• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I agree with your post, but i think pass completion rate on it's own really doesn't say much.

It's fun when players reach 100%, even over a fairly small sample, but much more important to me that his passing was quick and effective. Also most of his passes weren't just completed, they were accurate. There's a massive difference between a properly weighted quick pass that allows the receiving player to take the ball in his stride and attack some space and a pass that is played half a second later and slightly inaccurately so that the receiving player has to check back or take a touch just to control it. Something that doesn't really show up in pass completion rate at all, and attempting those quicker passes will generally lower completion rates as there's a higher chance of making a mistake.

Agreed. It wasn't only the percentage of completed passes, but the quality of them. Mostly simple passes, but like I said, he did those simple things right, and helped us keep possession for the final part of the game.

I've noticed at the moment he is concerned with just making the pass and making sure it completes, which is important. As confidence grows it will be hit into space, urging the likes of Lennon and Bale to run on to it. Would be marvellous to see this kid blossom into a top player with us.

It's a big if, but if Carroll could start a game and have that sort of effect in terms of retaining the ball and moving it on, there'd be even less need to throw 25m at a moutinho type. I guess it might be early and he still might need his defining loan to get regular football and develop but as said, hopefully he can grow in to a great player with us. Looks like a Leon Britton type to me.

100% pass completion rate as well - doing things simple, and doing the simple things right.

I like Carroll, and think he has the potential to be a very good player. A bit like Modric, he wants to be involved, and he tries to keep the ball moving. If he keeps developing, I can see him being a regular for us in the future - still has a way to go, but judging from the games he's played for us, the quality is there. Another good cameo last night!

Was going to say similar , great 15 minutes. Definitely one for the future

It's a big if, but if Carroll could start a game and have that sort of effect in terms of retaining the ball and moving it on, there'd be even less need to throw 25m at a moutinho type. I guess it might be early and he still might need his defining loan to get regular football and develop but as said, hopefully he can grow in to a great player with us. Looks like a Leon Britton type to me.

Yes, I was watching Leon Britton the other day and think about Joe Allen and our Tom Carroll - neat, small, accurate, very tidy. If our Tom was at Swansea he would probably have a load of games under his belt and a price tag on his head to match.

Slightly off topic, but de Guzman seems a tidy player as well... I hope Spurs are keeping tabs on all the best players at weaker clubs (Swansea Villa Norwich Wigan Southampton West Ham) with a view to hoovering up the best talent.

Yes, I was watching Leon Britton the other day and think about Joe Allen and our Tom Carroll - neat, small, accurate, very tidy. If our Tom was at Swansea he would probably have a load of games under his belt and a price tag on his head to match.

Slightly off topic, but de Guzman seems a tidy player as well... I hope Spurs are keeping tabs on all the best players at weaker clubs (Swansea Villa Norwich Wigan Southampton West Ham) with a view to hoovering up the best talent.

I quite like the defender clarke at villa. Not saying we should sign him but i think in maybe 2 seasons time he could come through as a very good player, a lot of the young villa players are getting a lot of games which is good for their development even if villa are a bit too young at times.

All Top Cat needs is to drink protein shakes like his life depends on it and hit the gym every day.

There's a reason those clubs are down there - their players are poor. Unless its an up and coming youngster, there are very very few players from those teams which I would be interested in. (cue lots of people mentioning Michu....)

There's a reason those clubs are down there - their players are poor. Unless its an up and coming youngster, there are very very few players from those teams which I would be interested in. (cue lots of people mentioning Michu....)

Think lumping Swansea in there is unfair. If they hadn't fielded a severely weakened team and had won at Anfield they would be above Liverpool. Are we lumping the scousers into that group of weaker teams?/

There are some decent players in those teams.

At Swansea Michu is one definitely.
Villa..Benteke obviously.
I like McCarthy at Wigan. Kone is on good form too.
WH....err.....Diame maybe and Joe Cole of course.

I watched a lot of Villarreal when they were top flight and did think that De Guzman would be a great signing for them. Think the boat has sailed on that one though, will most likely want to stay at Swansea. And robbing players who'd excelled on loan at Swansea isn't a transfer strategy with much longevity, although Caulker and Siggy are excellent additions to the squad for sure \o/

Carrol reminds me of Leon Britton at Swansea. Could be a decent loan move to Swansea next year. Think he would fit right in should Britton leave.

There are some decent players in those teams.

At Swansea Michu is one definitely.
Villa..Benteke obviously.
I like McCarthy at Wigan. Kone is on good form too.
WH....err.....Diame maybe and Joe Cole of course.

Agree on those I like Pilkington at Norwich

Carrol reminds me of Leon Britton at Swansea. Could be a decent loan move to Swansea next year. Think he would fit right in should Britton leave.
Can't see that happening, unless there's an option to buy. A well-managed decent Premier League club (which Swansea are at the moment) would never build their midfield around a single on-loan player. That's going to be Carroll's problem - to do well, he needs to be at the centre of things in a passing side, so perhaps a ball-playing team chasing promotion from the Championship. Possibly Southampton or Reading, if one of them stays up.

Agreed.

I said in the summer that I felt if we developed him properly this season, we would really see the benefits NEXT season, and I think AVB has done very very well using him properly. Last night will have given the lad so much confidence, coming on when the chips were down and being part of that fightback. He's a potentially lovely player and I genuinely expect him to grow even more...

Agreed.

I said in the summer that I felt if we developed him properly this season, we would really see the benefits NEXT season, and I think AVB has done very very well using him properly. Last night will have given the lad so much confidence, coming on when the chips were down and being part of that fightback. He's a potentially lovely player and I genuinely expect him to grow even more...

:lol:

Short jokes? already? :p

Big fan of carroll but was worried when he came on for Dembele, more for what Moussa could do like against Lyon. Also worried that a midfield of parker carroll could potentially be lightweight, but fair play to Tom he gave us something different. Moved the ball about excellently and quickly too and he definitely played his part in putting pressure on the spammers.

If he keeps developing like he is, he is a ready made modric replacement. In AVB we finally have a coach who knows how to develop our young talent. Would harry have had the balls to take off Dembele for Tom or Parker for Livermore? I can't think of two less likely subs when a goal down.

In terms of potential, Carroll could actually be exactly what our squad needs - a nimble little player whose outstanding quality is his passing, a "knitter" type who likes to stitch play. If he keeps one-touching the ball on quickly and precisely (and immediately going on to move into space afterwards), being lightweight isn't as big of a problem. I know that he doesn't have even Modric's gritty quads, but it's being a bit slow in the head and feet and taking that extra touch that makes a player vulnerable to losing the ball, regardless of what they're built like.

I think he's well capable of showing off a wider range of passing too, much like Modric who could really do it all. As he grows in experience I hope he can come to really assert himself in midfield and dictate tempo more colorfully and authoritatively, as much as simply circulate possession the way Britton or Allen do (though they're capable of coming alive with a neat throughball too).

Back