• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I would definitely start him against Lazio, not sure against West Ham though. I think although it was said slightly in jest by an above poster, he will be passed by a bit as West Ham go over the top of midfield a fair bit and they will also try to get in and rough him up.

Could be worth starting against Liverpool who will give us time and space to play because they will try and play themselves.

There is something about the way Carroll goes about his business that makes him look like he could be REALLY good once he's had a few more games behind him. He can pick a pass, has composure and isn't scared of a challenge. I am looking forward to seeing him get more game time.

Think this will be our best 11 both home and away by the end of the season. I want to see us boss teams in possession. Dembele and Carroll have excellent vision to split defenses and are always showing in midfield looking for the ball. No more hudd please.

Think this will be our best 11 both home and away by the end of the season. I want to see us boss teams in possession. Dembele and Carroll have excellent vision to split defenses and are always showing in midfield looking for the ball. No more hudd please.

I don't know if it's just the slick graphics but I like the look of that formation and team. Maybe Kaboul for Caulker.

Don't agree tbh. How can our best team not include our best defender?

And that front 6 doesn't have anywhere near enough goals in it. Only Adebayor and perhaps Bale will score regularly in that team.

It's funny how at the start of this thread you got these 'know-it-all' macarons who were saying how bad he was/is.
The same people who, no doubt, get their information from the football manager computer game simulation I'd suggest.

I think AVB and the coaching staff are better placed than you people to decide where and when he should come into the team.

PS. - he needs to start every game until Moussa is fit again.

I have to say that I was a big fan of the Hud in years gone past, but now feel that for all his qualities on the ball, he does not give enough to the team off the pitch, although I am convinced he tries. Although Caroll doesnt have his strength his mobility and energy mean he should be given a chance at the expence of the Hud

I really like how he is constantly looking for the ball. He wastes a bit too much energy in doing so as he looks frantic, so could learn to calm things down slightly like Xavi would. I know the two are different players, but it might help the young lad's stamina.

Anyway he looks like a great prospect and I liked that AVB picked him for such a difficult away game and he performed so well. Set up Bale for a legit goal as well. Keep it up Tommy

I really like how he is constantly looking for the ball. He wastes a bit too much energy in doing so as he looks frantic, so could learn to calm things down slightly like Xavi would. I know the two are different players, but it might help the young lad's stamina.

Anyway he looks like a great prospect and I liked that AVB picked him for such a difficult away game and he performed so well. Set up Bale for a legit goal as well. Keep it up Tommy

That'll come with experience and playing time. I was very hopeful that we would bring him through this season and allow him the development which would see NEXT season allow him to really make a massive impact. I think he is a genuine, genuine talent and could absolutely become a massive player for Spurs and England. AVB's seen it and not been afraid to play him. Long may it continue...

I think it was Sherwood that said last season that out of the first team only Livermore has more stamina than Carroll so I think him running around a lot is good for the team.

I thought against Lazio that he darted forward a bit too early, it looked almost like we were playing a diamond formation with Sandro sitting back and Carroll looking for space in the hole, problem is just that with Naughton and Walker as our full backs and Sandro as the deep midfielder we struggled to make those telling passes into the final third.

I thought the same when Dembele first started games for us, after a couple of games though he started staying deep a bit more to start the attacks and I thought we benefited from it. Would have liked to see the same from young Carroll against Lazio.

Clearly showing a lot of promise though and showing that he's no pushover defensively, important for him and us as he doesn't strike me as a VdV type goalscoring attacking midfielder, but more of a Modric type central midfielder that needs to do a job both ways. Some of his passing has been top class, his close control looks really good, always looking for the ball, good at getting out of tight spaces and spotting a pass too.

Think he should start against West Ham if Dembele isn't ready to start.

He doesn't quite have the creativity of Modric, but i'm not sure how much is him and how much is the lack of movement in front of him.

Then again not many players do have the creativity Modric had, i have high hopes for the lad.

He doesn't quite have the creativity of Modric, but i'm not sure how much is him and how much is the lack of movement in front of him.

Then again not many players do have the creativity Modric had, i have high hopes for the lad.
Surprised you say that. Intelligent defence-splittng balls seems very much a part of his repertoire. Witness the peach through for Bale's wrongly disallowed goal against Lazio. There have already been several like that in previous games but inevitably until teammates get to know what to expect, some through balls will go to waste. For example in the second half v Lazio, he dissected Lazio's defence on the flank with a through ball into Lennon's path just at the moment when lennon halted his run. Lennon clearly wasn't expecting that ball and unfairly imv remonstrated with him for it.

A little bump after his good performance last night.

AVB showing some balls putting him in there when we were behind, and he did well I thought. Calm on the ball and quick, effective, accurate passing. Showed that he can come on in the PL to help us up our tempo. He was probably only on the bench last night because Dempsey was injured, but AVB showed faith in him and he proved himself ready for that responsibility.

Will be interesting to see if he gets any more minutes this season. Will also be interesting to see what happens next year, a couple more performances like the one last night and there might be some PL sides that show an interest in a loan for him.

100% pass completion rate as well - doing things simple, and doing the simple things right.

I like Carroll, and think he has the potential to be a very good player. A bit like Modric, he wants to be involved, and he tries to keep the ball moving. If he keeps developing, I can see him being a regular for us in the future - still has a way to go, but judging from the games he's played for us, the quality is there. Another good cameo last night!

100% pass completion rate as well - doing things simple, and doing the simple things right.

I like Carroll, and think he has the potential to be a very good player. A bit like Modric, he wants to be involved, and he tries to keep the ball moving. If he keeps developing, I can see him being a regular for us in the future - still has a way to go, but judging from the games he's played for us, the quality is there. Another good cameo last night!

I agree with your post, but i think pass completion rate on it's own really doesn't say much.

It's fun when players reach 100%, even over a fairly small sample, but much more important to me that his passing was quick and effective. Also most of his passes weren't just completed, they were accurate. There's a massive difference between a properly weighted quick pass that allows the receiving player to take the ball in his stride and attack some space and a pass that is played half a second later and slightly inaccurately so that the receiving player has to check back or take a touch just to control it. Something that doesn't really show up in pass completion rate at all, and attempting those quicker passes will generally lower completion rates as there's a higher chance of making a mistake.

How simple did he make the game look last night. We have good players. Give them the ball. A concept Mousa and Parker really seem to be struggling with recently. It was short, effective, and suddenly Lennon became involved. Who would have thought chucking on Livermore and Carroll would have happened as we won 3-2 in injury time. Credit Villas Boas.

Was nice to see Livermore, Carroll and Caulker all in the same XI.

The hard work from the academy and youth set up is starting to pay dividends - with some other rough diamonds coming through we can be confident about the future if we can continue to supplement with sensible buys e.g. Lloris and Sandro - you don't have to spunk £20m on a player... *Man Utd circa 1997 used this model with a decent return ;-)

Before you start I'm not comparing Carroll to Becks/Scholes et al...............

Was nice to see Livermore, Carroll and Caulker all in the same XI.

The hard work from the academy and youth set up is starting to pay dividends - with some other rough diamonds coming through we can be confident about the future if we can continue to supplement with sensible buys e.g. Lloris and Sandro - you don't have to spunk £20m on a player... *Man Utd circa 1997 used this model with a decent return ;-)

Before you start I'm not comparing Carroll to Becks/Scholes et al...............

Lloris, Dembele, Sandro, Holtby really do seem like sensible excellent signings that we need to make at this club.

Back