• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

The problem is his contract situation. It has to come to a head this window one way or another.

I can't see him agreeing to a 1 year deal, so we'll either be committing long term, or getting a modest fee before he walks in June.

Agree with you. However, I personally think he would be stupid not to sign a new contract. Why would he want to go anywhere else. We just need to show to him that if he plays well, he will get a game.

Agree with you. However, I personally think he would be stupid not to sign a new contract. Why would he want to go anywhere else. We just need to show to him that if he plays well, he will get a game.

I don't know. Dier, Alli, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Pritchard, Winks, Onomah, Edwards. I don't think there's another club around that has such an embarrassment of exciting young CMs and ACMs. The first 5 are already well ahead of him and the latter 4 probably have more potential (Pritchard has already overtaken him in the U21s pecking order).

I don't know. Dier, Alli, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Pritchard, Winks, Onomah, Edwards. I don't think there's another club around that has such an embarrassment of exciting young CMs and ACMs. The first 5 are already well ahead of him and the latter 4 probably have more potential (Pritchard has already overtaken him in the U21s pecking order).

That may be the case, but I think if he sees that he is getting rewarded for good performances, he will sign. This team has a togetherness, and they all obviously have the utmost respect for Poch. It will be interesting to see whether he signs a new contract or not. I think he has got potential, but I also think that of a lot of our youngsters so will not be overly disappointed if he does decide to leave. I think he can be a good player and certainly worth a squad place. I have not seen enough of Pritchard, Winks or Edwards to make a judgement one way or another. I would say that Onomah is more offensive and can only play as part of the front 3, whereas Carrol is more of a deeper midfielder.

Onomah is clearly thought of as an attacking player now rather than a midfielder and Alli appears to be too

Just I on a side note... People have said that Carroll lacks the physicality needed yet last night I saw a smaller player in kante (apologies if spelt wrong) boss midfield for Leicester through sheer effort and running. If your good enough you don't have to be a beast... I would add that I'm not saying he is good enough for us but I think he is certainky good enough For a top flight career

Onomah is clearly thought of as an attacking player now rather than a midfielder and Alli appears to be too

Just I on a side note... People have said that Carroll lacks the physicality needed yet last night I saw a smaller player in kante (apologies if spelt wrong) boss midfield for Leicester through sheer effort and running. If your good enough you don't have to be a beast... I would add that I'm not saying he is good enough for us but I think he is certainky good enough For a top flight career
Bang on. Size and physicality is not the be all and end all for a midfielder. On the contrary I would say football intelligence trumps all. Just ask Xavi. As a player he is quite similar in style and stature to Tom and I hope he is a player Tom sees as a role model of sorts for what he can achieve in the game as a littleun'.

I like the way Tom plays with his head up. His performance versus Monaco is a bit of a watershed moment for him I think. The last game was not great for anyone really so I won;t hold that against him. I hope he signs a new contract.

Last edited:
I would say that size contributes to overall athleticism. Kante is small, but looks much quicker and more mobile than Carroll to me. Some players are able to impose themselves regardless of size. For me, Mason holds his own much better than Carroll does. If you're a light-weight, kinda slow type of player, then you need to be very gifted to get away with it, especially in the Premier League. It's no good talking about Xavi to argue for Carroll's place in our side. If Carroll had that kind of technical ability, nobody would argue against him starting games for us, but he doesn't.

I have nothing against him, I just don't think he's good enough to get infront of our other midfielders when they are fit.

He isnt good enough for Spurs, he's been around what seems to be ages and never made an impression. Says it all really

He isnt good enough for Spurs, he's been around what seems to be ages and never made an impression. Says it all really

I agree, he had the perfect opportunity to show what he can do on Sunday and he failed. Too many times he came deep into the area that Dier had under control only to play negative passes, he also stood off players and when trying to press he was starting too far away from the player which gave them plenty of time to off load. He's slowed the game down when in possession and his tackling is woeful, he's a tidy player but that all. Erikson was frozen out of the game because of this.

I agree, he had the perfect opportunity to show what he can do on Sunday and he failed. Too many times he came deep into the area that Dier had under control only to play negative passes, he also stood off players and when trying to press he was starting too far away from the player which gave them plenty of time to off load. He's slowed the game down when in possession and his tackling is woeful, he's a tidy player but that all. Erikson was frozen out of the game because of this.

I broadly agree but to say he only played negative passes is just plain wrong. As mentioned in post 813 above he did produce a couple of superb forward passes to instigate our two best moves of the match.

Where I would agree is overall he failed to impose himself sufficiently when it really mattered. At 23 time is rapidly running out but unluckily for him his big chance came immediately after playing Thursday night - which must surely have taken it's toll.

I broadly agree but to say he only played negative passes is just plain wrong. As mentioned in post 813 above he did produce a couple of superb forward passes to instigate our two best moves of the match.

Where I would agree is overall he failed to impose himself sufficiently when it really mattered. At 23 time is rapidly running out but unluckily for him his big chance came immediately after playing Thursday night - which must surely have taken it's toll.

I'm sure you did not mean to quote me out of context, but I did write "he came deep into the area that Dier had under control ONLY TO PLAY NEGATIVE PASSES ". He must step up now as there are many players wanting that midfield slot and cannot afford to stand in space and not influence the game.

I'm sure you did not mean to quote me out of context, but I did write "he came deep into ONLY TO PLAY NEGATIVE PASSES ". He must step up now as there are many players wanting that midfield slot and cannot afford to stand in space and not influence the game.
You may well be right in arguing that most of Carroll's passes when he came deep into the area that Dier had under control were negative, but not all were, and one at least was worthy of a Modric or indeed a Xavi. I'm talking about the one in the 52nd minute when for the second time in the match he influenced the game positively by launching a brilliant breakout move from defence that culminated in Kane's long-range shot being turned away for a corner.

So - any chance of credit where it's due?

gonad*s... Chadli is built like a tank but gets knocked off the ball like no ones business...

There is no way to tell someone's upper body strength watching a game of football

cobblers... Chadli is built like a tank but gets knocked off the ball like no ones business...

There is no way to tell someone's upper body strength watching a game of football

Oh really? So how do you know that "Chadli gets knocked off the ball like no ones business.." then?;)

Back