• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

For me the maths is very simple;

Pay 180k/w for Harry, Dele and Christian? Hell yes!
Pay 180k/w for Toby? No

I think you (and many others tbh) are quickly forgetting how good our defence was last year to get us that 2nd place finish. And possibly the season before also.
We had the best defensive record for crying out loud.
Ok, so he's missed a lot of this season, but to write him off as not as important as Harry, Del and Eriksen seems ridiculous to me!!

Early doors Sanchez looked superb, but for me it was largely because he had Toby alongside him. he's been ok since, but i definitely don't think he's ready to have a whole season in a back 4. We look weaker for it no doubt.

I think you (and many others tbh) are quickly forgetting how good our defence was last year to get us that 2nd place finish. And possibly the season before also.
We had the best defensive record for crying out loud.
Ok, so he's missed a lot of this season, but to write him off as not as important as Harry, Del and Eriksen seems ridiculous to me!!

Early doors Sanchez looked superb, but for me it was largely because he had Toby alongside him. he's been ok since, but i definitely don't think he's ready to have a whole season in a back 4. We look weaker for it no doubt.

Just for the record Sanchez has played in ONE league defeat if I’m correct and that was arsenal away where the ref robbed us despite playing badly.
He has had his ups and downs in games but IMO we have been no worse off without Toby which I’m genuinely suprised at

For me the maths is very simple;

Pay 180k/w for Harry, Dele and Christian? Hell yes!
Pay 180k/w for Toby? No

Given his experience and performances I thought Toby deserved a rise that reflected this but the thing with Football is the wages is those three players are all ‘worth’ is more as they all have sell on values that are enhanced by the length of their contract and potential to become even better players. I’d imagine marketing comes into it too and injury records, especially for clubs that are run without cheat mode on.

So in saying all that,I don’t see a rationale for Lloris to have parity with Kane once the post stadium wages kick in. I don’t see how anyone in the squad would begrudge him earning the most, he ticks every box for me.

Well thats not true - he has had a lot of shaky moments. Everyone can see his potential, but he's not as solid as Toby yet.

But if Poch wants to pick him over Toby for the future then Im ok with that....

The odd mistake from Sanchez hasn’t cost us a result in the league at least (the ref made the errors vs arsenal)

The odd mistake from Sanchez hasn’t cost us a result in the league at least (the ref made the errors vs arsenal)
“Davinson is so disappointed. I think it wasn’t his intention to put the elbow in his [Richarlion’s] face. The decision was the decision, and we can change nothing now

“The important thing was the team always was with the character to go forward and try to win the game.”

Sanchez’s dismissal came after Son Heung-min had cancelled out Christian Kabasele’s opening goal, and though Watford pressed for a winner when their opponents were reduced to 10 men, they failed to beat Hugo Lloris a second time

More dropped points from Tottenham, as West Brom spirits are finally lifted.

Pochettino had also greatly praised Davinson Sanchez in his pre-game press conference, albeit with many caveats about how much he still could improve, and it was the caveats that were more conspicuous here when Spurs conceded the opening goal.

To be fair, it wasn’t only Sanchez’s fault, and he wasn’t the only home player that seemed so oddly slack. Dele Alli had received the ball in the centre of the pitch, only to have his pocket so easily picked by Jake Livermore, who played Rondon through. Pochettino had been especially effusive about Sanchez’s strength and stability in one-on-ones and there was perhaps an element of complacency or presumptuousness about the young defender when he seemed to think he had got the better of Rondon, only to fail to clear, and then see the Venezuelan turn and get just enough on the ball to divert it past Hugo Lloris. The goalkeeper looked as dumbfounded as Sanchez that West Brom were somehow in the lead from the move, and it was a feeling that appeared to ripple through the Spurs side.

Left out of the squad completely?

Assuming its true, you'd assume he'd be getting mighty p1ssed off with not playing...whether he has any right to be or not we don't know given we dont see him on a daily basis in training, however it can't be doing anything for his and Poch's relationship

Listen, we've done well without Alderweireld. And if we sell him, we'll survive, just as we did when we sold Gazza, Teddy, Berbatov, Modric, Bale etc etc and just as we will if Kane, Eriksen or whoever ends up leaving.

It doesn't mean I want him to go though and we'll be weaker for it. He is one of the top 2/3 cbs in the league, without a doubt for me. And he is so experienced.

Still, I find it difficult to get too upset at anyone tbh. He (and his agent) rightly view him as one of the best cbs in the world most likely. The best cbs in the world earn almost 200k and win trophies regularly. So fair play to him. Ramos, Pique, Chiellini, VVD (lol) etc.

At the same time, if Levy feels we can't countenance that, then we can't. We have to stay within our financial means.

We'll definitely need another cb though. If Vertonghen is out, I don't feel confident with any other combination, especially if we're playing a top team.

He is worth the wages, but then Kane would be worth 400,000 a week, Eriksen 250,000 a week and Dele would be getting 100 plus a week. Would cost millions and set the club back. We would probably get some back by asking for money back from Sissoko and Aurier who have stolen a living off us.

Back