• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

IMO, we need to be prepared to drop serious coin in the summer if we want to upgrade our front three this summer. If it means dropping £70m+ to secure a top class forward then so be it. Not saying we should exclusively look at expensive players and not also look for a bargain/look at less high profile options, but we went through a lot of upheaval to build the new stadium so we could compete financially with the big boys, Liverpool spent similar amounts of Van Dijk and Alison and it took them to the next level. Arsenal spent £100m on Rice.
I doubt it's a priority. We need as a priority:
- Two full backs
- DM
- Left-footed left winger

Then:
- CB (Phillips?)
- Right winger (with kulu deputising for maddison)

Then we could look at further competition at:
- AM (replacement for GLC/competition for maddison/kulu - Devine?)
- CM (competition/upgrade on bentancur/sarr - Bergvall?)
- Striker (competition/upgrade/long-term replacement for Son/richarlison)

With all of those improvements needed, the vast expenditure required for the right striker seems doubtful this summer (especially considering the quality of son/richarlison)

Perhaps next summer when son is another year older and we've sorted the rest of the squad through a combination of new signings and the development of players like Phillips, devine, and Bergvall

Obviously if the right player becomes available due to FFP etc I wouldn't say no but we have a hell of a lot of work to do in other areas

- Two full backs
- DM

Then:
- CB (Phillips?)

With all of those improvements needed, the vast expenditure required for the right striker seems doubtful this summer (especially considering the quality of son/richarlison)

Perhaps next summer when son is another year older and we've sorted the rest of the squad through a combination of new signings and the development of players like Phillips, devine, and Bergvall

Obviously if the right player becomes available due to FFP etc I wouldn't say no but we have a hell of a lot of work to do in other areas

GK too. Unless Josh Keeley is ready for some early round cup games.

- Two full backs
- DM

Then:
- CB (Phillips?)

Being in the CL and the HG quota I see that playing a part, likely to see a mix of youth promoted to first team ranks (as outlined in clubs plans). Youth joining like the lad Bergvall and then strategic signings that improve either the first team and depth.

This summer will see a mixed bag and I am fine with it, I fully expect added quality for first team whilst improving depth (that also comes from people being pushed down the order).

Bergvall and a fully expectant Werner signing for me and then what follows. Talk of someone top quality up top is one I think we will see happen BUT if thats a striker OR someone that plays along the line, we will have to see. Given Ange previous comments I assume someone who can adapt

- Two full backs
- DM

Then:
- CB (Phillips?)

I very much doubt we are going to sign two fullbacks in preference to a goalscorer. We have two very good fullbacks in Udogie and Porro, two very solid back ups in Royal and Davies and there's still the prospect of Spence sorting himself out.

What's more significant though is Ange's language when discussing the team. He's consistently said that up top is where the issues lie in terms of progressing to the next level of performance. To that end, reading between the lines you are probably right about the left footed left winger, but the rest will all drop behind the central striker role we need a new player for.

Richi is good, Scarlett and Parrott are up and comers, Son can do a good job, but we need a senior forward whose strengths are in finishing and speed. Defoe would have been the perfect forward for Ange - which is why I don't see Toney as being the answer for us - I think he'd get left behind.

I very much doubt we are going to sign two fullbacks in preference to a goalscorer. We have two very good fullbacks in Udogie and Porro, two very solid back ups in Royal and Davies and there's still the prospect of Spence sorting himself out.

What's more significant though is Ange's language when discussing the team. He's consistently said that up top is where the issues lie in terms of progressing to the next level of performance. To that end, reading between the lines you are probably right about the left footed left winger, but the rest will all drop behind the central striker role we need a new player for.

Richi is good, Scarlett and Parrott are up and comers, Son can do a good job, but we need a senior forward whose strengths are in finishing and speed. Defoe would have been the perfect forward for Ange - which is why I don't see Toney as being the answer for us - I think he'd get left behind.
Neither Davies nor Royal have looked comfortable at fullback in this system and both represent massive drop offs from the first team.

2 may be wishful thinking but I'd be shocked if we didn't sign at least one player as backup/competition who could play both LB and RB.

In attack we look like we're adjusting to Ange's system more and more as time goes on, you only have to look at the type of goals that we're scoring (cutbacks to the striker, wingers coming in from the back post). It's not clear that we need to sign a CF to keep improving in the short term.

You are of course right that we need a striker at some point and in an ideal world that would be asap, but I would be shocked to see us to blow what will likely be a vast proportion of this summer's budget on one player when our squad is so demonstrably lacking.

Neither Davies nor Royal have looked comfortable at fullback in this system and both represent massive drop offs from the first team.

2 may be wishful thinking but I'd be shocked if we didn't sign at least one player as backup/competition who could play both LB and RB.

In attack we look like we're adjusting to Ange's system more and more as time goes on, you only have to look at the type of goals that we're scoring (cutbacks to the striker, wingers coming in from the back post). It's not clear that we need to sign a CF to keep improving in the short term.

You are of course right that we need a striker at some point and in an ideal world that would be asap, but I would be shocked to see us to blow what will likely be a vast proportion of this summer's budget on one player when our squad is so demonstrably lacking.

Yeah - our system completely breaks down when either first choice FB are missing. The other two are top defenders, but they don't suit this system at all. Two back-up FBs should be our absolute priority.

Yeah - our system completely breaks down when either first choice FB are missing. The other two are top defenders, but they don't suit this system at all. Two back-up FBs should be our absolute priority.
Do you not think we should try amd improve on Udogie or Porro? Seems a bit defeatist to be buying inferior players on purpose. Shouldn't we be trying to constantly improve the first 11?

Do you not think we should try amd improve on Udogie or Porro? Seems a bit defeatist to be buying inferior players on purpose. Shouldn't we be trying to constantly improve the first 11?

I think Udogie is the best LB in the world and I've not particularly spotted a RB who stands-out who would thrive in our system any more than Porro.

I think we've got our new Walker and Rose, who will lock out those positions for the rest of this decade, and now we need to find reasonably price, effective and ideally homegrown back-ups (a Trippier and Davies, but who fit the system).

I think Udogie is the best LB in the world and I've not particularly spotted a RB who stands-out who would thrive in our system any more than Porro.

I think we've got our new Walker and Rose, who will lock out those positions for the rest of this decade, and now we need to find reasonably price, effective and ideally homegrown back-ups (a Trippier and Davies, but who fit the system).
Dennis cirkin

Fair enough, What are your thoughts on Romero and VDV? Are they upgradeable or are you happy with the whole back 5?

Fair enough, What are your thoughts on Romero and VDV? Are they upgradeable or are you happy with the whole back 5?

Very happy with the whole back 5. Let them be the bedrock of our team for the next 5 years.

It's the back-up back 5, other than Dragusin, that are a real concern.

We really need a target man. Son is not that person. The player closest to one is Richie. Veliz and Scarlett still need development. If we could stumble into another Berbatov, that would be nice.

We really need a target man. Son is not that person. The player closest to one is Richie. Veliz and Scarlett still need development. If we could stumble into another Berbatov, that would be nice.
That Moroccan kid playing in Belgium or someone like that. We need to trust our scouts and also accept they won't all work out and that some will need time.

- Two full backs
- DM

Then:
- CB (Phillips?)

As others have said

- I'd see one FB change, not two (priorities), being brutal we can probably monetize Royal more than Davies but it may just come down to who is available to bring in (would not expect a lot of spend here)
- DM is the main one for me, spend the most here, the midfield simply has to protect the back line more, we need to cut >15 GA out to be in line with top 3, GF is fine

I think there is a requirement for more goals in team
- That could be a goal scoring winger, it could be a midfielder contributing more, it could be a new striker

- We need a Maddison cover/competition
- Ange has already mentioned we will look at a CB (cover is too thin)

Those are the priorities, I'd expect the club to continue to invest in the next Sarr/Udogie/Bergvall types, loans, etc.

A separate point is the development of players, e.g. how far do Sarr, Porro, Udogie, VDV, Johnson, Deki & Bentancur develop from here

Back