• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Another e-mail has been sent to RMB2007 of architecture forum Skys****ercity.com by KSS Design chairman David Keirle. RMB2007 previous e-mails contained info on Populous being given work by the club weeks before anyone else talked about it.

The KSS stadium was always designed to be able to increase capacity, once the transport proposals had been proven. The bowl was design to accommodate this.

We are no longer working on the Stadium scheme and have not done so for a year.

I understand that Populous are designing a completely new stadium based around NFL and Football. I understand that their Stadium will be much higher and very different to our design, incorporating a large sliding pitch!

Work cannot start on any stadium until the CPO issues, which are still outstanding, are resolved and Spurs would have to apply for a new planning permission for a much higher Populous stadium and a stadium with a much higher capacity (65,000 in NFL mode, I understand). Not straight forward. I would think a start on site in the second half of 2014 is very challenging

We'll still have to wait and see what happens but this could get very interesting, if the info is true.

Last edited:

Er... NFL? Wtf, pitch markings will be ****py... and what size is an NFL pitch, this talk of a "large sliding pitch" seems pretty crazy... and does London even have an NFL team any more?

Er... NFL? Wtf, pitch markings will be ****py... and what size is an NFL pitch, this talk of a "large sliding pitch" seems pretty crazy... and does London even have an NFL team any more?

Like I said, interesting, if it is true. There has been a whole host of rumours going round that NFL bosses are looking into putting a franchise in London http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/26/nfl-owners-want-franchise-in-london/ but I always thought they would play their games at Wembley.

NFL though, that is where I smell a bit of BS personally, unless its some extraordinary world first in engineering.

Last edited:

It had no quotes, and was from Greg Stobart. Didn't even mention who the naming rights sponsor was going to be, just said there was Middle Eastern interest. a rehash of an old rumor, basically.

Still clinging to a redesign accommodating more people and the possibility of converting to partial standing in the future, myself. Making the single-tier Kop end a standing area (which, by extension, would mean lower ticket prices there) would encourage an awe-inspiring atmosphere from that section.

Would be like Borussia Dortmunds yellow brick wall

Hmmmmm!

Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 21 October 2013 - 19:45
NFL giants San Francisco 49ers paid a visit to the Training Centre on Monday to take part in a community event with the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

The 49ers jetted to the UK straight from their win against Tennessee Titans on Sunday night to begin preparations for their NFL Week 8 match-up against Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley Stadium this Sunday, October 27.
After touching down, their first stop was our Training Centre where the 49ers joined Foundation coaches to put students from the Nightingale Academy - a vibrant, inclusive learning centre in nearby Edmonton, North London - through their paces.
The youngsters were split into five stations, three concentrating on American Football skills, manned by coaches from NFL Europe and two on football, with coaches from our Foundation.
49ers players rubbed shoulders with members of our first team squad including our American goalkeeper Brad Friedel, Mousa Dembele, Lewis Holtby, Christian Eriksen and our keenest NFL fans, Jan Vertonghen and Harry Kane.
Everyone got involved in the skills stations - which saw the students taught how to throw an American Football by none other than 49ers' star starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick!
Grant Cornwell MBE, Chief Executive, Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, said: "It was fantastic to welcome the 49ers to the Training Centre and the event was a huge success, underlining the commitment of both teams to their work in the community.
"We've developed a unique partnership with Nightingale Academy for the provision of sport and education services that will support the Academy's vision to maximise the the life chances of students."
After the event our Chairman, Daniel Levy, joined 49ers owner, John York to exchange shirts - they were then photographed together with both squads and the youngsters from Nightingale Academy.

Hmmmmm!

Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 21 October 2013 - 19:45
NFL giants San Francisco 49ers paid a visit to the Training Centre on Monday to take part in a community event with the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

The 49ers jetted to the UK straight from their win against Tennessee Titans on Sunday night to begin preparations for their NFL Week 8 match-up against Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley Stadium this Sunday, October 27.
After touching down, their first stop was our Training Centre where the 49ers joined Foundation coaches to put students from the Nightingale Academy - a vibrant, inclusive learning centre in nearby Edmonton, North London - through their paces.
The youngsters were split into five stations, three concentrating on American Football skills, manned by coaches from NFL Europe and two on football, with coaches from our Foundation.
49ers players rubbed shoulders with members of our first team squad including our American goalkeeper Brad Friedel, Mousa Dembele, Lewis Holtby, Christian Eriksen and our keenest NFL fans, Jan Vertonghen and Harry Kane.
Everyone got involved in the skills stations - which saw the students taught how to throw an American Football by none other than 49ers' star starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick!
Grant Cornwell MBE, Chief Executive, Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, said: "It was fantastic to welcome the 49ers to the Training Centre and the event was a huge success, underlining the commitment of both teams to their work in the community.
"We've developed a unique partnership with Nightingale Academy for the provision of sport and education services that will support the Academy's vision to maximise the the life chances of students."
After the event our Chairman, Daniel Levy, joined 49ers owner, John York to exchange shirts - they were then photographed together with both squads and the youngsters from Nightingale Academy.

Makes you wonder what with our potential tie in with AEG when we were going for the olympic stadium i could see levy trying something like this.

First reaction is incredibly negative of course, (you hope it is an April fool, the ignominy of groundsharing with another sport, ugh,) but if Daniel can persuade a Yank to finance the stadium on the promise of establishing American Football - and do it without selling out the club - go for it Dan!

Makes you wonder what with our potential tie in with AEG when we were going for the olympic stadium i could see levy trying something like this.

Nothing at all, I hear the 49'ers want a Real Madrid esque partnership so they can take Sandro ;)

If you read that section does it actually say we are looking into creating a stadium that can house Football and NFL or that we want to include an NFL team in its design phase. I Think you guys are taking it the wrong way. And Engligh football team can use their stadium for NFL. The American Football pitch is much thinner and just a little longer. So as long as you have some space behind the goals its all good.

I think the idea is that to have a bigger stadium you need higher stands. This means cutting out the sun for the pitch. I know they have modern technology for this but sliding out the pitch gets the grass out into the sun. I just cannot see this happening in the UK. Especially in Tottenham. You basically need twice the space in land and we dont have that. Unless we knock down the school. Just sounds completely un workable to me.

The NFL are gearing up towards having a London based team. It could happen. But I would have thought they would keep it at Wembley, it makes it a london team then and not a team that plays in Tottenham. The London Monarchs played at White Hart Lane for a while and they place was empty.

I find it almost impossible to believe an NFL franchise could be based in UK.

1. The NFL is already split geographically to avoid unreasonably long trips, so London would be a total outlier.
2. The NFL season runs at exactly the same time as the EPL so games would need to be fitted around Spurs/London soccer/policing etc...that would be a logistical nightmare.
3. Do the Yanks still really think NFL will ever take off in Europe? They've been trying for 30 years and the game's popularity hardly budges. Yes, they can fill Wembley once a year and could perhaps even get a full house for 8 regular season home games + play-offs at WHL, but really, the game is never, ever going to expand beyond those few 10's of thousands who are die-hards. Do they think German or Spanish NFL fans will identify with the London franchise? Meh. The whole thing sounds deluded to me and I can't believe their market research tells them otherwise.

On the Populus rumours:

1. In general, I find Populus' stadium design style and "vision" to be really uninspiring and dull.
2. Where would a sliding pitch slide to? There isn't the room around WHL to facilitate it, unless it slid underground or something, or was an NFL artificial pitch that folded under stands. Meh, sounds far-fetched considering how tight the WHL plot is.
3. "Higher"? Not sure what that means, but I like it!
4. Most NFL stadiums are HIDEOUS on the outside, but on the inside there are some masterpieces. This is pure sex-wee internally, although the exterior is horrific:

If you read that section does it actually say we are looking into creating a stadium that can house Football and NFL or that we want to include an NFL team in its design phase. I Think you guys are taking it the wrong way. And Engligh football team can use their stadium for NFL. The American Football pitch is much thinner and just a little longer. So as long as you have some space behind the goals its all good.

I think the idea is that to have a bigger stadium you need higher stands. This means cutting out the sun for the pitch. I know they have modern technology for this but sliding out the pitch gets the grass out into the sun. I just cannot see this happening in the UK. Especially in Tottenham. You basically need twice the space in land and we dont have that. Unless we knock down the school. Just sounds completely un workable to me.

The NFL are gearing up towards having a London based team. It could happen. But I would have thought they would keep it at Wembley, it makes it a london team then and not a team that plays in Tottenham. The London Monarchs played at White Hart Lane for a while and they place was empty.

That's because it was the London Monarchs, playing against other no mark teams in the WLAF.

A London NFL team, however, playing against the Cowboys, the Packers, the Steelers, the Giants, the Bears, the 49ers, the Dolphins, the Patriots et al..............completely different kettle of fish.

As to playing at Wembley, my guess is that a new NFL franchise in London would err on the side of caution. Attracting 85K to Wembley for a couple of games a year is one thing. But ten games a season? In a losing season? They won't want rows of empty seats. 65K would therefore be a safer option. There are also difficulties with Wembley because of the restricted number of events it is allowed to hold per annum. WHL, as yet, has no such restrictions.

I find it almost impossible to believe an NFL franchise could be based in UK.

1. The NFL is already split geographically to avoid unreasonably long trips, so London would be a total outlier.
2. The NFL season runs at exactly the same time as the EPL so games would need to be fitted around Spurs/London soccer/policing etc...that would be a logistical nightmare.
3. Do the Yanks still really think NFL will ever take off in Europe? They've been trying for 30 years and the game's popularity hardly budges. Yes, they can fill Wembley once a year and could perhaps even get a full house for 8 regular season home games + play-offs at WHL, but really, the game is never, ever going to expand beyond those few 10's of thousands who are die-hards. Do they think German or Spanish NFL fans will identify with the London franchise? Meh. The whole thing sounds deluded to me and I can't believe their market research tells them otherwise.

On the Populus rumours:

1. In general, I find Populus' stadium design style and "vision" to be really uninspiring and dull.
2. Where would a sliding pitch slide to? There isn't the room around WHL to facilitate it, unless it slid underground or something, or was an NFL artificial pitch that folded under stands. Meh, sounds far-fetched considering how tight the WHL plot is.
3. "Higher"? Not sure what that means, but I like it!
4. Most NFL stadiums are HIDEOUS on the outside, but on the inside there are some masterpieces. This is pure sex-wee internally, although the exterior is horrific

The NFL divisions are split geographically. But it doesn't mean that a team on the west coast, for instance, won't play a team on the east coast during the regular season. The split isn't about avoiding big travel distances. It's more, I would guess, about ensuring that different regions of the country are represented in the playoffs.

And yes, the NFL bosses absolutely do want an NFL franchise in London. Whether they are right to do so is up for debate. But whether they are determined to do so isn't.

Wembley only has a certain number of date a year that it is allowed for events. It can't host an NFL season

i think it might happen, not a lot of difference in flying from New York to San Francisco and New York to London, they have sold out 2 games this year and have confirmed 3 for next year, wembley will host anything it can get and i'm sure it could find 8 free sunday evenings

Would this explain the sliding pitch(s)? One for us, one for them, to avoid wear. Each club responsible for their own pitch?

Can't see where the pitch would go to, although wasn't there a world cup where the pitch came in hexagon segments, then fitted together in side the stadium?

Last edited:

If Levy doesn't take this opportunity to build a secret lair under the pitch then he's not the evil genius I tagged him for.

Wembley only has a certain number of date a year that it is allowed for events. It can't host an NFL season

I don't think that is the case anymore. If there still is a limit then Wembley could just give up some slots from their concert schedule if the NFL brought in more money. An NFL season is only 8 games plus the playoffs.

More significantly, wasn't there an announcement from the club not long ago saying there wouldn't be a redesign? Doesn't quite fit with that email from KSS does it.

Back