• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thomas Lemar

Mate you really need to stop reading comments from one or two people and attributing it to a whole or majority of a fan base! All your doing is building straw man arguments!

Of course there are going to be some who think that at every club, but at Arsenal it's a given that they all think that.

To be honest that wasn't even my point. My point was that financially Arsenal could spend more, whereas other clubs are actually on the limit already with their current dealings.

One or Two my arse, you need to get in the pubs before, after ( especially IF we lose) to hear them dig at Levy about not spending more money.

It was not my point about the Arse especially rather that some fans of ALL clubs think that way.

Ozil will sign a new contract imo - he'll be happy to coast along there with no pressure. Sanchez will be the one to leave

One or Two my arse, you need to get in the pubs before, after ( especially IF we lose) to hear them dig at Levy about not spending more money.

It was not my point about the Arse especially rather that some fans of ALL clubs think that way.

Fair play mate, I certainly don't get to the games as much as I'd like to living abroad now, but my group of close mates and the comments on here are the general "mood" I go by for Spurs fans. It sounds like that's a bIt different to "the word on the street" so fair enough.

In the interests of not eating up post after post mate, I put two of your replies together below and am answering in bold...

Im not arguing with any of that Steff, I and most Spurs fans would like to think that we are on an upward curve and Arsenal on the decline. But we dont know if either are correct after one season of us doing better than them.

I would argue that the curve of progression versus regression (when placed in context against what was expected of either side) shows that we have been doing better than them for three years. Season before last we lost the final game which handed them second place; let's be truthful, they were not the second-best team in the country, although that was a season they should've won the league. I never ever write them off because, as you said, they have strong recent history, but I am confident in saying we are in a better place overall.

Maybe you could make a case for players domestically fancying us ahead of them as they have seen the Poch effect up close. But abroad, the players see Arsenal playing CL year in year out and only getting knocked out to Bayern Munich, vs us playing in the Europa and not even coming close to winning the thing, whilst finishing below Arsenal in the league and seeing them lift domestic cups. Its going to take more than one year of us finising ahead of them - we need to show this wasn't a flash in the pan for players and especially French players whilst Wenger is there to consider playing for Spurs a more attractive option than Arsenal....

The truth is that European players (indeed players) generally don't view things in the same way that we do. If what you said was the case, Sanchez would not be leaving, Lewandoski would be forcing a move and Lacazette would've gone there last season. They are seen as a club that pays wages IMO, and even then not the top whack for London (mercenary footballers will always head to Cheslski if Chelski want them out of all capital clubs IMO)... note I speculated that would be 'mercenary' players or their agents; I do not believe all players are mercenaries i.e. Lloris, who reps himself and isn't, Alderweireld who might not rep himself but isn't chasing the biggest pay packet. French players will always have a soft spot for Arsenal, that's for sure, but in this very specific case I am fully prepared to again say that if the player does not come to us, it will be because he can make a lot more at L'Arse and we would not get into a wage-war.

...Absolutely, I just think its a bit early for us to be suggesting a player would only pick Arsenal vs us because of money (of course money is always a factor). They are by far a more established club than us in Europe, lets show again this season we are better domestically, and secure at the very least a knock out stage CL run then we can begin to establish ourselves as one of the bigger boys in Europe....

We are a club being run with a very, very clear policy, direction, structure and future. Look at the manager. The stadium. The nurtured/very early-doors-bought talent. The nucleus on long-term contracts. The way we actively promote from within. The philosophy. We are a very attractive, if not THE most attractive, prospect for any young player looking to step up and into a top side.

I look at Arsenal, and I am not blind, they have some great talent, they have history, they have won a few FA Cups recently. But what is the plan? Wenger has decided to stick around two more years, they seem to feel the need to appease fans with big money signings, they don't really develop young talent in the manner you'd expect them to given their size...they don't appear to have a direct philosophy right now. A player signing for them does not know what will be going on there in two years. Who will be manager? What is the plan? The only thing they do know is that they will get a fat packet of wonga. I am not necessarily knocking L'Arse for it. This is where they're at, and without CL football, they will have to sneak along the wage packet side of things and push their levels higher and higher in order to attract players.

The great thing for us is that we do not have to get involved in wage-wars because we can promote from within, develop our own and our manager knows he only wants and needs players who are prepared to buy in fully. Wenger doesn't have that luxury. He needs to do it now, and that means he has to pay over the odds. Trust me, if it goes tits up for them like it usually does in Spring, and if Lemar is there, he will suffer.

LEQUIP or whatever its called have said that we are preparing to make a bid ... or is it a Monaco mouthpiece to encourage arsenal to increase their bid

LEQUIP or whatever its called have said that we are preparing to make a bid ... or is it a Monaco mouthpiece to encourage arsenal to increase their bid

Most likely the latter. Arsenal are trying to lower the asking price with the leaking of their interest in Mahrez.

Fair play mate, I certainly don't get to the games as much as I'd like to living abroad now, but my group of close mates and the comments on here are the general "mood" I go by for Spurs fans. It sounds like that's a bIt different to "the word on the street" so fair enough.

People are desperate for new faces even if it may in the future rooster up a master plan

It's a big reason why our national side is suffering as teams are desperate to bring in player en masse even at the detriment to their own development players

The latter I would guess.
The L'Equipe reference that I saw was summarised as
"Spurs appear to be on the verge of making a bid...".
:)

Hypothetically.....We can make a bid for the transfer fee but could never get near the wage packet the player (and Arsenal ) can offer.
All just negotiation leverage.

Sounds like your friends are what i would call the sensible, realistic types ( like me :) and you), and usually the posters on here are a lot more realistic then those you get on some of the more hysterical sites.

Yeah - Ozil is older and nearly out of contract

But Monaco will want at least Bernardo Silva money for Lemar
Older, only a year left and on massive money and demanding more. All of that drives the price down. Personally I am hoping that Ozil signs a new deal at Arsenal (hopefully on the massive amount of money that he is asking for). If he goes then we risk them replacing him with somebody as good as Eriksen and them being vastly improved as a result.

Regarding the interesting discussion above and on the previous page(s) about whether a player would rather sign for Spurs or Arsenal....

Generally the only motivating factors for players signing contracts are "how much money will I earn" in first place, ahead of "which country and city will I be living in" in second place, a long, long way behind in their decision making

The statement "I want to leave for for a Champions League club" is used simply because they are the clubs that pay the most money. Additionally clubs that are in the Champions League regularly tend to have the highest exposure and therefore tend to equate to the player being able to achieve bigger personal sponsorship deals.

You can bet everything you have that if West Ham were paying £50k a week players £100k a week then they would get every single player they went for.

Do not be fooled by thinking that players look at anything other than their total wage packet when opting which club to sign for.

Back