• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Im not going to harp on about this but as far as im concerned... we did have someone who worked... his name was Harry. People can use all the stats they want etc but we were successful in terms of being competitive.

Again, agreed.

And do you know why I think he worked? Because Levy trusted him in a very specific situation where he needed to submit to Harry. He brought in the players Harry said we wanted. We were able to build out through Harry who we knew could do the job, and Levy didn't interfere. Once he had starting interfering, it went tits up again.

dont agree with this at all... Glenns just been waiting to thrust the knife into tim.

Why should footballers have their precious ego's protected....there all for publicly slamming refs...we see it on the pitch...or do you think rooney shoulod confine his berating of the refs to the dressing room.

Football needs more Sherwoods...his comments have been pretty much lauded by fans everywhere as refreshing and honest.

Let's see how they react then.

Tim's job is to get the best out of his players. The test of his skills is how he does that when things are going against him.

Criticising the players like he did yesterday will not get the reaction he wants. It doesn't matter if "it cant get worse". His job as manager is to make things get better.

How do you know?

Why is being nice to the players, 'confining to the dressing room' and all of that more likely to get a reaction than telling them exactly what's what?

The attitude has been disgusting this season. We had a good team spirit, probably one of the best in the country over the last few years. But this season it has been terrible. Players constantly moaning at each other. Not concentrating at crucial moments. Not digging in and stopping defeats from becoming embarrassing capitulations.

Let's see how they react then.

Yes but lets give it the two games! Benfica then NLD

What I would say is that you dont attack an individual in public, however to have a pop at the collective is fine with me, especially after that capitulation.

Levy doesn't want top 4?!? That's an even better one. =D>

Maybe the CL bonuses are giving him nightmares.

I like Levy but really I wish he'd just **** off to Florida and leave the footballing side of things to the football people, he can't help but meddle and until he learns not to then we're just going to be in this never-ending cycle of new managers/staff/players every other season. I'm feeling particularly apathetic about our future and I don't really know what Levy expects, there are 5 clubs with much bigger budgets than us, it's just not realistic to expect top 4 whilst breaking even every season and having a wage bill half the size of the others. I just want Sherwood to get the gig and be given time to bring through academy/younger players who'll learn the Tottenham way whatever that is. I struggle to get behind this team as it's forever changing, I don't feel any kind of connection with most of this squad and it's going to be the same again next season when we bring in another big name continental manager who'll talk a good game but ultimately will do no better than those who preceded him.

We may still be THFC but the T now stands for Transition.

Yes but lets give it the two games! Benfica then NLD

What I would say is that you dont attack an individual in public, however to have a pop at the collective is fine with me, especially after that capitulation.

Id agree if he said "the performance wasnt good enough from the team" but he questioned the character of some players and said there were some players he could rely on and some he couldn't. That's a horse of a different colour for me.

The contradiction is you saying Levy doesn't care about what Sherwood does because he can't have expected top 4 by appointing someone like Sherwood in the first place and Tim is only in the job to fill a gap. The inference was that Levy wrote off the season when he appointed Tim. Now you've admitted that isnt the case because Levy does actually care about top 4.

The first rule of management is criticise in private. That's what the great managers do. Look at Wenger. We destroyed them 5-1 and he went on tv and, with a straight face, said Arsenal were the better side. Do you think he actually believed that? That he went into training the next day and said "Don't worry boys, we were the better side. Keep doing what you did last night". Fergie blamed everything from the ref to the fixture list to the colour of the jerseys for defeats. You think he believed that? When did any great manager do what Tim did yesterday?

I never knew Tim to be particularly outspoken. In fact, most of the objections to his appointment here were because of his sneakiness and politics within the club. That's the opposite of what you're claiming he is. Either way, by appointing him into the role, Levy will have expected a certain level of public behaviour and yesterday wasn't it.

Like I say. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Im betting on United overhauling us, maybe Everton too, us going out of the Europa to Benfica and Tim on the dole by June.
of course Levy cares about getting a top 4 place, but you tell me then, was hiring TS the best choice to achieve that???? If anyway you think that Utd and Everton will finish above us and TS will be on the dole in the summer, then how the heck can you think Levy has a clue about what he is doing??

I'm catching up on this thread now since yesterday and there is a constant theme popping up that "you cant expect to bed in new players without mistakes."
None of the seven signings started yesterday! Paulinho was the only one that came on.

of course Levy cares about getting a top 4 place, but you tell me then, was hiring TS the best choice to achieve that???? If anyway you think that Utd and Everton will finish above us and TS will be on the dole in the summer, then how the heck can you think Levy has a clue about what he is doing??

Agreed, he seems to be contradicting himself a little. If Sherwood is as useless as he's being painted out to be then getting top 4 couldn't have been as important to Levy as he's trying to suggest.

Yeah it has to be the right man, but are we seriously saying that out of the 29948097987 managers we've had under Levy, not one of them would have done a bit better with a bit more time, and the club might be a bit further along in our progress as a result? It's stunning that we lurch from manager to manager, assuming we have a divine right to be in the top 4 and thinking random new guy #97967678 is going to solve the issues for us. At no point has Levy thought stability may actually be the answer. Are we seriously saying none of the managers Levy has employed were not good enough to be successful? Is it not possible the issue is with the guy making the decisions in the first place? We've seen the same mistakes repeated too many times now. It's becoming very clear why we are where we are, and why we have blown such a phenomenal opportunity to break the cartel this season.

Either way, Levy is either routinely hiring the wrong people and making bad decisions from that end, or he is making bad decisions by not giving good managers time to build something. He's had enough benefit of the doubt. He's hidden enough behind everybody else now. The microscope needs to arrive at his door.

Who specifically did you think in the situation they were in at the time should have been given more time?

Oh and I know people love to do whatever to inflate numbers, but including caretaker managers in the calculations seems a bit silly to me.

Levy obviously doesn't think we have a divine right to be in the top 4, but he aims above our standing and tries to get us there. That's ambition. We should have course just "find our place" in 6th and be happy with that, I'm glad we try.

Looking at our league positions since Levy took over it looks clear enough to me that we've been improving. Looking at our turnover compared to the teams we're competing with I'm not surprised we're struggling to break into the top 4. Seems you think we have as many thoughts about divine rights as Levy seeing as you seem to think not getting there regularly means you want rid of him.

Im not going to harp on about this but as far as im concerned... we did have someone who worked... his name was Harry. People can use all the stats they want etc but we were successful in terms of being competitive.

Have to say I agree with this.

Also there a misinterpretation of what Sherwood meant yesterday.
He doesn't want a few grafters in the team.

He wants one maybe two players who are obsessed with winning games, aren't in football to make friends with the other players, and aren't afraid to tell their teammates on the pitch to get their **** together. This isnt about that players skill level or 'hardness'.

Our captains yesterday Dawson and then Vertonghen aren't this player. Sandro is not this player even though he's 'hard'.

Again, agreed.

And do you know why I think he worked? Because Levy trusted him in a very specific situation where he needed to submit to Harry. He brought in the players Harry said we wanted. We were able to build out through Harry who we knew could do the job, and Levy didn't interfere. Once he had starting interfering, it went tits up again.

The problem is people always think there is something or someone better out there when in reality the status quo is what worked. I know what youre saying regarding Levy and the backing of Managers etc. I dont think it is limited to just Levys backing that made it work, I think Harry suited us. Anyways thats the past, I think what im trying to get at is sometimes more glamorous isnt always the best option. People wants a glamorous Manager i.e. LVG but in actual fact sometimes what you need is someone who is more suited to our current set up - that for me is TS.

Agreed, he seems to be contradicting himself a little. If Sherwood is as useless as he's being painted out to be then getting top 4 couldn't have been as important to Levy as he's trying to suggest.

Not at all. I'm not saying Sherwood is useless at all. I've even praised his set up against Chelsea somewhere on here today. The results have been good so far.

My point is that now the chips are down, Sherwood is being seriously tested for the first time. He's reacted badly and in a way I believe that Levy won't have expected. I think his post match interview will lose him the dressing room.

i think that sherwood is a waste of space/time/money. we should've just kept avb despite the speculated issues about isolation etc. saved us from compensating him, and still have sherwood looking for gems in the u21s

Also there a misinterpretation of what Sherwood meant yesterday.
He doesn't want a few grafters in the team.

He wants one maybe two players who are obsessed with winning games, aren't in football to make friends with the other players, and aren't afraid to tell their teammates on the pitch to get their **** together. This isnt about that players skill level or 'hardness'.

Our captains yesterday Dawson and then Vertonghen aren't this player. Sandro is not this player even though he's 'hard'.

Yep. But Again he's been misinterpreted purposely in order to support the argument by some on here that he is clueless. He wants players with ability but ones that also refuse to lose.

Sandro is the nearest thing we have to it, but you're right, he's not the leader type that will drag the rest of the team into his mindset.

i wonder what LVGs reaction would have been if he had witnessed such a capitulation from his team :lol: The guy is mad, great manager but he is not afraid of saying what he feels.

Absolutely bang on the money. His sacking has come back to bite us on the **** massively.

It's why I said about karma being a bitch in another thread.

Yep. But Again he's been misinterpreted purposely in order to support the argument by some on here that he is clueless. He wants players with ability but ones that also refuse to lose.

Sandro is the nearest thing we have to it, but you're right, he's not the leader type that will drag the rest of the team into his mindset.

Dunno if that's aimed at me given I've been the most critical of Sherwood today but if it is, take a look at my posting history. I've not criticised Tim prior to this. Just thought he was out of line yesterday and incredibly naive.

Dunno if that's aimed at me given I've been the most critical of Sherwood today but if it is, take a look at my posting history. I've not criticised Tim prior to this. Just thought he was out of line yesterday and incredibly naive.

No not at all. I think GB (not sure though) among a few others suggested that if TS is left in charge we'll end up with a team of Charlie Adams and other 'cloggers' based on his comments when that's clearly not what he's suggesting.

Back