• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

New Atlanta Falcons stadium

[video=youtube_share;2xvpoHDtNkk]http://youtu.be/2xvpoHDtNkk[/video]

Wow! Love the screens with the stadium POV on the inside of the roof that's innovative!

Reminds me of Camberwick Green that stadium, not a bad thing.

That video shows that an iconic stadium could help to catapult a team into the top echelon in itself. The status of the club would be enhanced.

Yes they talk a good show and goodness knows what that concept - it has not been built - costs, but at least it is innovative. Love the 'in the round' roof and video screens concept. Its something stage directors love - hosting a play in a round space rather than with the audience on one side as in most theaters. The link to the ancient greeks or rome is neat too, the concept of an amphitheater etc.

If you can create an icon like that, with facilities and other businesses in the wings, where people would love to visit, the club would benefit massively.

Why do what every one else is doing?

That video shows that an iconic stadium could help to catapult a team into the top echelon in itself. The status of the club would be enhanced.

Yes they talk a good show and goodness knows what that concept - it has not been built - costs, but at least it is innovative. Love the 'in the round' roof and video screens concept. Its something stage directors love - hosting a play in a round space rather than with the audience on one side as in most theaters. The link to the ancient greeks or rome is neat too, the concept of an amphitheater etc.

If you can create an icon like that, with facilities and other businesses in the wings, where people would love to visit, the club would benefit massively.

This is what I have been saying the past couple of weeks.

This stadium could secure our future, not just in the sense that it could stop us from doing a Portsmouth, but mainly in the sense that it could help increase and then secure our competitive side for a long time to come.

I agree with some that we need to take things a step at a time but if we get this stadium right we could be on the world stage, I really think that this club has the potential to challenge for the league on a yearly basis and be one of the biggest in Europe, if we get this stadium right, same or more matchday revenues as that lot down road but a lot less debt, then the sky's the limit for this club.

Very good post.

I could be completely wrong but I believe that that is precisely why Levy has gone back to the drawing board with Populous.

Lovely shot of White Hart Lane (v Southampton)...

A3661_zpsdcfb917f.jpg

Very good post.

I could be completely wrong but I believe that that is precisely why Levy has gone back to the drawing board with Populous.

I have to strongly disagree with both of you. Really we will be competing with arsenal, chelsea and possibly even west ham for the corporate client which is where the main money is i am told. Do not think those clients are going to care whether the is a waterfall behind one of the stands with diamonds coming down instead of water or not. Probably they want top class faceilities in their boxes, good grub and top class football on the pitch.

To be waiting this long to even get the design right is pathetic. Frankly i do not look much at the stadium, it is a building and when those tossers talk on the t.v. they call all stadiums iconic. The only reason old trafford is iconic is because the broadcasters are always having live games there, they do that because they are a top team, because they have large revenues coming from the stadium.

Apart from ashburton grove and the fans being to far from the pitch, that ground looks give or take the same as every other ground i have ever seen with slight differences in size and shape. It is a fudging football stadium, really it is quite simple for levy, he should have told the designers, keep the fans close to the pitch and do some fancy brick to entice the money bags, job done and we can get in it quicker then all this fudging about which i imagine is wasting far more money then whatever amke believe extra we will get from an "iconic design"

I have to strongly disagree with both of you. Really we will be competing with arsenal, chelsea and possibly even west ham for the corporate client which is where the main money is i am told. Do not think those clients are going to care whether the is a waterfall behind one of the stands with diamonds coming down instead of water or not. Probably they want top class faceilities in their boxes, good grub and top class football on the pitch.

To be waiting this long to even get the design right is pathetic. Frankly i do not look much at the stadium, it is a building and when those tossers talk on the t.v. they call all stadiums iconic. The only reason old trafford is iconic is because the broadcasters are always having live games there, they do that because they are a top team, because they have large revenues coming from the stadium.

Apart from ashburton grove and the fans being to far from the pitch, that ground looks give or take the same as every other ground i have ever seen with slight differences in size and shape. It is a fudging football stadium, really it is quite simple for levy, he should have told the designers, keep the fans close to the pitch and do some fancy brick to entice the money bags, job done and we can get in it quicker then all this fudging about which i imagine is wasting far more money then whatever amke believe extra we will get from an "iconic design"

What if the real reason for the delay is that Levy hasn't managed to attract the funds to build the stadium yet? What if he has therefore come to the conclusion the only way to attract the funds so he can get on and build the fecking thing is to go iconic.

Just a thought.

What if the real reason for the delay is that Levy hasn't managed to attract the funds to build the stadium yet? What if he has therefore come to the conclusion the only way to attract the funds so he can get on and build the fecking thing is to go iconic.

Just a thought.

ha ok, well if the funds were not in place which is very believable then fine. Im sure most of us could understand what with credit not being as easy to obtain as it once was.

But you think going iconic will make things cheaper to build? hahaha i have some experince of the building industry, the more complicated the design the more the cost goes up.

I can see the conversation now, levy goes to Lloyds and asks for a loan for more then he was for the previous design, likely it wont bring in much extra money and you think they will give him extra money?

If the capacity was not high enough to pay back any loan we need then it could have had a moderate redisgn to increase that capacity. To go back to the start as some are suggesting is madness and shows how bad someone somewhere inside the club fudged up in the first place.

The whole obession with this "iconic design" is a worrying trend that has been about a lot in recent years where things have to be knocked down and rebuilt just for the sake of it. Clearly we need a new stadium with increased capacity and good coporate faceilities. But this whole tinkling contest people want to get into with other clubs is pathetic.

Build a stadium with 60,000 seats and leave it so the is room to increase in future and the option for safe standing should it ever make a come back and good coporate stuff for the money boys and that is it. You can paint the faces of ex players on the walls outside and all the other crap. But levy needs to stop fudging around and sort out whoever was in charge of this debacle.

You're right.......we have waited a long time. And we do desperately need a new stadium with a capacity in the region of 60K.

But we only get one chance at this. So it is impossible to stress too much that it is imperative that we get it right. Far better to delay one year than to live in regret for fifty because the stadium we built wasn't big enough or good enough.

Going back to the drawing board need not necessarily set us back more than six months to a year. And since, as far as I know, we haven't as yet secured the naming rights deal (without which we wouldn't be able to build any stadium design), there would be no harm in such a delay. In fact, a more iconic and more ambitious design with a bigger capacity might well help us to secure a naming rights deal.

ha ok, well if the funds were not in place which is very believable then fine. Im sure most of us could understand what with credit not being as easy to obtain as it once was.

But you think going iconic will make things cheaper to build? hahaha i have some experince of the building industry, the more complicated the design the more the cost goes up.

I can see the conversation now, levy goes to Lloyds and asks for a loan for more then he was for the previous design, likely it wont bring in much extra money and you think they will give him extra money?

If the capacity was not high enough to pay back any loan we need then it could have had a moderate redisgn to increase that capacity. To go back to the start as some are suggesting is madness and shows how bad someone somewhere inside the club fudged up in the first place.

The whole obession with this "iconic design" is a worrying trend that has been about a lot in recent years where things have to be knocked down and rebuilt just for the sake of it. Clearly we need a new stadium with increased capacity and good coporate faceilities. But this whole tinkling contest people want to get into with other clubs is pathetic.

Build a stadium with 60,000 seats and leave it so the is room to increase in future and the option for safe standing should it ever make a come back and good coporate stuff for the money boys and that is it. You can paint the faces of ex players on the walls outside and all the other crap. But levy needs to stop fudging around and sort out whoever was in charge of this debacle.

An iconic design doesn't necessarily mean building a far more expensive stadium. Really good design can actually be very simple.

The KSS design is very decent but, other than at the single tier end, it is a mere clone of many other modern stadia. There is nothing that really differentiates it from the rest. Oval shaped; a uniform lower tier; a small, middle tier full of corporate seats; a row of corporate boxes; all topped off with a wavy upper tier.

Populous could easily design something that was different without it having to cost much, or even any, more.

Sorry to labour the point but it would seem the existing stadium design has totally failed to attract naming-rights funding - we've been trying long enough ffs - so you have to assume the ONLY alternative left open to us now is to go iconic.

In which case - as has been said already - there's clearly no point in tinkering around with a few wavy lines on the roof or whatever. The stadium redesign will need to be so totally gobsmacking as to take the whole concept into the stratosphere thereby attracting a global investor eager enough to cough up the necessary for the right to attach their name to it.

Of course someone would still need to do all the maths, but on the assumption that nothing else has worked thus far, what's to lose?

Sorry to labour the point but it would seem the existing stadium design has totally failed to attract naming-rights funding - we've been trying long enough ffs - so you have to assume the ONLY alternative left open to us now is to go iconic.

In which case - as has been said already - there's clearly no point in tinkering around with a few wavy lines on the roof or whatever. The stadium redesign will need to be so totally gobsmacking as to take the whole concept into the stratosphere thereby attracting a global investor eager enough to cough up the necessary for the right to attach their name to it.

Of course someone would still need to do all the maths, but on the assumption that nothing else has worked thus far, what's to lose?

Fair enough i understand your position, your saying that insert big name sponsor (barclays or similar) do not want to loan us the money because the stadium was not pretty enough, but if we come back with this "iconic design" big name sponsor will suddenly want to pay lots to sponsor us.

I am saying i do not think the big name sponsor care to much within reason what the stadium looks like as long as it will generate the revenue to either pay off any loans and as long as the team that play in it are playing well and possibly in the champs league thus getting the big name sponsor more coverage.

The problem is when we eventually settle on a design and move forward with it we will likely have a sponsor lined up so people with your position will think you were right. Where as im saying i do not believe that a new "iconic design" would generate more in way or a ground sponsor. So im suggesting the main reason for the redsign is because the was not enough coporate.

It also stands to reason that levy and co would have been in close contact with the previous designers and should have given them a clearer brief as to what they wanted. I would love to know why now suddenly it is not acceptable, someone has massively ****ed up, again.

The Allianz Arena is an iconic stadium, while the Emirates is just meh. The design can matter, but it will be hard for us as we're putting up buildings to the north and south. The stadium would look much better if it was standing on its own.

Fair enough i understand your position, your saying that insert big name sponsor (barclays or similar) do not want to loan us the money because the stadium was not pretty enough, but if we come back with this "iconic design" big name sponsor will suddenly want to pay lots to sponsor us.

I am saying i do not think the big name sponsor care to much within reason what the stadium looks like as long as it will generate the revenue to either pay off any loans and as long as the team that play in it are playing well and possibly in the champs league thus getting the big name sponsor more coverage.

The problem is when we eventually settle on a design and move forward with it we will likely have a sponsor lined up so people with your position will think you were right. Where as im saying i do not believe that a new "iconic design" would generate more in way or a ground sponsor. So im suggesting the main reason for the redsign is because the was not enough coporate.

It also stands to reason that levy and co would have been in close contact with the previous designers and should have given them a clearer brief as to what they wanted. I would love to know why now suddenly it is not acceptable, someone has massively ****ed up, again.

Got your point now but as others have mentioned the existing stadium design goes back years, since when any existing inadequacies in the concept will no doubt look even more stark and irrelevant by comparison to some of the spectaculars that have come along since.

The Allianz Arena is an iconic stadium, while the Emirates is just meh. The design can matter, but it will be hard for us as we're putting up buildings to the north and south. The stadium would look much better if it was standing on its own.

Not sure that I agree with that.

I far prefer stadia that are tucked tightly into the urban surrounding - the Bernabeu, for instance. I'm not a fan of out of town stadia or even urban stadia that sit in middle of acres of concrete.

Last edited:

If you're familiar, as you say, with construction, you'll know that it is very common for major projects to go through many rethinks and iterations before the final design is settled upon. There are all sorts of reasons for that. It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone has fudged up - massively or otherwise.

Back