• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Y word

just seen Baddiel defends Carr's right to make a joke about the holocaust.

But doesn't think it's right for us to chant yid as a banner of pride.

Just goes to show this is purely because it's Tottenham....
Ok, that is nuts!

I had respect for his intentions (not tactics) - not anymore.

"David Baddiel, David Badieeelll, David Baddiel
Is.
A.
Hypocrite."

You can joke about anything if you are not punching down.

Carr has a brilliant cancer joke for example.

I don’t think that makes Baddiel a hypocrite. I don’t think he’s made his case very well in sound bites, particularly around Spurs, but I’ve read his book and that does a far better job.

You can joke about anything if you are not punching down.

Carr has a brilliant cancer joke for example.

I don’t think that makes Baddiel a hypocrite. I don’t think he’s made his case very well in sound bites, particularly around Spurs, but I’ve read his book and that does a far better job.

You’ve read his book? Did you get a medal?

just seen Baddiel defends Carr's right to make a joke about the holocaust.

But doesn't think it's right for us to chant yid as a banner of pride.

Just goes to show this is purely because it's Tottenham....

There is a difference in paying to see a comedian renowned for being on the edge and going to a football game and hearing something you may find offensive, you can see that can’t you?

going to a football game and hearing something you may find offensive

Hearing offensive chanting has always been part of the football experience in my experience. How long before we are told to avoid chanting "the referee is a c... or a w..ker? Why not remove the tribal experience completely and let football become as "non offensive" as watching rugby. And remove those dangerous headers while you are at it....

Hearing offensive chanting has always been part of the football experience in my experience. How long before we are told to avoid chanting "the referee is a c... or a w..ker? Why not remove the tribal experience completely and let football become as "non offensive" as watching rugby. And remove those dangerous headers while you are at it....
Wait until our crowd of lovelies starts mis-gendering the opposition players... The Pronoun Police will be out in full force.

It’s a comparison between a punter at a racy comedy gig and someone who genuinely wants to watch a football match rather than be subjected to hate speech (which I’m not saying our use of yid is before anyone jumps at that). The idea that Baddiel can only be upset because he hates Spurs is not a rational argument in my opinion, even if he does come off as a bit of a bellend.

Edit - I appreciate the pushback, it’s natural to get defensive if one feels the way they communicate is being over policed. And also those who feel that it’s becoming too gentrified or family friendly, everyone’s got their own perspective at the end of the day. One bloke might be taking their young’un to the game for the first time and not want to them to hear racist / homophobic slurs and the other bloke might be a coked up taco who wants to feel better by screaming outdated obscenities.

Last edited:
The only chant I dislike hearing at WHL is the Sol Campbell chant, which is offensive and small-minded beyond belief. But I can't imagine match days at Spurs without hearing the shouts of "Yid Army" on the way from WHL to the ground, or people chanting Yiddo when we score a goal. Maybe "Spurs army" can replace Yid Army, but I see no possible reason why people shouldn't chant the word "Yiddo" in celebration of a goal or an exceptional piece of play from a favourite Spurs player.
Perhaps the "Yids, yids" chant deters Arab buyers...I do wonder if there is an economic subtext to all of this?

Perhaps the "Yids, yids" chant deters Arab buyers...I do wonder if there is an economic subtext to all of this?

Keep it up then if that's the case. The way oil countries are going to tank over the next decade, we're best a very long way clear from the epicentres of that. Hopefully City, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Chelsea are all major collateral of it though.

There is a difference in paying to see a comedian renowned for being on the edge and going to a football game and hearing something you may find offensive, you can see that can’t you?

There’s a difference between the two but the results the same.

It’s not just people who paid to hear Jimmy Carr who heard his jokes, but people eating their cornflakes in the morning, watching the news, only to be confronted with jokes about their race being murdered in the Holocaust. In fact, more people heard about this then anyone heard Tottenham fans chanting ‘yids’. It received much more widespread coverage and I would bet my life it offended more people than we did.

Seems strange that joking about the deaths of thousands of gypsies = ok according to David Baddiel

But shouting ‘yids’ as a badge of pride to show your not ashamed of being labelled Jewish is apparently the equivalent of shouting the N-word at a black person - according to David Badddiel

it’s also funny I never have actually heard David Baddiel condemning gas chamber chants, hitler salutes, Anti-Semitic chants and anything else directed at us. His focus is always on us saying the word ‘yid’ rather than his own fans and West Ham fans chanting ‘hitlers gonna gas them again’

Even if the unthinkable happened and Spurs fans over night stopped chanting yid. No one at all chanted it and 5 years later Chelsea play Tottenham

you seriously think it would stop antisemetic chanting in its tracks?

of course it bloody wouldn’t, they’d chant it anyway.

so in that moment do we shake our heads and say ‘we’re not Jewish’

or do we own it as if to say who gives a fudge anyway? We’re proud of who we are?

seems the correct answer is to shake our heads, condemn it, as of being Jewish is something to be ashamed off

Last edited:
Heard a bloke in The Marketplace yesterday chanting:

“Being a Jew,
Being a Jew,
The thing I love most is being a Jew.”

A few others then joined in.

Probably not the outcome the club were after.

Heard a bloke in The Marketplace yesterday chanting:

“Being a Jew,
Being a Jew,
The thing I love most is being a Jew.”

A few others then joined in.

Probably not the outcome the club were after.
Think you misheard, it was a sarcastic chant... "I'm in the queue, in the queue, the thing I love most is being in the queue. "

for me, its like mask wearing, its not about what the individual gets from it, its about not hurting others

I won't use it

Back