• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

So QPR owner and West Ham fan Tony Fernandes is going to sponsor the stadium.. yeah OK Believe it when I see it.

So QPR owner and West Ham fan Tony Fernandes is going to sponsor the stadium.. yeah OK Believe it when I see it.

You just stated how fickle his 'support' is.

Like you i'll believe it when i see it, however it's well within the realms of possibility. He's a businessman, if QPR were still up then sure, they'd make a brilliant team to sponsor. They're not though.

You just stated how fickle his 'support' is.

Like you i'll believe it when i see it, however it's well within the realms of possibility. He's a businessman, if QPR were still up then sure, they'd make a brilliant team to sponsor. They're not though.
More likely to change Lotus Road or Olympic Stadium.

rich and smart, but not exactly on a winning streak in sports:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107632

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...s-to-making-mistakes-that-cost-QPR-relegation

funny how the same quotes were used in both articles though.

he is also now on the TV show the apprentice on Asian cable tv

http://www.axn-asia.com/programs/apprentice-asia/cast/tony-fernandes-host

taa-tonyfernandes-cast.jpg

23052013news-smallthumb.jpg

Last edited:

rich and smart, but not exactly on a winning streak in sports:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107632

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...s-to-making-mistakes-that-cost-QPR-relegation

funny how the same quotes were used in both articles though.

he is also now on the TV show the apprentice on Asian cable tv

http://www.axn-asia.com/programs/apprentice-asia/cast/tony-fernandes-host

taa-tonyfernandes-cast.jpg

23052013news-smallthumb.jpg

'You remind me of the final scene from the Wizard of Oz, you look very impressive, but in my opinion, behind the curtains there's nothing there. You're hired!'

Just posted on SkyscraperCity by 'RMB2007':-

Sent David Keirle an email in regards to the rumour about KSS not being involved with the stadium part, and his reply was this:

Quote:
No not a runout THFC have engaged Populous to look at other options. Such is life! Fat lady isn't singing yet but ....

So, the KSS design could still be used, but Tottenham are indeed looking at other options with Populous. I'm sure many on here will know what stadiums Populous have designed in the past, however, here's the link to their site:

http://populous.com/

List of stadia designed, a few 'familiar' ones:-

http://populous.com/projects/type/stadia/

Change of architect/exploring other options just to make time as we can't get the finance together?

Change of architect/exploring other options just to make time as we can't get the finance together?

It would have been great during the Olympic Stadium fiasco. I've always admired the design of the Stade De Lumieres, and a similarly innovative stadium would have gone a long way towards distinguishing us from our rivals down the road, whose stadium's design is very, very similar to our proposed one.

However, now it's probably wasting time. The most important thing the club has to do is to get the shovels into the ground and start the damn thing, copy-paste design be damned. If this leads to further delays on that end, it leads to a faintly ridiculous situation in terms of just how long it's taking.

I suppose the ludicrousness or otherwise of this potential late-stage changing of course depends on whether it's really feasible to look at other options, adopt one, work our current foundation digging around that, submit the redesign plans to the council, have it approved, and then start actual work without adding to the delays already surrounding this behemoth.

someone at the top level screwed up. thank goodness they've gone private otherwise some heads would be called!

It would have been great during the Olympic Stadium fiasco. I've always admired the design of the Stade De Lumieres, and a similarly innovative stadium would have gone a long way towards distinguishing us from our rivals down the road, whose stadium's design is very, very similar to our proposed one.

However, now it's probably wasting time. The most important thing the club has to do is to get the shovels into the ground and start the damn thing, copy-paste design be damned. If this leads to further delays on that end, it leads to a faintly ridiculous situation in terms of just how long it's taking.

I suppose the ludicrousness or otherwise of this potential late-stage changing of course depends on whether it's really feasible to look at other options, adopt one, work our current foundation digging around that, submit the redesign plans to the council, have it approved, and then start actual work without adding to the delays already surrounding this behemoth.

The most important thing is that they get it right, not that they get it done quickly. Would you be happy with a brick stadium for the next fifty or so years, or would you rather they wait a year and got it spot on?

List of stadia designed, a few 'familiar' ones:-

http://populous.com/projects/type/stadia/

Thanks mate, that is an interesting list - Wembley, Cashburden Grave, London Olympic Stadium etc.

Some very different ideas in there, some I love and some I hate

E.g. for the winter olympics in Russia they have the most open stadium ever designed with 2 open ends - imagine the Siberian wind whipping through there!

We only get one chance at this so if anyone at the club are not 100% happy with either the design or the viability of implementing it, then they're right to look at other options, regardless of delays.

Thanks mate, that is an interesting list - Wembley, Cashburden Grave, London Olympic Stadium etc.

Some very different ideas in there, some I love and some I hate

E.g. for the winter olympics in Russia they have the most open stadium ever designed with 2 open ends - imagine the Siberian wind whipping through there!

It's only for ceremonial use during the Olympics, afterwards it's a football stadium for the Russian national team, but Sochi have mild winters and warm summers as it borders on the Black Sea, so I don't think temperatures will be a big problem. It's as far south as Bulgaria.

We only get one chance at this so if anyone at the club are not 100% happy with either the design or the viability of implementing it, then they're right to look at other options, regardless of delays.

Exactamundo.

From this summer onwards things are only going to harder for Spurs as Utd have all the revenues you could dream of, Arsenal are now not far behind them with reports of a £70m war chest from a stadium that produces the profit of which could be increased to 80,000 capacity (only if Tfl and the local council budge that is, which isn't all that unlikely) and finally you have the billionaire circus that is Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project with their bottomless pockets. We NEED to get this stadium absolutely right, it doesn't have to be perfect as nothing is but what we need is a stadium that can maximise revenues and has style, something woven into our fabric. We currently have 42,000 on the season ticket waiting list, I really don't see why the club shouldn't scrap the current capacity/plans and go for something between 60-65,000 capacity with the ability increase capacity much higher in the future if need be.

Last edited:

The Populus involvement is certainly interesting and possibly the first real news in a while. It does raise a few questions to which I've added a few random thoughts below.

If there was a financing problem, would getting Populous to look at other designs be a cost saving one? I wouldn't have thought there were sufficient possible savings that would warrant new sets of plans, delays, etc.

Would new plans delay the project? Given the commitment to the project as part of the broader North Tottenham plan, I can't see major obstacles to new plans unless the footprint and heights were substantially different. The updated planning applications for the North and South developments said they would be putting in a new one dealing with the plaza so there will be a new one anyway. I don't see why switching the stadium design on a similar footprint should cause a problem. It looks like we're looking at a start next summer anyway.

Why look at other plans when there is approval of a plan that seems generally popular? Cost and financing, see above? Lack of confidence in KSS's ability to deliver? Seems a bit late for that, given past ties and record. Which seems to leave modest expansion, an attempt to fit more in the limited space available. Also given the prominence of the stadium in the whole plan for the area, they might be able to push the limits a bit more (transport, sightlines, historic buildings, etc).

What I would like to believe is as follows. They are looking to see if they can build future expansion into the current footprint. Then they can apply for the modified design for a 56k stadium with the same footprint, transport plan, etc, but have a path to expand to say 65k in the future.

What I would like to believe is as follows. They are looking to see if they can build future expansion into the current footprint. Then they can apply for the modified design for a 56k stadium with the same footprint, transport plan, etc, but have a path to expand to say 65k in the future.

According to the first reply from David Keirle to RMB2007 over a month ago the current stadium already has this although capacity the reached was not disclosed.

We have designed the Tottenham Stadium to allow for some further expansion but not to the same level as at Brighton.

The most important thing is that they get it right, not that they get it done quickly. Would you be happy with a brick stadium for the next fifty or so years, or would you rather they wait a year and got it spot on?

I would be happy to be able to compete with the rich kids. That is priority number one, and the sooner we can do that the happier I'll be. As long as the stadium is atmospheric, open to expansion (taking into account our waiting list and all) and capable of being converted to all-standing should the need or opportunity arise, it is good enough. KSS's current design ticks all three boxes: it is capable of being expanded (As per the email quoted a while ago), it is designed to be atmospheric and the single vertical 'Kop' stand bodes well for the prospect of future conversion to a standing stadium. So there's really no reason to delay the thing on the basis of design.

I'm not against revamping the design: like I said, our stadium seems somewhat 'copy-paste' when compared to innovative designs like the Stade De Lumieres or the Sochi arena. But I also don't think that the desire to change the design justifies delaying this already long-overdue project.

Evening Standard tonight

Boris Johnson has announced £25 million for improvements to the West Anglian rail line, amid claims that the cash is a “sweetener” to help persuade ministers to back his bid to take over the franchise.

The Mayor said the cash would help provide extra services at Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale and improve links to London, but there were suggestions that the money would show how committed he was to the West Anglian routes.

Mr Johnson has admitted that negotiations with the Department for Transport to take over suburban routes have not been going well.

Green London Assembly member Darren Johnson said: “I know Boris has been having a hard time negotiating so probably this is an attempt at a sweetener.”

Evening Standard tonight

Boris Johnson has announced £25 million for improvements to the West Anglian rail line, amid claims that the cash is a “sweetener” to help persuade ministers to back his bid to take over the franchise.

The Mayor said the cash would help provide extra services at Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale and improve links to London, but there were suggestions that the money would show how committed he was to the West Anglian routes.

Mr Johnson has admitted that negotiations with the Department for Transport to take over suburban routes have not been going well.

Green London Assembly member Darren Johnson said: “I know Boris has been having a hard time negotiating so probably this is an attempt at a sweetener.”

Think Levy would jizz in his pants if that happened :lol:

Someone on SC made a good point, whilst a few said they felt a re-design would be to make it cheaper the guy replied "Looking at the training ground i doubt we're going for a cheap alternative." I doubt Levy would be all gung-ho on an all expenses spared stadium like the New Yankee Stadium (Over a billion pounds for 52,000 seats!) but also I doubt he would want to cheapen the stadium either.

Back