• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood…not treated with the respect a headmaster is.

I think there are two kinds of energy, physical and psychological. When a team has a good lead and is scoring for fun, the players can relax and it is not as psychologically tiring. When the game is tight until the end the play is more mentally draining and mistakes become more likely. This aspect is probably mixed with confidence. When in a good mental state it is easier to play when physically tired.

Sometimes when players are relaxed and scoring for fun a Pulis side knocks in three against them.

So all very basic stuff, not particularly successful in an attacking sense without hulk/bale scoring worldies or at least threatening to do so - it doesn't work with tounsend.

Defensively the false pressing with a high line leaves you ridiculously exposed to the counter, something that cole brought up in an interview about Avbs time

barca at their best pressed fully for 10 secs or so then dropped back negating this to an extent, why didn't avb do the same

you're right, that was the tactic, but didn't they retrieve it within 8 most of the time

Well spotted. You could argue that the AVB tactic book is incomplete rather than inherently wrong. Barca dropping into a defensive shape does happen, albeit rarely as the manic way they (used to) retrieve the ball after loosing possession was very successful.

The inverted winger letting loose a few long rangers is not a bad option but when it's your primary method of attack then it's pretty easy to defend against. As was mention above, it was our lack of movement around the box that was our real issue. How often was Soldado the only attacker in the box? No wonder he scored practically no goals. No matter how many runs you make if you are surrounded by a forest of defenders it is not going to work. Our lack of intelligent off the ball running in support of the striker was our biggest failing and it was componded by AVB's obsession with possession. High possession numbers has it's merits but every now and then you need to try an incisive pass.

Movement is problem with us no doubt, but when you play a high line and compress the field as much as avb did your movement has to be exceptional to get joy from basically 9 men behind the ball, this is not an impossible task at all, but also relies on quick incisive passing which we displayed very little of... Why is that? Infact in terms of one touch and incisive passing avb either ignored or got rid of/loaned out the three people in our squad that had this in their locker, why is that?

Sometimes when players are relaxed and scoring for fun a Pulis side knocks in three against them.

Liverpool weren't relaxed in the slightest. They put 3 past Palace and ridiculously believed that they could make up the 12 goal difference on Emirates Marketing Project. So they went for broke. At one point, Johnson was well beyond the halfway line and Rodgers was having a go at him to get him to go further forward.

Essentially, they went even more kamikazee than they have been going so far this season and got caught out, probably not helped that the Palace players might have felt anger at the fact the Liverpool players clearly thought they could stick 5/6/7 past them at home.

liverpool forgot they were playing a premiership side, they got 3-0 up then lost all respect for palace, as soon as that happened a comeback was inevitable

Barca at their best full-pressed long enough to convince their opponents that they wouldn't have any time on the ball then pressed with one whilst the others dropped. When their opponents started getting their heads up again, they'd start to full press for a few minutes.

Also known as false pressing.

That's precisely what AVB wanted Spurs to do (or at least it's what he believes is the way to play) - I don't think it's fair to criticise him that we weren't as good at is as Barca.

Edit:

And false pressing with a high line is a high risk strategy, but one that can be made to work. Bayern used it a lot last season to great effect.

When did we full press then because I saw very little of it, in fact our pressing was much better with Harry in charge, although he was seen by some as purely a counter attacking manager. Bayern may false press (I haven't seen enough of them) but when I have seen them they full press very well... Not to barca in their pomp levels but still exceptionally well and everyone works hard.

"oh good, its all about me again"

Daniel-Levy-Tottenham.jpg

Notice club are trying to brush over it quickly. Nothing on the homepage or latest news on the website. You'd never know if you were refreshing the home page waiting for news!

Club Statement - Tim Sherwood

The Club can announce that Tim Sherwood has left his coaching position at the Club.

Chairman, Daniel Levy, commented,

“We appointed Tim mid-season as someone who knew both the players and the Club.

“We agreed an 18-month contract with a break clause at the end of the season and we have now exercised that option.

“Since appointing Tim as Assistant First Team Coach in 2008 and then as Technical Co-ordinator in 2010 and Head of Football Development in 2012, we have been supportive of him during football management changes throughout that period. On behalf of the Club, I should like to state our thanks for all his efforts during his years with us. We wish him great success in his managerial career.

“Moving forward, now the season is over, we shall embark on the process of finding a new Head Coach. We have a talented squad and exciting young players coming through. We need to build on this season, develop our potential and inspire the kind of performances that we associate with our great Club."

Well I of course will be offering my unqualified support to whoever the new manager is - it's what true fans do.

But I can't help feeling that sacking the manager who had the best League record for Spurs since we joined the Football League in 1908 is a terrible mistake and one which will come back to bite us on the ar$e.

The very best of luck to Tim Sherwood for his future career.

Last edited:
Back