• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

But what is a proper owner?

• The real sugar-daddies (Chelsea, City)
  • The rich bottom-line types (Liverpool, Villa, us?)
  • The rich rapacious types (the Glazers, Hicks & Gilett)
  • The incompetent (Leeds)
  • The fraudulent millionaires (Portsmouth)
  • Traditional (Hill-Woods etc)
  • Real fans (Whelan, Haywood)

You forgot another category:

• Just a c@*t (Mike Ashley)

I have no problem with the trust asking the questions, but I'm sure the club provide us with all the information they can anyway. It's not like they gain anything by not doing so.

draw its strength and identity from the area in which it is located.

People in Tottenham do not go to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club anymore!

do they? well maybe -1.3% LOL

It's an uncomfortable truth that the locals that do go to the Lane, do so almost exclusively to flip burgers. Surely with a larger stadium, increased TV revenue and massive naming rights, THFC will want to attract locals with lower prices? Perhaps a section of 3-4K where a Tottenham schoolboy/girl could get in with a massive discount?

It's an uncomfortable truth that the locals that do go to the Lane, do so almost exclusively to flip burgers. Surely with a larger stadium, increased TV revenue and massive naming rights, THFC will want to attract locals with lower prices? Perhaps a section of 3-4K where a Tottenham schoolboy/girl could get in with a massive discount?

We have that at the moment in the upper North, unfortunately its open to the older generation too and you somewhat get a situation where people take advantage where you get over 60's going with there 40 year old son. Not a bad thing, well it is because they are the more likely ones to get tickets as soon as they are released whereas kids rely on parents that think that week to see a game. Therefore the whole situation is skewed for Premier League games, its better for Europa as family tickets are for the whole stadium. Tottenham need a section that doesn't include mixing retired groups with the kids group.

How do you go about distinguishing them from the Trust?

Outward appearances would suggest little difference.

imagine the rest of the guys not on the forums and not part of the trust.

theres the majority out there who just get info about the club from what they read in the papers or over a pint.

imagine the rest of the guys not on the forums and not part of the trust.

theres the majority out there who just get info about the club from what they read in the papers or over a pint.
There's nothing to learn from what the Trust asks.

I don't know if the Trust know they're asking questions that the club can't/won't answer and are arrogant or if they don't know and they're just wasting everyone's time.

There's nothing to learn from what the Trust asks.

I don't know if the Trust know they're asking questions that the club can't/won't answer and are arrogant or if they don't know and they're just wasting everyone's time.

I don't know how to use the like button ( imo).

But what is a proper owner?

• The real sugar-daddies (Chelsea, City)
  • The rich bottom-line types (Liverpool, Villa, us?)
  • The rich rapacious types (the Glazers, Hicks & Gilett)
  • The incompetent (Leeds)
  • The fraudulent millionaires (Portsmouth)
  • Traditional (Hill-Woods etc)
  • Real fans (Whelan, Haywood)
Talking about owners, I got a cold call from a number beginning with +1 777..., the geezer seems to have an oriental accent was asking me if I would be willing to sell my Spurs shares. I asked him who he was and wouldn't tell me until they had a 51%, hostile takeover pledge. He said they had 43% pledged. I thought he was dodgy, probably hoping for personal details, so that they can create other scams.
I told him I wasn't selling.
Has anyone encountered anything like this?

I am not keen on ENIC but I don't want some unscrupulous money grabbing cowboy with no intention to invest in the Club...

Talking about owners, I got a cold call from a number beginning with +1 777..., the geezer seems to have an oriental accent was asking me if I would be willing to sell my Spurs shares. I asked him who he was and wouldn't tell me until they had a 51%, hostile takeover pledge. He said they had 43% pledged. I thought he was dodgy, probably hoping for personal details, so that they can create other scams.
I told him I wasn't selling.
Has anyone encountered anything like this?

I am not keen on ENIC but I don't want some unscrupulous money grabbing cowboy with no intention to invest in the Club...

Its a scam. Lewis and Levy own over 76% between them.

delusions of grandeur
same as a bunch of guys debating club issues on a football forum, feeling as if it would change a thing.

the one thing the thst has is the attention of thfc, which however small is infinitely more productive than all the efforts that go into here.

same as a bunch of guys debating club issues on a football forum, feeling as if it would change a thing.

the one thing the thst has is the attention of thfc, which however small is infinitely more productive than all the efforts that go into here.

I don't think anyone here thinks their musings are going to change anything

I don't think anyone here thinks their musings are going to change anything
i honestly hope not, but the amount of time and emotional energy spent in some of the discussions here leads me to think otherwise though.

i see the pointlessness of the thst but i wouldn't be first to point a finger at them; for i myself am guilty of not making a positive and proactive contribution to the club (except for club merchandise and subscribing to the football channel).

i honestly hope not, but the amount of time and emotional energy spent in some of the discussions here leads me to think otherwise though.

i see the pointlessness of the thst but i wouldn't be first to point a finger at them; for i myself am guilty of not making a positive and proactive contribution to the club (except for club merchandise and subscribing to the football channel).

what else can you do?

that's it, that's our role, to give them money

my take on the forum is that its group therapy for those of us who's mental fragility is related to the performance of a private company

This is an interesting development...

http://untold-arsenal.com/archives/42982

Exclusive: Tottenham’s stadium plan referred to European Commission over possible state aid issues
By Tony Attwood

As was suggested in correspondence following an earlier article, the deal between Tottenham Hotspur and Haringey Council over the funding of the new stadium for Tottenham could be seen as state aid, something that is not allowable under EU law.

Now Untold can reveal that the situation has been referred to the European Commission.

This means that Tottenham now sit alongside clubs such as Real Madrid (re their land exchange deal with the Madrid city council) and West Ham Utd (over the donation to it of the Olympic Stadium by the government agencies that paid for it) as clubs that might have broken the EU regulations that forbid any form of state aid to commercial enterprise. Emirates Marketing Project have escaped an enquiry as too long has now passed since they were granted the use of the stadium used for the Commonwealth Games.

The referral to the EC does not mean that the Commission will bring charges against Tottenham Hotspur plc, or against the Council, rather that is will consider the matter.

The argument is that Tottenham Hotspur football club’s planned new stadium project allows Tottenham Hotspur plc to benefit financially from Haringey council plans to develop an area opposite the new ground. This is because the close working together of Tottenham and the local council is complicated by the fact that some of the land to be developed for shops, housing etc is already owned by Tottenham, and thus the club will make a profit from the council development.

Initially the council argued that because of this benefit, it required Tottenham to pay towards the development costs. Tottenham at first agreed but then later argued it did not have the money to do so, and pointed out that they had already begun looking for another site to take over as a football ground. The council later agreed not to demand any money of Tottenham.

So the argument is that the profit that Tottenham will make is equivalent to state aid for a private project, in that no ordinary company would allow Tottenham to benefit and make a profit in this way, without it having to make a financial contribution to the redevelopment project. (The “what would a company do” test is central to this – to prove a council or government agency is giving state aid, it has to be shown that a commercial organisation would not act in the way the council has done).

Tottenham Hotspur has a substantial amount of land around its existing ground some of which it has owned for a while, some bought over time, and some bought via a compulsory purchase order with the agreement of the local council and the state. Much of this area is now proposed for redevelopment for residential property.

The local authority has an interest in this work as it has a duty to the area to aid redevelopment and economic growth. Thus the agreement under which as part of getting its planning permission Tottenham would pay Haringey council £16m from its profits towards the council’s cost of developing the housing.

The argument is that as Tottenham accepted this as an equitable deal when it started out, then anything subsequent to this which is more favourable should be investigated by the Commission as being a move from an equitable arrangement to state aid.

It has been reported that Tottenham Hotspur’s chairman, Daniel Levy, argued that the original requirements were making it difficult to raise the £400m necessary to build the new stadium, and called for the wider development to boost land values and investor confidence in the Tottenham project.

However, it is also reported that Tottenham Hotspur in its last financial year for which figures are available made £80m profit in 2014 – the largest ever by a football club in Britain. Further it is stated that Tottenham has no debt and £3m in the bank. Further this profit is part of an upward trend in that the club’s revenue from TV income was up £32m, while their wages (a major part of any professional club’s expenditure) was only £4m up.

The argument is thus that Tottenham did not suddenly become unable to pay the £16m but was simply putting pressure on the local authority in various ways to get rid of the £16m debt. By agreeing to this the council (it is argued) is in effect subsidising the football club – which would be illegal state aid.

Further, since as part of the project a council housing tower block and rows of shops with people living above will be knocked down to create a wide walkway for supporters of the football club to walk from White Hart Lane station straight to the new stadium, this is local council action to the benefit of Tottenham but no one else. There is nothing wrong with this, it is argued, if Tottenham is paying for it – since it is for its benefit. But if the council pays that is once again seen to be state aid.

The Commission now has a year during which time it can decide if it wants to examine the whole case or not. The particular problem for Tottenham is that if their case is valid and if the suggestion that they had to pay £16m to the council would undermine their ability to raise the £400m they need for the stadium is also valid, then the suggestion that the European Commission might now investigate the development for state aid, could have a bigger impact on Tottenham’s ability to raise the money, than if Tottenham had paid the £16m as it originally agreed to do.

interesting, could just be mischief making, it does read like a copy and paste job from the olympic stadium news, surely we are fine as long as we are not getting a preferential rate for the land we are selling, Madrid's issues stem from the land being sold way above the going rate

Back