• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Not picking on you specifically, but that's the difference between a fan view and a business view.

You DONT take a gamble on a 120M a year business

TS is not a gamble from a busines sense either? we dont lose money with his being in charge. our books are on the up and the new stadium will bring in even more revenue.

TS appointment is risk free from a money point of view, if hes **** Levy will just get rid in the summer and we start again. To me the gamble is from a sporting point - he should have been terrible and slipped us out of Europe all together and subsequently make us less appealing for new manager/new players plus current players staying

bit of a pointless comment but ill say it anyway. what does inexperience have to do with substitutions? as fans we have never managed the club so if we can see from our arm chair that subs need to be made surely so can the manager. there obviously a method to his madness - maybe, eriksen isnt as fit as he hopes or maybe he was poor in training this week or maybe etc etc etc. who knows. no job, business, sport etc is ever as basic as it seems from the outside

Inexperience influences decision making.

You're quite right. Stupidity will always come through no matter how much experience.

:lol: ;)

Not picking on you specifically, but that's the difference between a fan view and a business view.

How do you define "gamble" then?

Can you name some managerial appointments that wouldn't be gambles (either from a fan or business point of view)? I don't think there are any.

I also think that keeping AVB would have been a gamble, any decision (to some degree) is a gamble.

TS is not a gamble from a busines sense either? we dont lose money with his being in charge. our books are on the up and the new stadium will bring in even more revenue.

TS appointment is risk free from a money point of view, if hes **** Levy will just get rid in the summer and we start again.

You're ignoring opportunity cost, at least.

OK so yesterday was painful to watch -a culmination of all that has been bad about the Sherwood Era in one game. Sherwood has to take his fair share of the blame, as do the players.

Say what you might about AVB's style - it was too slow and methodical for this league. Sherwood must be applauded for trying to make the team more attack minded, albeit at the expense of being tight at the back.

Having proved you can succeed playing in an anti avb way, what I had hoped was we would get a bit more of a balanced approach from TS. I actually think in the 'wonky 442' we were playing initially we had the best formation to take us forward - one proper winger down one side, Erikssen down the other cutting in. what seems to have happened is that since Pauli has come back from injury, Tim has moved away from two in the centre to three to accommodate Pauli, Bentaleb and Capoue until he got injured.

I can't understand that central three - someone needs to sit in front of the def because time and again we have looked vulnerable there but Tim et al jsut can't accet this. Naturally that should be Sandro or Capoue. Dembele has to play in the centre for me driving forward as the box to box player - forget this mucking about on the wing. He and Sandro were are most effective CM partnership since Modric left, so let's get him back in there. Suck it up if you think you should be playing further forward - you've not proved anythin like as dangerous playing behind the striker, and others can play that role better than you.

If we have to accommodate Pauli then he has to be the one just behind the striker for me, though i would go with Eriksen to provide some spark of intelligence and mix it up. I don't see how Bentaleb fits in, except to play where Dembele should be playing - he's a great little passer / recycler of the ball but he doesn't have the physicality required of a pure holder/ destroyer that we are crying out for, or the playmaking ability to slice defences open with a cheeky wee pass.

I think this is the Sherwood 'nail in the coffin' - he did really well to bring him in and get the team passing quicker, but long term he is not yet the answer for a team pushing for CL qualification. Sherwood's trying to prove a point, and he has to a certain extent but he needs to go back to basics.

As a team we have never played well without some natural width being offered, so this insistence on our one proper winger, Lennon, cutting inside all the time, congesting the middle of the park is madness. AVB had this fixation as well, so it's not just Sherwoods issue, but we are definitely more dangerous when we can stretch teams.

What surprised me more than anything was that Tim did not go 442 yesterday against Norwich when he's already shown that 442 works. I don't buy that he was worried about the midfield being overrun - this is a Norwich team that have struggled for the last two months to get result - a well organised team I grant you - but we should have been putting them more on the back foot -Ade was lost most of the game without any effective support from anyone.

Crunch time for Tim now- we need to get a result againt Dnipro and then Cardiff otherwise we can pretty much say goodbye to the rest of the season - tall order for a not-so-experienced manager, with a team suffering from injuries and a lack of confidence / fight.

And the fact that (being a sports-based business), sporting results and financial results are intrinsically linked.

Something we agree on \o/

The higher we finish in the league the more money we are rewarded so to say that who our manager is doesn't impact us financially is naive.

I think we need to chill a little, yesterday was horrible, but the truth is that the only way Sherwood keeps his job is if we get forth, and if we do get forth then he deserves it. If not, ok we will get LVG and we can all dream of the title, untill he goes nuts and is sacked. Never lose hope because with out hope there is nothing left (especially relevant to being a spurs fan) ;)

In the space of 3 days, Sherwood has lost 2 of AVB's records : the unbeaten record in Europe this season and the excellent away league record in which we had not lost to any shyte team away under AVB. The only team outside top 6 we lost to away under AVB was Saudi Sportswashing Machine at the start of last season. In fact, the last time we lost to a shyte team away in the league was Wolves under Redknapp. AVB made us into a hard-to-beat team away. Other teams had started to be scared about facing us away. But now we have lost it by losing to Norwich. It will be very difficult to get back that good away record again. We miss AVB !

I'm still trying to get my head around Sherwood changing from an attacking up and at em style to recent performances.

Does anyone feel Sherwood moved away from the 442/442 wonky because of the amount of stick he got in the media for his simple tactics. "442 tim" and all the rest.
Maybe he felt he needed to prove himself? And now we've ended up with an uncreative 433.

In the space of 3 days, Sherwood has lost 2 of AVB's records : the unbeaten record in Europe this season and the excellent away league record in which we had not lost to any shyte team away under AVB. The only team outside top 6 we lost to away under AVB was Saudi Sportswashing Machine at the start of last season. In fact, the last time we lost to a shyte team away in the league was Wolves under Redknapp. AVB made us into a hard-to-beat team away. Other teams had started to be scared about facing us away. But now we have lost it by losing to Norwich. It will be very difficult to get back that good away record again. We miss AVB !

Is there not an "AVB is still the messiah" thread for this?

I think we need to chill a little, yesterday was horrible, but the truth is that the only way Sherwood keeps his job is if we get forth, and if we do get forth then he deserves it. If not, ok we will get LVG and we can all dream of the title, untill he goes nuts and is sacked. Never lose hope because with out hope there is nothing left (especially relevant to being a spurs fan) ;)

If Timmeh gets 4th then I agree he'll deserve the job. That doesn't mean that LvG or another very good manager isn't a better option though. Neither does it mean Levy won't go for said experienced manager.

One would argue that MAYBE (in hindsight) the gamble was appointing AVB in the first place? I whole-heartedly supported the appt and wanted him in, 100%, no historical revision on my part. But it is clear (in hindsight again) that Levy did not do the necessary due-diligence when it came to making sure the cobwebs of his recent Chelski past had been sufficiently brushed away. They quite clearly hadn't. I know there has been frustration within the club that perhaps warnings were ignored; he apparently gave an outrageously excellent presentation when interviewed. Everyone consistently ignores the fact that when the split came, AVB wanted out as much as the club wanted him out. It had come to a point of no return for everyone. So given that, you could argue that Levy ended up taking (short-term) the SAFEST decision possible by appointing short-term from within. Little turbulence, etc, etc…if he makes his change in the summer for a NON (name of note) then we will know why he did it.

I am interested to know what you think he should've done mate? Keeping AVB until the end of the season is not an option as again, we have to remember that he wanted out as well and would not have wanted to stay and fight for whatever reasons he had (I'm certainly not saying he might not have had good ones)...

If Timmeh gets 4th then I agree he'll deserve the job. That doesn't mean that LvG or another very good manager isn't a better option though. Neither does it mean Levy won't go for said experienced manager.

Can't really argue with that, but a question for you as business man, you appoint a manager from within (that you obviously get on with) he then achieves the goals that you set him under difficult circumstances. Do you then fire him if someone more qualified (but not proven with your staff, or in the specific market that you operate in) becomes available?

I would find it hard to do so.

Last edited:

I'm still trying to get my head around Sherwood changing from an attacking up and at em style to recent performances.

Does anyone feel Sherwood moved away from the 442/442 wonky because of the amount of stick he got in the media for his simple tactics. "442 tim" and all the rest.
Maybe he felt he needed to prove himself? And now we've ended up with an uncreative 433.

I don't think so and I do not think that the formation was the root of the problem yesterday. Sherwood played 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with the development squad. I think that 4-4-2 was a short sharp shock and he was always likely to revert back to his (and most modern managers') preferred formation.

Can't really argue with that, but a question for you as business man, you appoint a manager from within (that you obviously get on with) he then achieves the goals that you set him under difficult circumstances. Do you then fire him if someone more qualified (but not proven with your staff, or in the specific market that you operate in) becomes available?

I would find it hard to do so.

There's no room for sentimentality in business (in fact, there's very little room for it in life in general). If the other option is better on the balance of probability, take it.

There's no room for sentimentality in business (in fact, there's very little room for it in life in general). If the other option is better on the balance of probability, take it.

The question is how you make that judgement. What you base it upon. The way someone speaks for example is not a great indicator imo.

However, just look at Fulham. Backed a new boos, brought in a ton of coaches, but when a relegation avoidance manager became available, they were all sacked after very few games.

Sherwood or not, is a question of potential verses experience. Vigour and youthful determination to succeed weighed up against experience, seeing it all before. There would be no new Mangers if Chairmen didn't ever spot talent. But then Sherwood is learning on the job. He's done exceptionally well to come in mid season and get a team scoring again. But the honeymoon is over, now he has to prove his worth. It is his biggest test.

Snodgrass on 5 Live confirming how shocked Norwich were that we did not go for them in that first 45 minutes…it actually gets more pathetic the more I think about it…time to stop thinking about it and moving on!

Snodgrass on 5 Live confirming how shocked Norwich were that we did not go for them in that first 45 minutes…it actually gets more pathetic the more I think about it…time to stop thinking about it and moving on!

They had not conceded a goal at home in 3 games. Manc were held to a draw was it? It wasn't going to be an easy game. We had lots of half chances to score. But it was not good enough. We looked tired and had the problem we've had all season - we rely on individuals and don't work as an effective team. Our passing and shape is lacking and has been for sometime.

Probably why you are a more successfully business man than I.

Far to sentimental in business, and life for that matter

Last edited:

One would argue that MAYBE (in hindsight) the gamble was appointing AVB in the first place? I whole-heartedly supported the appt and wanted him in, 100%, no historical revision on my part. But it is clear (in hindsight again) that Levy did not do the necessary due-diligence when it came to making sure the cobwebs of his recent Chelski past had been sufficiently brushed away. They quite clearly hadn't. I know there has been frustration within the club that perhaps warnings were ignored; he apparently gave an outrageously excellent presentation when interviewed. Everyone consistently ignores the fact that when the split came, AVB wanted out as much as the club wanted him out. It had come to a point of no return for everyone. So given that, you could argue that Levy ended up taking (short-term) the SAFEST decision possible by appointing short-term from within. Little turbulence, etc, etc…if he makes his change in the summer for a NON (name of note) then we will know why he did it.

I am interested to know what you think he should've done mate?
Keeping AVB until the end of the season is not an option as again, we have to remember that he wanted out as well and would not have wanted to stay and fight for whatever reasons he had (I'm certainly not saying he might not have had good ones)...

My view, is he should have had a back up plan to AVB, that was not TS ..

The problem with TS is what happens if he loses the next two games, out of Europe and likely out of European spots, do you fire him then? then how much chaos have you caused.

The issue now is you have an interim manager without the interim title and it's starting to show.

Back