wembley came in the 1981 Charity Shield with FA Cup Winners Spurs drawing 2-2 with Football League Champions Aston Villa. Mark Falco scored both Spurs goals and Peter Withe did likewise for Villa.

There have been no Domestic Cup meetings between the two teams during the last 18 years.

The last time they met was in the 5th Round of the League Cup in January 1994 with Villa winning 2-1.

Both Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur were founder-members of the Premier League in 1992-93 and the two clubs, along with Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United are among the only seven ever-present clubs during the competition's 21 season history.

Spurs did the 'double' over Villa in 2010-11 winning both matches 2-1 with Rafael van der Vaart scoring all of Tottenham's four goals. Villa's two goals both came from Marc Albrighton at White Hart Lane in October and Villa Park in December, after Spurs had been reduced to ten men after Jermain Defoe's red card after 27 minutes.

Spurs signed former Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel during the summer of 2011 on a free transfer. Alan Hutton made a move in the opposite direction and Jermaine Jenas joined Villa on a season's loan.

The fixture at White Hart Lane last season took place on Monday 21st November and resulted in a 2-0 win for Tottenham. Two first half goals from Emmanuel Adebayor after 14 and 40 minutes were enough to see Spurs take all three points in a game marked by Harry Redknapp's return after undergoing minor heart surgery. The match at Villa Park in April 2012 finished 1-1 with Ciaran Clark putting Villa ahead with a 25-yard shot that deflected off William Gallas and Emmanuel Adebayor scoring a 62nd minute penalty to level the proceedings.

Sunday's game at the Lane will be the 163rd match played between the two clubs and Spurs have the edge with 64 wins to Villa's 59 with 39 matches having been drawn.

A0667.jpg

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa Matches 1896-2012

A0668.jpg

They Played for Spurs & Villa....

Darren Bent
Gundi Bergsson (Villa trialist)
Danny Blanchflower
Mark Burke (Spurs trialist)
Colin Calderwood
Jimmy Cantrell
Billy Cook
Peter Crouch
Ronnie Dix
Brad Friedel
David Ginola
George Graham (Villa player, Spurs manager)
Andy Gray
James Gray
Steve Hodge
Alan Hutton
Bob Iverson (Spurs junior)
Jermaine Jenas
Oyvind Leonhardsen
Ernie Phypers
Vic Potts
Wayne Routledge
Gordon Smith
Cyril Spiers
Tom Tebb
Jack Treasadern (Spurs manager, Villa scout)
Kyle Walker
Frank Wilson
Luke Young

A0688.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2012-13

Aston Villa Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2012-13

A0683.jpg

A0684.jpg

Statto inspires confidence.

I am basing my first 11 and final result on the opinions of GG posters:

Freidel - Too old, can't dive
Kyle Walker - Only has pace. No footballing skills.
Gallas - Too old, his mistake leads to every goal ever scored
Vertonghen
Lennon - Can't Shoot Won't Score. Bad game in Greece means he will never be able to play football properly again.
Sandro
Dembele - Goes past players but that's it. No Modric
Bale - Diver, too big for his boots
Dempsey - Excellent record at Fulham = not good enough for us. The New Jenas (what does he do?). Waste of money but better than Siggy, who is The New Dempsey (what does he do?)
Defoe - Striker, scores goals. Nothing else. Ship him out.

With all these excellent observations, I deduce a 3-0 win for Spurs. Followed by moans about Dempsey not creating 74 chances in the second half and Defore scoring a hat-trick but doing very little for the team…

Statto...Statto...Statto...\o/

proper OMT..:)..Greek flush...best win of the season to date, coming up. SPURS 3 Villa 1

-------------------------------Friedel---------------------------

Walker--------------Caulker-----------Gallas--------vertonghen

-------------------------Sandro------Dembele-------------------

------Lennon-------------Sigurddson-------------------Bale-----

---------------------------Adebayor-------------------------------

subs: Lloris, Dawson, Smith, Townsend, Huddlestone, Dempsey, Defoe

We need to change our match philosophy. Two defensive midfielders at home against a poor side is not the way to go.

To score first and fall back into defending too deep and surrendering the initiative is not only dull to watch but has cost us dearly. We got away with it at OT and against QPR, but our habit of conceding goals in the last fifteen minutes in 5 games already this season (Saudi Sportswashing Machine, WBA, Norwich, Reading, Pana) has cost us needless points and must stop. NOW.

Team v Villa

Lloris/Friedel - cant make up my mind

Walker
Gallas
Caulker
Verts

Sandro

Lennon
Dembele
Bale

Defoe
Ade

Scenario 1 - Score early and keep going forward. Push Dembele further forward. Comfortable 3-1 win
Scenario 2 - Play tip tap football, eventually score a scrappy goal, retreat and invite Villa on to us and concede a late equaliser. A familiar tale. 1-1

My head says AVB will stick with 2, my hope is for 1

Last edited:

This. Dempsey hasn't done enough to secure his spot yet, and I feel Sig at least gets involved more and if we can get him playing well, it will benefit us in the long run.

This. Dempsey hasn't done enough to secure his spot yet, and I feel Sig at least gets involved more and if we can get him playing well, it will benefit us in the long run.

Lesser of two 'evils', imv - both have struggled to impress this season but possibly Sigurdsson offers slightly more support in the middle

Personally I'd go with both Ade and Defoe

Statto inspires confidence.

I am basing my first 11 and final result on the opinions of GG posters:

Freidel - Too old, can't dive
Kyle Walker - Only has pace. No footballing skills.
Gallas - Too old, his mistake leads to every goal ever scored
Vertonghen
Lennon - Can't Shoot Won't Score. Bad game in Greece means he will never be able to play football properly again.
Sandro
Dembele - Goes past players but that's it. No Modric
Bale - Diver, too big for his boots
Dempsey - Excellent record at Fulham = not good enough for us. The New Jenas (what does he do?). Waste of money but better than Siggy, who is The New Dempsey (what does he do?)
Defoe - Striker, scores goals. Nothing else. Ship him out.

With all these excellent observations, I deduce a 3-0 win for Spurs. Followed by moans about Dempsey not creating 74 chances in the second half and Defore scoring a hat-trick but doing very little for the team…

:ross:

Agree with that, though we know that Defoe will play rather than Adebayor

Sigurdsson and/or Dempsey need to start contributing - we've effectively been playing with 10 men so far this season

Lesser of two 'evils', imv - both have struggled to impress this season but possibly Sigurdsson offers slightly more support in the middle

Personally I'd go with both Ade and Defoe

Good shout actually. Certainly for this Villa game I would love to see this.

This game has got disaster written all over it has it not? struggling villa team needing a win, spurs complacent and seemingly 'tired' after playing near full strength in another dissapointing AVB 1-1 draw.

I predict another 1-1 draw but hopefully AVB is learning fast about how to approach this kind of game. we could do with a bit of variety in our game. adebayor seems to be the only option we have to shake things up a bit.

The recent win at Old Trafford pushed Spurs into fifth place in the All-Time Premier League table, overtaking Aston Villa's total by one point.

Spurs have generally had the better of things in recent meetings against Villa and we are unbeaten in the last seven games (4 wins, 3 draws) and have only lost twice in the last 15 matches in a run stretching back to April 2005.

Villa's last win at White Hart Lane came in September 2008.

Back