• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

I don't rate Madisson as much as people think. I think he would be a good squad player. I don't think he is a top tier consistent creative player.
I was getting at this a bit earlier. You can love Maddison (and his early season form was fantastic), but we should always be looking to upgrade where we can. If the new signing pushes Maddison to improve and keep his place then so be it, but don't go round looking specifically for 'back-ups'

Neither Davies nor Royal have looked comfortable at fullback in this system and both represent massive drop offs from the first team.

2 may be wishful thinking but I'd be shocked if we didn't sign at least one player as backup/competition who could play both LB and RB.

In attack we look like we're adjusting to Ange's system more and more as time goes on, you only have to look at the type of goals that we're scoring (cutbacks to the striker, wingers coming in from the back post). It's not clear that we need to sign a CF to keep improving in the short term.

You are of course right that we need a striker at some point and in an ideal world that would be asap, but I would be shocked to see us to blow what will likely be a vast proportion of this summer's budget on one player when our squad is so demonstrably lacking.
You're kind of making two points there, one of which I agree with, the other not so much.

Our need for better depth is clear and I don't doubt the Italian non sporting director is working on that post haste.

What you then say is relating to budget, namely that we will spend a big proportion of our transfer cash on a forward. I'd argue that we have shown clearly that spending big is not necessary with the talent in our scouting network and the reputation we now have.

I expect we will sign a vicario style player who has the numbers to show he will succeed if not the elevated price tag brought about by social media exposure etc.

Neither Davies nor Royal have looked comfortable at fullback in this system and both represent massive drop offs from the first team.

2 may be wishful thinking but I'd be shocked if we didn't sign at least one player as backup/competition who could play both LB and RB.

In attack we look like we're adjusting to Ange's system more and more as time goes on, you only have to look at the type of goals that we're scoring (cutbacks to the striker, wingers coming in from the back post). It's not clear that we need to sign a CF to keep improving in the short term.

You are of course right that we need a striker at some point and in an ideal world that would be asap, but I would be shocked to see us to blow what will likely be a vast proportion of this summer's budget on one player when our squad is so demonstrably lacking.
We def need a CF or a change up front IMHO. Our efficiency in attack is quite low.

Our goals scored is closer to the top 3, than our goals conceded. It also feels like we've dropped more points through conceding crap goals, rather than not being able to score?
I’d rather waste 10 chances to score 2 than concede with the only chances we have against us which is really what happens

Our goals scored is closer to the top 3, than our goals conceded. It also feels like we've dropped more points through conceding crap goals, rather than not being able to score?
The way we are setup to play favours greater attacking results. I am not saying our defence hasn't conceded silly goals however I am sure there are matches where we have failed to convert a lot of chances despite having more of the ball in the opponent's half.

But no one thinks we can improve on our back 5. Is it as simple as a new No.6 instead of Bissouma?
I think in part it's good to remember three of the five are in their first PL season and one other only has an extra 6 months.
And then our 3rd choice CB has been here two minutes. And our back up FBs are a complete style change.

There isn't a big issue to fix. Training and experience will improve it - the foundations are solid.
Bissouma is a question mark unfortunately.

The maddison we are seeing now is more the maddison I expected, early form was a purple patch.
He has the talent, I question his consistency.

I have to agree with that, he has been talked about for several seasons about how good/great he is but he never really has the consistancy to become a really great player. Hope Ange can sort that part of his game out because he does have the talent.

One person involved in those training sessions is coach Mile Jedinak, who works on Spurs' set pieces and organisation alongside fellow defensive coach Matt Wells. Van de Ven was asked about the Australian and said that the 39-year-old former Aston Villa midfielder having only retired from playing four years ago means he still brings his quality to the training pitch.

"Mile most of the time is also with the defenders with Wellsy, the other assistant trainer. Mile is a top guy, of course he had a great career. He was also the captain for Australia but in our team he's also really important with the set pieces, with also every day on the pitch he's keeping us sharp and he keeps us ready every day. Off the pitch he's a really nice guy, he's a top guy," said the centre-back.

"It's really good to work with him because even when we're training he can bring us to the highest level, even if we have to defend and he has to cross balls in, even then we have to be at the highest level because Mile still can play. So he always reaches in training the high level, so we need to be top every time. On and off the pitch he helps us a lot."

Back