• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Would be a shame to lose him, but everyone was certain he was out the door this summer (almost every post was ‘we haven’t signed anyone yet and Toby is going!’) but I never quite got it, because I didn’t know who was spending enough to make it worth our while to sell him last summer rather than this.

Maybe we work something out, or maybe one of our rivals thinks he is a bargain. It is interesting that Poch got him back into the fold. Maybe the trust was broken after his agent moved the goalposts on the contract, so Poch has said something like the way to earn that trust, and new contract, is to have a flawless season with us. I think it would have surprised Toby’s camp that nobody really came in for him last summer. It may have made them think the grass isn’t always greener.

I think they'll just carry on stalling through the summer and see what develops. If there's no deal on offer big enough to suit them between now and when the clause expires, he'll say he wants to sign another contract here.

I think they'll just carry on stalling through the summer and see what develops. If there's no deal on offer big enough to suit them, he'll say he wants to sign another contract here.

He's always got the option of seeing out the final year of the extended contract and moving on a free in summer 2020.

That might not be the end of the world for us

I think it would be the best option for us. I think we’ve set the £25m too low and given that despite the fact that he’ll be 30 I could see a lot of PL teams thinking that that would be a price worth paying for 3-4 years of him.

Only question is which team would come in for him, offer him more AND be able to offer a regular starting role in an equally competitive team

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Well initially I was just thinking, we've had really good service out of him, and he only cost £12m, so to keep him this season and lose him for £25m is far from the end of the world.

Also, to keep him through this season gives us time to see if we cant do a deal still.

I’m confused. Does the clause become active with 2 weeks of the summer window left and expires when the window closes a fortnight later ?

Or is it saying it’s active now and is staying active until two weeks to go before the end of the summer window?

I’m confused. Does the clause become active with 2 weeks of the summer window left and expires when the window closes a fortnight later ?

Or is it saying it’s active now and is staying active until two weeks to go before the end of the summer window?

I would need to double check but my recollection is that the clause is active from when the current deal (before the extension) finishes and closes two weeks before the window closes. Basically, clubs have a month when they can get him for £25m in the summer.

I would need to double check but my recollection is that the clause is active from when the current deal (before the extension) finishes and closes two weeks before the window closes. Basically, clubs have a month when they can get him for £25m in the summer.
Got you, cheers matey. So it’ll be something like July 1st to ‘window close’ (minus two weeks)

I’ve just checked, the old contract expires 30/06/19
Working to the 9th August as per @Jordinho and subtracting 2 weeks, means the clause expires 26th July.

So the window of exposure is 01/07 to 26/07. = 4 working weeks exactly.

I think it would be the best option for us. I think we’ve set the £25m too low and given that despite the fact that he’ll be 30 I could see a lot of PL teams thinking that that would be a price worth paying for 3-4 years of him.

Only question is which team would come in for him, offer him more AND be able to offer a regular starting role in an equally competitive team

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Arsenal Chelsea City Liverpool and United

The sky article also says he was available for 25m last summer!

Does this mean the clause came into play last summer too but no one knew or we were willing to sell for 25m?

Both scenarios surely very unlikely!

Also during the 4 weeks next summer couldnt we play silly buggers much like pool did with suarez? I mean who wants a messy court case...

We can say 'we have recieved your offer but daniel is busy on the finishing touches of the new stadium and will get back to you in due course' :D

I’ve just checked, the old contract expires 30/06/19
Working to the 9th August as per @Jordinho and subtracting 2 weeks, means the clause expires 26th July.

So the window of exposure is 01/07 to 26/07. = 4 working weeks exactly.
During which he will have a special pre season training program in a luxury resort protected by armed guards and no community devices.

Let's call it mindfulness training.

I think Davies has proved he looks at home at CB in the last couple of games, so If we had to lose Toby at the end of the season we may not be is such a rush to sign another one. Foyth, Jan, Sanchez along with Davies and lets not forget Dier can play there if required.
He's looked a bit more comfortable there than at LB this season, or at least the early part of this season. He's improved lately (at LB) mind.

Even with Davies playing as CB on occasion I think we should still go for De Ligt. I've watched him a few times now and what struck me is his maturity. He's well ahead of his years in terms of reading of the game and decision making. I'm not sure we even have a chance now as his stock is rising so fast and Barca is supposedly in the frame, but if there is a chance at all we should take it.

Seems to me we have activiated this contract extensions to stop him from agreeing a move in January for free. I think he will sign a new contract before the summer.

Back