• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I think all 3 are good squad options atm and happy to see them duke it out for the time being (Mason/Carrol/Bentaleb)

Could probably even go in to next season with them all rather than dip in to the market

Personally I think Mason is a good bit better - supports the attackers more, passes forwards rather sideways, better tackler and stronger, gets goals....

Right now if I had the choice I would rather see Mason start than Carroll.

Though at the same time Carroll has only had 2 league starts for us under Pochettino. Could be a lot more coming from him if given more game time.

Happy to see the options for sure.

Seems to me that Carroll will be made a spacegoat for rocky performances. If Dembele stayed on then Carroll would not have had to cover his position.

Personally I think he offers more than Mason, which was the other option today.

I would agree with that and have said so earlier in the thread. As for being made a spacegoat I go along with that, since Jenas left the blame is usually passed onto Walker but seeing as he did not play yesterday some one had to be targeted. Its sad really.

I would agree with that and have said so earlier in the thread. As for being made a spacegoat I go along with that, since Jenas left the blame is usually passed onto Walker but seeing as he did not play yesterday some one had to be targeted. Its sad really.
I don't see how anyone could say Caroll offers more than Mason. Mason is the more progressive, and aggressive whilst Caroll is more possession oriented and 'safe' which is not a negative at all. In short, they are different types of CMs with different attributes but to suggest Caroll offers more than Mason is crazy to me...

I don't see how anyone could say Caroll offers more than Mason. Mason is the more progressive, and aggressive whilst Caroll is more possession oriented and 'safe' which is not a negative at all. In short, they are different types of CMs with different attributes but to suggest Caroll offers more than Mason is crazy to me...

Well Stop! Hammer time, the point is I would rather see Carroll ( 15 prem games)given as many games as Mason ( 40 Prem games) and see where we are then.

Well Stop! Hammer time, the point is I would rather see Carroll ( 15 prem games)given as many games as Mason ( 40 Prem games) and see where we are then.
Exactly, hence why i don't see how anyone can say he offers more than Mason at this stage,he's played a lot less games and hasn't been that good. I like Caroll,but I think there are times when we have missed Masons forward thinking. There will be times when both their styles will be required, it's a squad game and both of them will get opportunities this season....

Exactly, hence why i don't see how anyone can say he offers more than Mason at this stage,he's played a lot less games and hasn't been that good. I like Caroll,but I think there are times when we have missed Masons forward thinking. There will be times when both their styles will be required, it's a squad game and both of them will get opportunities this season....

Well I have never got some of the hype that has surrounded Mason and I am still not convinced he is the player some make him out to be. From what I have seen of Carroll he looks like once he has played a run of games he will prove to be a better player ( imo) Mason has ability but I think Carroll has more. I guess time will tell.

Well I have never got some of the hype that has surrounded Mason and I am still not convinced he is the player some make him out to be. From what I have seen of Carroll he looks like once he has played a run of games he will prove to be a better player ( imo) Mason has ability but I think Carroll has more. I guess time will tell.

Very different types of players .. amazed people try to compare, while both smaller

- Mason is extremely physical, lot more bite, never shirks a tackle/challenge, recycles quickly at his best, decent forward pass, as a youth player scored lots of goals. Mason to me is an option to cover Dembele in current side
- Carroll is more easily bullied, milder temperament, more of a passer, better technically, but can be guilty of going safe/sideways, more a creator than scorer of goals. Carroll is cover for Eriksen.

To your comment re the hype, Mason made an instant impact to our midfield last season (as did Bentaleb), Carroll has struggled to prove relevant to this team (last few games have shown he has a place).

Very different types of players .. amazed people try to compare, while both smaller

- Mason is extremely physical, lot more bite, never shirks a tackle/challenge, recycles quickly at his best, decent forward pass, as a youth player scored lots of goals. Mason to me is an option to cover Dembele in current side
- Carroll is more easily bullied, milder temperament, more of a passer, better technically, but can be guilty of going safe/sideways, more a creator than scorer of goals. Carroll is cover for Eriksen.

To your comment re the hype, Mason made an instant impact to our midfield last season (as did Bentaleb), Carroll has struggled to prove relevant to this team (last few games have shown he has a place).
I think this sums it up well, with the only difference being that I don't think that Carroll is as easily bullied as your post might suggest. What I like about both is that they have good vision and they find open players in good positions in the attacking half. I do think Carroll has what it takes to be a key part of this team. He has shown that in various moments during games, but he'll need some games to get comfortable and consistent. Lamela was given two whole seasons and look where he is now, so writing someone off based on a handful of appearances is ridiculous. Poch has shown to be a good judge of who can contribute, so let's go along with it and, if at the end of the season and several games for Carroll he is still inconsistent, then pass judgment.

I think this sums it up well, with the only difference being that I don't think that Carroll is as easily bullied as your post might suggest. What I like about both is that they have good vision and they find open players in good positions in the attacking half. I do think Carroll has what it takes to be a key part of this team. He has shown that in various moments during games, but he'll need some games to get comfortable and consistent. Lamela was given two whole seasons and look where he is now, so writing someone off based on a handful of appearances is ridiculous. Poch has shown to be a good judge of who can contribute, so let's go along with it and, if at the end of the season and several games for Carroll he is still inconsistent, then pass judgment.

To be clear, I'm not writing Carroll off, just see why people would put Mason ahead of him. I also agree a big part of the success of Poch's spurs so far is giving players a bit more time than previous Spurs managers/teams would have -> see Rose, Lamela, Dembele as best examples with Carroll & Trippier looking to be next to show value after initial doubts.

Re the bullying, he just isn't as physical as the rest of team (and as the system demands), not insurmountable (Erisken not a physical player either), but work he needs to do.

Point one I never said they were not different point two Mason was part of a CM last season that disappeared more often then not, because of that our back four was exposed more then they should have been so I would question the " instant impact" part of your comment. As for "struggled to prove relevant", well Carroll has played 15 Prem games ( and without looking I would say most of them were as a sub and never had a regular run in the side), so to be honest I will back off making that kind of judgement until he has a proper run of games.

What I will say ( and have done before) I like the way he plays ( pass and move and always looking for the next pass) I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

To be clear, I'm not writing Carroll off, just see why people would put Mason ahead of him. I also agree a big part of the success of Poch's spurs so far is giving players a bit more time than previous Spurs managers/teams would have -> see Rose, Lamela, Dembele as best examples with Carroll & Trippier looking to be next to show value after initial doubts.

Re the bullying, he just isn't as physical as the rest of team (and as the system demands), not insurmountable (Erisken not a physical player either), but work he needs to do.
The writing off was in response to other people's posts. ;)

I hope we'll see Bentaleb, Mason and Carroll in the same midfield v Leicester in the FA Cup (giving Dier, Dembele and Alli the day off).

Point one I never said they were not different point two Mason was part of a CM last season that disappeared more often then not, because of that our back four was exposed more then they should have been so I would question the " instant impact" part of your comment. As for "struggled to prove relevant", well Carroll has played 15 Prem games ( and without looking I would say most of them were as a sub and never had a regular run in the side), so to be honest I will back off making that kind of judgement until he has a proper run of games.

What I will say ( and have done before) I like the way he plays ( pass and move and always looking for the next pass) I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Mate, think we are crossing points here, simple view

- I like Carroll, but don't think he's similar to Mason in any other way than youth product who has taken the long route to first team.

Re the other points

- You are downplaying Mason's role last season, we were fudging dire with Capoue, Stambouli, etc in midfield, it was only when Poch switched to the Mason/Bentaleb pairing that we started improving as a side, and that side got us 5th, despite the obvious defensive deficiencies (Kaboul/Fazio own part of that issues as well) of that setup. Toby/Dier have addressed a lot of that and pushed us further on, and it will be interesting to see how/where Mason adds value to this team.
- Carroll hasn't had a run, because he hasn't forced his way into setup (he's looked tidy more than anything in most of his games).

Not saying a run of games won't show Carroll to be a key part of the team, but so far, Mason of last season had far more of an impact. I have hope for Carroll, think he's a smart player, but he needs to be more than "tidy", he needs to hurt teams with that passing to earn his spot.

Mate, think we are crossing points here, simple view

- I like Carroll, but don't think he's similar to Mason in any other way than youth product who has taken the long route to first team.

Re the other points

- You are downplaying Mason's role last season, we were fudgeing dire with Capoue, Stambouli, etc in midfield, it was only when Poch switched to the Mason/Bentaleb pairing that we started improving as a side, and that side got us 5th, despite the obvious defensive deficiencies (Kaboul/Fazio own part of that issues as well) of that setup. Toby/Dier have addressed a lot of that and pushed us further on, and it will be interesting to see how/where Mason adds value to this team.
- Carroll hasn't had a run, because he hasn't forced his way into setup (he's looked tidy more than anything in most of his games).

Not saying a run of games won't show Carroll to be a key part of the team, but so far, Mason of last season had far more of an impact. I have hope for Carroll, think he's a smart player, but he needs to be more than "tidy", he needs to hurt teams with that passing to earn his spot.

Well lets hope that both of them go on and become major players for us.

Going to be an interesting month with Carroll. SIx months left on his contract and still no word of a new deal, it wouldn't be very Levy-like to let an asset of value simply run down his contract and leave for free.

Going to be an interesting month with Carroll. SIx months left on his contract and still no word of a new deal, it wouldn't be very Levy-like to let an asset of value simply run down his contract and leave for free.

Absolutely. I would expect quite a few PL clubs would be interested in him on a free.

True. Though we might have some option somewhere in a contract that hasn't been made public. Or we might be in conversations with Carroll with an understanding that he signs a new contract if he gets game time.

Seems strange from Pochettino to give him game time ahead of Bentaleb at this stage of his development if we think it's likely that he will be gone in the summer.

Would we not get compensation for him?

Yes. But how much exactly is a bit of a crap shoot I think.

I see he was interviewed on Football Focus but am unable to view. Can anyone post or summarise what he had to say?

Back