• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 5 Great Games

Golden oldies

8-1 Gornik (the night Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur was born)
2-1 Benfica (despite losing 3-4 on aggregate)
9-2 Forest
7-2 Liverpool (after losing 2-5 at Anfield 3 days earlier)
3-2 A'nal away (Double season)

Heady days!

The only post where I was at every game, you're an old fart. Don't forget we played Fulham away in between the 2 Liverpool matches.

The Benfica game was were I first thought the ref was cheating.
Same here. Benfica showed themselves to be masters of the dark arts. By comparison we were painfully naive.

It was the first game I can recall witnessing the entire oppositon frantically surround the ref in order to get him to check with the linesman after he'd awarded what seemed a perfectly legitimate Greaves goal. That they succeeded in getting him to change his decision was practically unheard of at the time.

Nevertheless, a hugely memorable game.

Same here. Benfica showed themselves to be masters of the dark arts. By comparison we were painfully naive.

It was the first game I can recall witnessing the entire oppositon frantically surround the ref in order to get him to check with the linesman after he'd awarded what seemed a perfectly legitimate Greaves goal. That they succeeded in getting him to change his decision was practically unheard of at the time.

Nevertheless, a hugely memorable game.

We had 3 goals ruled out over the 2 games as well as hitting the bar, the general opinion in the press and radio was that all were fair goals, particularly Greaves goal at the Lane as he went pass 3 people to score. We would have won the final and been the first British club to win the European Cup.

We had 3 goals ruled out over the 2 games as well as hitting the bar, the general opinion in the press and radio was that all were fair goals, particularly Greaves goal at the Lane as he went pass 3 people to score. We would have won the final and been the first British club to win the European Cup.

Didn't know that. Well it seems our luck has always been just a little off

Didn't know that. Well it seems our luck has always been just a little off
Well we did win the FA Cup that season, so not all bad.

In fact, to me this whole Spur-sy thing is something of a contrivance when you look at it from a historical perspective, because in addition to our two League trophies we have won no less than 15 major cup finals out of a total of 21 contested:

1901 FA Cup final WON
1921 FA Cup Final WON
1961 FA Cup Final WON
1962 FA Cup Final WON
1963 ECWC Final WON
1967 FA Cup Final WON
1971 League Cup Final WON
1972 UEFA Cup Final WON
1973 League Cup Final WON
1974 UEFA Cup Final lost
1981 FA Cup Final WON
1982 FA Cup Final WON
1982 League Cup Final lost
1984 UEFA Cup Final WON
1987 FA Cup Final lost
1991 FA Cup Final WON
1999 League Cup Final WON
2008 League Cup Final WON
2009 League Cup Final lost
2015 League Cup Final lost
2019 Champions League Final lost

:p

My My This is a tough one.
Tottenham 5 Arsenal 1 LC Cup Semi-final
Ajax 2 Tottenham 3 (Will anything ever top that finale)
Tottenham 3 Real Madrid 1 (CL at Wembley)
Tottenham 3 Emirates Marketing Project 2 (FA Cup Final 1981)
Man United 1 Tottenham 6

I have done this before, and no doubt I have picked 2 or 3 different ones last time, but the favourite 5 I have attended
Tottenham 3 Inter Milan 1 (As many have said..what an atmosphere. Pavlyuchenko scoring the 3rd nearly lifted the roof off the Paxton)
Tottenham 6 Reading 4 (Nuts, just nuts)
Tottenham 2 Liverpool 1 (Pavlyuchenko late winner in the pouring rain, Liverpool top of the league, under the cosh all the game. Harry's 1st game at WHL)
Tottenham 3 Bruges 1 (Our first ever live European game. Didnt get home until 5am but it was amazing)
Stoke 0 Tottenham 4 -April 2016 (We were brilliant. I thought we were really going to catch Leicester that night)

I would have put City 0 Spurs 1 (Crouch) in there, but tbh for 90 minutes I was a wreck, THE longest few minutes of stoppage time EVER. Granted once the whistle blew it was amazing

Backgammon
Poker dice
Spin the bottle
Cornflake packet game
Hide the sausage
The Chicken Game
tumblr_o5lvymTLxL1qewacoo1_500.jpg

Wow , great to see posters that can recall seeing us play as far back as the 70's. Wonder how old our oldest poster is.... I properly started following us in the 90/91 season so that semi final win vs Arsenal will always be special (little did I know we wouldn't get to another FA Cup final for 32 years and counting) The league Cup Semi v Arsenal in 2008 then followed by beating Chelsea in the final. I suppose you'd have to put Ajax in there although we was outplayed for 75% of that tie but what an ending. Oh the home games vs Chelsea in 2006 when we beat them for the first time since 1990. I was there that day and the atmosphere was incredible.

Wow , great to see posters that can recall seeing us play as far back as the 70's. Wonder how old our oldest poster is.... and the atmosphere was incredible.

As far back as the 50s actually. My first visit to WHL was 1953 aged 9. Sadly have no memory of the game other than jumping every so often just to get a fleeting glimpse of the game over the heads of the adults all around me.

Earliest game I can still remember bits of was a 0-1 reverse against Sunderland in September 1954. I recall being dazzled by the dribbling skills of Sunderland's Len Shackleton. He was a big name back then and chose to really turn it on against us. Every time he got the ball he just slalomed through our defence like a knife through butter. His skills on the ball were a real eye opener to me as a 9yo.

Another game that sticks in the memory that same season was a 1-4 reverse at home to Charlton in October 1954. We were stranded at the bottom of the League at the time, on a run of 2 points from our previous eight games (sound familiar?). The painful memory of Alf Ramsey lobbing a back pass over keeper Ted Ditchburn's head for an og when we were already two down (or was it three?) has stayed with me to the present day.

Those early trips to WHL were often miserable affairs!

For those of us who are not privileged enough to go regularly, it's often a matter of luck - hoping that the games you can attend turn out to be classics. That has its charm too. Looking at the ones I happened to attend (which included many miserable and so-so ones - the recent game against Milan at home, my oldest son's first home game this season against Wolves, Nuno's last or penultimate game at Vitesse in the Conference League last year, Ghent-away in 2017, incidentally the only game in the Poch era I went to, and the 1-6 defeat at home to Chelsea with my dad in, what, 1997?), I have not been particularly lucky. The only NLD I ever attended (the Ziege free-kick) was memorable too, but I would name these as my 'greatest' five:

Spurs - Leicester 1-0 (LC final 1999, for obvious reasons - I remember singing "we only had ten men" with thousands of others on the train back to Central London).
Spurs - Kaiserslautern 1-0 (lots of rain under the lights, a glorious Ginola performance and an Iversen penalty goal that I thought would not be enough to go through - turned out to be correct).
Spurs - Southampton 7-2 (a season when I lived in London and attended almost every home game. Turned out to be a really crap season though with the Iversen-Armstrong combo, but this one was unexpected).
Spurs - Everton 3-2 (2000, because Rebrov scored twice and hit the bar and I thought it would be the making of him and that we had turned a corner).
PSV - Spurs 0-1 (2007? Great night, Berbatov was unstoppable ... but going out on penalties killed the joy).

Last edited:
Arsenal 91
Ajax 19
Forest 91
Chelsea 02
Chelsea 08

Arsenal 08, Inter 10, Soton 95, Asteras 14 and Porto 91 next closest.

Back