• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2016-17

Thanks Yoof, couple of good runs with a good layoff, shame those guys failed to score from such good opportunities.

Lots of pretty easy stuff too, South Korea did not seem physically up to it

Thanks for that

A deep lying centre mid position is perfect for him, it's where he seems happiest and most effective. He can pick the right moments to surge forward.

Interesting comparison with Dembele in the tweet. Throughout his career Dembele has always been accused of being laid back and not fullfilling his true potential. Josh seems to have a similar temperament

That typical for Onomah
Did you actually watch the game? I missed most of the first but second half he was excellent. It's a shame this narrative is beginning to stick, because no question he has oodles of talent and whenever I've watched him he's mostly put in a shift.

If there is a criticism it is that he seldom stands out enough but you could never say that about his performance against Korea.

I still believe he will come good, problem is he's taking longer than expected to get there.

Did you actually watch the game? I missed most of the first but second half he was excellent. It's a shame this narrative is beginning to stick, because no question he has oodles of talent and whenever I've watched him he's mostly put in a shift.

If there is a criticism it is that he seldom stands out enough but you could never say that about his performance against Korea.

I still believe he will come good, problem is he's taking longer than expected to get there.

Yes he looked excellent against Korea.

He needs a few run outs in his proper position with the first team to make a proper assessment. We have been playing him out of position which obviously has worked against him. Stick him in beside Wanyama for a cup game or two and I suspect he will start to show us what Poch sees.

I thought he was in effective in the game against Argentina, but they were a good side who should never have lost that game. In the first half of the Korea game it was more of the same, but there was a big improvement in the second half. I've seen him since he was 17 and he has always looked a class player, but he seems to me that he has been unable to produce that level of performance as he's got older. It may be he's yet to find his role in the teams, he's never been a goal scorer and despite his size he's not very physical, he slows the game down too often. Obviously Poch sees something in him as he has shown confidence in him, I hope it's repaid.

No, but my reply was in relation to the comment about his performance in the previous game. I had a look at some of the Korea highlights which were posted on here - he looked better in the 1-2 mins which I watched though I would say that he did seem to have 20 yeards of space whenever he got the ball. Will always support someone in a Spurs shirt however with Onomah it feels like some people back him just because he's young, rather than because of anything he's achieved

No, but my reply was in relation to the comment about his performance in the previous game. I had a look at some of the Korea highlights which were posted on here - he looked better in the 1-2 mins which I watched though I would say that he did seem to have 20 yeards of space whenever he got the ball. Will always support someone in a Spurs shirt however with Onomah it feels like some people back him just because he's young, rather than because of anything he's achieved
Have watched him closely on a number of occasions in order to judge for myself how justified the criticisms of him are.

Don't know how far you go back but I remember getting tinkled off with Waddle in his first season with us. His body language often seemed that of someone who could not be arsed, but of course over time we came to realise just how deceptive it was.

I cling to the hope it'll turn out to be the same with Onomah.:rolleyes:

Good players find space, it's how you use it that counts. I really want to see the young man I saw a few years ago come good, he always seem off the pace when I've seen him this season.

There is some truth in that, having worked with academy players over the years the pressure to achieve put on them by some of their fans is difficult for some to handle. Fans of all clubs love to see " one of our own " players go to the top and the expectations placed on them by some fans is hard for them to live up to on occasions.

Over the years i have seen many young players ( including some here) struggle to live up to those expectations and fail to do so. Not saying this will be the case with Onomah ( personally i have not seen anything yet to suggest it will or not).

He could be a Dembele replacement if he learns to tackle and bulks up a bit, things that he can easily do. These U20 games have shown he's getting better at reading the play and he's positioning himself well most of the time.

There is some truth in that, having worked with academy players over the years the pressure to achieve put on them by some of their fans is difficult for some to handle. Fans of all clubs love to see " one of our own " players go to the top and the expectations placed on them by some fans is hard for them to live up to on occasions.

Over the years i have seen many young players ( including some here) struggle to live up to those expectations and fail to do so. Not saying this will be the case with Onomah ( personally i have not seen anything yet to suggest it will or not).

Agree expectation can be damaging, however I see no harm in nursing hope. But it can also go too far the other way. Both Kane and Rose were deemed unlikely to make it by many on this forum. And others who were also given a hard time seem mostly to be doing well elsewhere: Livermore (West Brom), Carroll (Swansea), Townsend (Palace), Mason (Hull, prior to injury) and Bentaleb (Schalke).

Tottenham academy product Jack Roles has confirmed that he has signed his first professional contract with the club.

The 18-year-old midfielder broke the news on Monday on his personal Instagram account that he has agreed to a deal with the Premier League side.

London-born Roles, who has represented Spurs at the under-18 level, posted a picture accompanied with a simple message where he is about to put pen-to-paper on a new deal.

“First professional contract,” said Roles whilst smiling at the camera.

Anyone know anything more about this kid?

England U20 currently 2-0 up (Lookman scored both) against Costa Rica in an U20 world cup qualifier. No sign of it on tv anywhere and bafflingly no sign of it on the FA site.

Anyone got a li-nk?

England U20 currently 2-0 up (Lookman scored both) against Costa Rica in an U20 world cup qualifier. No sign of it on tv anywhere and bafflingly no sign of it on the FA site.

Anyone got a li-nk?

Sent ...

Bit of an unfortunate time to tune in though as Onomah's just gone off, he had another strong game and with England comfortable he's being rested for the quarters. KWP has also been very good, one of the best games I've seen him have at LB.

I don't rate him quite as highly as most Spurs youth watchers but you can't argue against his goal scoring record, especially given he plays as a #10(and occasionally at CM). His biggest quality is his [seemingly unteachable] ability to arrive into the box at the right time to sniff out a chance and he also has solid technique in terms of striking the ball. After that though I don't think he brings a great deal more to the table and physically/athletically he lacks quite a bit. I'm surprised we've given him a three year deal but obviously they must like him, I'll be interested to see what deals others in his age group get as for me there are a few I would take ahead of Roles.

I don't rate him quite as highly as most Spurs youth watchers but you can't argue against his goal scoring record, especially given he plays as a #10(and occasionally at CM). His biggest quality is his [seemingly unteachable] ability to arrive into the box at the right time to sniff out a chance and he also has solid technique in terms of striking the ball. After that though I don't think he brings a great deal more to the table and physically/athletically he lacks quite a bit. I'm surprised we've given him a three year deal but obviously they must like him, I'll be interested to see what deals others in his age group get as for me there are a few I would take ahead of Roles.
That sounds quite positive, in that all we need to do is bulk him up in the gym?

As you say, that thing of being in the right place at the right time is quite instinctive and difficult (impossible?) to teach. Almost all other aspects of the game can be taught and improved. Maybe that's one of the reasons he's been given a contract.

So a 2-1 win puts England U20s into the quarter finals of the FIFA U20s World Cup tournament in South Korea. I gather we will now play the winner of tomorrow's tie, Mexico vs Senegal, on Monday 5th June but cannot as yet find the ko time or whether it is scheduled for tv coverage anywhere.

So another Dele in the pipeline then. :D

We can but hope. :rolleyes:

Back