• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The worst ever season

Worst season in recent times

• 2013-14

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • 2003-04

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 2002-03

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1997-98

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 1996-97

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 1993-94

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 1991-92

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
Have heard many Spurs fans claim that this is the worst season ever so lets put it to poll!

I think this has been the most BORING season in recent times as proved by the lowest number of average goals scored per home game in a decade.

Could go back forever I guess but I have included the years I can remember in the last 25 years of supporting Spurs.

A few contenders:
2013-14: Bale gone, dour football under AVB, dour and clueless football under Sherwood; 3 defeats to l'**** without a goal and 2 home defeats to Spammers plus spankings v Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea.

2003-04: Hoddle sacked in September; despite promises of a new world class manager we endured Pleat as caretaker for 8 months. Only avoided relegation in April; Goons won title at WHL; surrendering 3-0 lead v 10 men Emirates Marketing Project to lose 4-3 in cup; circus defending with Keller, Gardner and Doc.

2002-03: After a bright start under Hod things went very flat after xmas; horrendous 0-4 defeat at Southampton in FA Cup; midfield of Poyet, Anderton and Toda with Doc up front. Culminated in nauseating 4-0 home defeat to Blackburn on final day of season and set scene of unrest for Hod.

1997-98: Francis sacked and replaced by Gross who lost 1-6 v Chelsea and 0-4 at Coventry in opening 2 games. We avoided relegation by a Klinsmann inspired 4 goal performance at Wimbledon. Goons won double.

1996-97: Kind of summed up our mediocrity of the time; regular midfield of Dozzell, Howells, Sinton and Fox; our top scorer was Teddy with 8; lost 1-6 at Bolton and 1-7 at Saudi Sportswashing Machine as things derailed pretty quickly for Francis; Teddy left at end of season. Drifted around mid table nearly all season.

1993-94: With Teddy injured in October we struggled big time only securing safety in the penultimate game of the season at Oldham; went about 12 games without a win and signed Rosenthal and Kevin Scott on tfr deadline day.

1991-92: After the euphoria of winning the FA Cup things got very sour; no Gazza and little spark. Aside from Lineker's goals there was little to shout about and we were knocked out of the FA Cup at 1st hurdle.

Last edited:
Re: The worst ever seaspn

I wouldn't say this was the worst season, just most disappointing overall. We were due one I guess.

Out of the ones you listed I picked 97/98. Having Christian Gross as Manager was poor, IIRC without the second coming of Klinsmann I am sure we would have gone down.

Had it been the worst in my lifetime it would have to be 76/77 'Relegation season', we were just, well, abysmal

Agree with OP with both the OP and Rossi, it has been vastly disappointing, purely, for me, because we have been boring, we just havent looked like Spurs, bar the odd too-rare performance

Last edited:

For all the trials & tribulations this season has brought, there's still a sporting chance we'll end-up with a new club record Premier League points haul of 74.

Strange days indeed.

Worst season ? These fans must have been born yesterday, getting 'spoilt' with our form to stay in top 10, just look at the 90s.

In terms of entertainment, of recent seasons, say last 5 years, then yes most probably. But this just smacks of short termism, which is the norm in this day and age. Sad.

Worst season ? These fans must have been born yesterday, getting 'spoilt' with our form to stay in top 10, just look at the 90s.

In terms of entertainment, of recent seasons, say last 5 years, then yes most probably. But this just smacks of short termism, which is the norm in this day and age. Sad.

Spot on.

Apart from anything else, when was the last time we won nine or more League games away from home?

This season has a lot of parallels with 03-04 for me. I'm not sure I could really separate them as the two most depressing ones of the last 25 years.

The thing that makes them stand out is that it's the hope that kills you.

In summer 2003 Keane had just had a great debut season and also we'd bought in Kanoute, Postiga and Zamora to refresh our front line, along with the creative force of Dalmat. Similar hopes as the Beatles signings brought us this summer. But Levy lost patience before Hoddle had a chance to settle them in and we ended up limping through the season with a crap caretaker.

Whilst this season has been disappointing, like GB says it is more because of the hope rather than rank mediocrity.
We should remember that with all the pastings vs the to 4 and dull performances we still have very good structures in place. Once an experienced manager is in place who can manage a squad and has a strategy to work with we will be in good condition to challenge again.

Just think how we were in the mid-90s when we had 2 relegation scrapes and we usually finished around 10th/11th and hardly won any away games. We've move on a lot and whilst the hope of the pre-season has made what's happened hard to bear, it is nowhere near as bad as some of the choices listed.

My vote was for 1991-92: we were boring to watch mostly and without Gazza and having just won the FA Cup this season was such a sea of mediocrity. At least we had Gazza in the previous years to watch. GHod knows what would have happened if Lineker wasn't playing for us that year.

For the amount of money spend on new players and the high expectations that came with it, surely this season has been our worst ever season in the PL era. Don't understand how people can vote 1997/98 season as the worst when we had a shyte team and an unknown manager that season. Apart from Ginola, Campbell, the past-his-best Klinsmann and maybe Carr, we had no decent player in that squad.

Out of the ones you listed I picked 97/98. Having Christian Gross as Manager was poor, IIRC without the second coming of Klinsmann I am sure we would have gone down.

Had it been the worst in my lifetime it would have to be 76/77 'Relegation season', we were just, well, abysmal

It really was horrible on the pitch and off it, I can understand people being disappointed this year, but honestly,whilst it has been tedious to watch we've had it good compared to the relegation season and most of the 1990's

Nail hit on head

The thing with the late 1990s is that, we were just a Cup team and had no high expectations in the league, so we could really enjoy the matches more. And we had a master entertainer in Ginola ! I really enjoyed watching Ginola play during the 3 seasons he was at Spurs, 1997-2000, regardless of our results. I think Ginola had his best ever season in English football in 1997/98, scoring 9 goals in total. For that, will always look back at that season positively.

i had the pleasure of watching Nethercott, Scott, Dozzell, Calderwood, Cundy & Gray...them were some turgid times.

This season has a lot of parallels with 03-04 for me. I'm not sure I could really separate them as the two most depressing ones of the last 25 years.

The thing that makes them stand out is that it's the hope that kills you.

In summer 2003 Keane had just had a great debut season and also we'd bought in Kanoute, Postiga and Zamora to refresh our front line, along with the creative force of Dalmat. Similar hopes as the Beatles signings brought us this summer. But Levy lost patience before Hoddle had a chance to settle them in and we ended up limping through the season with a crap caretaker.

Signing new players doesn't make you exempt from the sack. We looked absolutely hopeless under Hoddle that season and a tonking at home to Southampton was the last straw.

it's the expectation that's done for me, yes we were worse in those seasons, but we were what we were and and got what we expected and deserved

this season has come as a shock, I expected us to continue to improve, and looking at how everyone else has had a bad season all we had to do was not get worse and we'd have won the bloody thing

It really was horrible on the pitch and off it, I can understand people being disappointed this year, but honestly,whilst it has been tedious to watch we've had it good compared to the relegation season and most of the 1990's

Too right.

As a young teen at the time, I took the oppurtunity to get the train to Manchester and watch Tottenham in the flesh for the first time that season...a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Emirates Marketing Project (sounds familiar...) made worse by being stuck in the Kippax with all the City fans.
Barry Daines,Jimmy Holmes,Neil McNab, Chris Jones :eek:

93/94 i think.....it started really well iirc, after about 8--10 games we were in the top 5. I think we beat Everton at home 3-2 with a Darren Caskey last minute winner, Teddy was on fire and leading the goalscoring charts and then he suffered a serious knee injury. After that i dont think we won a league game for another 2 months, at one point lost 7 or 8 on the trot an only survived staying in the PL with that victory at Oldham in the penultimate game of the season:( torrid times

Back