• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

Absolutely shocking statements both of them.

What did either of you think about Modric and his performances before our poor run started and we dropped from 3rd to 5th?

Errr, he was good up to that point, but dire thereafter?

Which is the definition of unreliable - so, what's your melodramatic "absolutely shocking statements" flimflam all about?

Modric has done sweet fudge all to arrest the slide in form, so he's just as culpable as any of the rest of them who are forced to take the flak/blame/spacegoat routine. No point being amazing when the sun is shining if, when we're struggling, you're dogbrick. That's when you need your quality to shrug it off and rise about it; be the inspiration and the game-changer.

Happily sell him for someone more consistent and reliable; a season is 38 games long, not 10 when you feel like it.

Which is the definition of unreliable - so, what's your melodramatic "absolutely shocking statements" flimflam all about?

Modric has done sweet fudge all to arrest the slide in form, so he's just as culpable as any of the rest of them who are forced to take the flak/blame/spacegoat routine. No point being amazing when the sun is shining if, when we're struggling, you're dogbrick. That's when you need your quality to shrug it off and rise about it; be the inspiration and the game-changer.

Happily sell him for someone more consistent and reliable; a season is 38 games long, not 10 when you feel like it.

I have absolutely no problem with the sentiment of your post but do you have any confidence that between them Harry and Levy have any hope of signing a suitable replacement? I'm not one of those who screams for big money transfers or the arrival of 'name brand' players. I take more pride in the unearthing of a gem or an underrated talent. Yet given Harry's time at Spurs I have no faith whatsoever that he has the capability of bringing in such players. I jest with the David Dunn comment but that is essentially what he has been doing (Sandro and Walker aside). So it may well be in our interest to cling unto Modric as tightly as possible. :-k

I have absolutely no problem with the sentiment of your post but do you have any confidence that between them Harry and Levy have any hope of signing a suitable replacement? I'm not one of those who screams for big money transfers or the arrival of 'name brand' players. I take more pride in the unearthing of a gem or an underrated talent. Yet given Harry's time at Spurs I have no faith whatsoever that he has the capability of bringing in such players. I jest with the David Dunn comment but that is essentially what he has been doing (Sandro and Walker aside). So it may well be in our interest to cling unto Modric as tightly as possible. :-k

It isn't always the fault of Levy and/or Harry that we don't get players.

At the end of the day, we could chase Player X for months and months - but we can't force him to sign for us, can we? Of course we'd all want them to but, if you're a footballer, then - in this day and age - it's all about who pays the most. I don't begrudge them a single penny, because - just like the rest of society - you always wanna earn more for doing your job.

Harry ain't as stupid as he lets on; you don't get to where he has in the game by being thick as brick - and it's more fool those who honestly fall for his facade. He knows plenty of players, and he surrounds himself with a network of colleagues whom he can bounce opinions off - quite a usual management structure to be honest. He'll have ideas and targets scoped out, don't you worry about that.

As for Levy, first and foremost, he's there to run Tottenham Hotspur as a business. That's his bread and butter. He's not in the game of tinkling money up the wall, because he knows that the risks are just too great. I'm glad no internet fan runs Spurs, as we'd be bankrupt tomorrow and tinkling around in the Championship. The bottom line, is that we have to live within our means - and that means that there will come a time when - no matter how much we all might want a player - we simply cannot afford it. Those who say 'gamble' are reckless and poor with money.

Harry knows Modric wanted/wants to leave. Some of you are so taken in by Harry's facade, that you probably think Harry just sits there twiddling his thumbs all day long, waiting for it to happen :lol: Get real. He'll have plans in place; replacements earmarked, but - as I said - it's NOT just a simple case of 'right Modric goes...so we ergo go and sign Player X'. Only wish it was.

"Good". No more? He was just good? Really? Not even a little tiny little "very" in there?

You call me melodramatic while you use expressions like "has done sweeet fudge all", "dogbrick" and "dire," I'm guessing you can handle some harshly worded statements. I disagree completely that he has been any of those or anything even near it. If only more of our player showed for the ball like he did, or tried moving into space like he did, or tried making attacking passes things would have been better.

What is more is that he is one of our players that never shirks his defensive duties, will always get himself back in position and although he's not a vocal leader he will never hide or stand around where no one can pass the ball to him. He is one of the players in our squad that has played the most games this season, Harry even said about him in the Christmas period where he was one of the few players that wasn't rotated that Modric had told him he had never been that tired before in his life. He ran himself into the ground for our team, and for that matter never stopped running. That is not unreliable.

You seem to indicate that none or almost none of our players have done enough or anything at all during our slide. So the solution would be to sell one of our best players, one of our key players cause then we would all of a sudden as a team not experience bad periods. I don't see how one follows the other.

I'm sticking with absolutely shocking and I don't think it's melodramatic. Your exaggerations like "10 when you feel like it" only supports my point.

I don't disagree with what you say and i'm not taken in by Harry's words, I pay no attention to them nor the irrelevant press speculation re who we may or may not sign. I instead base it purely off what actually happens, who we do sign, or the gaps in the squad we do not fill. I also agree wholeheartedly that as a club I am content to live within our means hence my comment about "big money transfers".

The issue is that I do not trust Harry in the window. He is yet to demonstrate any nous for transfers ahead of the curve, his signings have been much the opposite sadly. He either lacks the foresight or the balls to take the risks a club like Spurs need to be taking.

Will this change this coming window? I wont hold my breathe.

"Good". No more? He was just good? Really? Not even a little tiny little "very" in there?

You call me melodramatic while you use expressions like "has done sweeet fudge all", "dogbrick" and "dire," I'm guessing you can handle some harshly worded statements. I disagree completely that he has been any of those or anything even near it. If only more of our player showed for the ball like he did, or tried moving into space like he did, or tried making attacking passes things would have been better.

What is more is that he is one of our players that never shirks his defensive duties, will always get himself back in position and although he's not a vocal leader he will never hide or stand around where no one can pass the ball to him. He is one of the players in our squad that has played the most games this season, Harry even said about him in the Christmas period where he was one of the few players that wasn't rotated that Modric had told him he had never been that tired before in his life. He ran himself into the ground for our team, and for that matter never stopped running. That is not unreliable.

You seem to indicate that none or almost none of our players have done enough or anything at all during our slide. So the solution would be to sell one of our best players, one of our key players cause then we would all of a sudden as a team not experience bad periods. I don't see how one follows the other.

I'm sticking with absolutely shocking and I don't think it's melodramatic. Your exaggerations like "10 when you feel like it" only supports my point.

We can all make hay when the sun is shining; it's when the chips are down that you REALLY discover the talent and bottle of your so-called best players. Where's Modric been when we've been in the brick? He goes missing. No point ignoring that fact, just because he was wonderful earlier on in the season - so were the rest of um!

If he's such an established player; one supposedly coveted enough to be "worth ?ú40m+" then he's gotta be the sort of player who, when times are tough, digs deeper and pulls the team up by its bootstraps. Otherwise, he's just as run-of-the-mill as any other Premierleague midfielder. Seriously great footballers are game-changers and form-changers; Modric isn't in that bracket. Modric's form is one which is highly confidence based; confidence of those around him. I'm sorry, but the big players - the really BIG players - don't need to rely on what those around them are doing in order to establish themselves in games.

I'd sell him for ?ú40m in a heart beat; if someone wants to buy average for ?ú40m - then sign me up, because that's one hell of a rip-off - talk about winning the lottery. How much do you think Modric is 'worth' in the transfer market this summer, taking as a benchmark the fact Chelsea bid ?ú40m for him last summer? Without any shadow of a doubt, it's going to be less - much, much less.

PS: My expressions are used to convey impact. I could very easily tinkle about using less direct phrasing, but it doesn't have the impact I think it deserves. I do think he's been dogbrick, I do think he's done sweet fudge all and I do think his form has been dire - just like the rest of them. But, he's an established player in our team, and the responsibility lies with him to rise above the collective lack of form and to influence games on his own metal. He doesn't do it; he can't do it = average.

We can all make hay when the sun is shining; it's when the chips are down that you REALLY discover the talent and bottle of your so-called best players. Where's Modric been when we've been in the brick? He goes missing. No point ignoring that fact, just because he was wonderful earlier on in the season - so were the rest of um!

If he's such an established player; one supposedly coveted enough to be "worth ?ú40m+" then he's gotta be the sort of player who, when times are tough, digs deeper and pulls the team up by its bootstraps. Otherwise, he's just as run-of-the-mill as any other Premierleague midfielder. Seriously great footballers are game-changers and form-changers; Modric isn't in that bracket. Modric's form is one which is highly confidence based; confidence of those around him. I'm sorry, but the big players - the really BIG players - don't need to rely on what those around them are doing in order to establish themselves in games.

I'd sell him for ?ú40m in a heart beat; if someone wants to buy average for ?ú40m - then sign me up, because that's one hell of a rip-off - talk about winning the lottery. How much do you think Modric is 'worth' in the transfer market this summer, taking as a benchmark the fact Chelsea bid ?ú40m for him last summer? Without any shadow of a doubt, it's going to be less - much, much less.

PS: My expressions are used to convey impact. I could very easily tinkle about using less direct phrasing, but it doesn't have the impact I think it deserves. I do think he's been dogbrick, I do think he's done sweet fudge all and I do think his form has been dire - just like the rest of them. But, he's an established player in our team, and the responsibility lies with him to rise above the collective lack of form and to influence games on his own metal. He doesn't do it; he can't do it = average.

Shocking again. Even if I accepted that he is just a fair weather player, something I don't, his abilities when we play well puts him well above any average PL midfielder.

Almost all players in the world have poor runs. This false dichotomy that a player is either some super hero-player who manages to pull a team up by it's bootstraps even at the worst of times or he is run-of-the-mill makes no sense. There has to be a sliding scale between the two. There are very few players that on their own turn around the fortunes of a team that is struggling, especially when there seems to be managerial problems as well. I think this glorified image of a single hero pulling his team mates out of the mud is disconnected from reality.

A quick look at some of the most lauded leaders and players in the PL.

Terry - What did he do when Chelsea struggled under AVB? Never mind AVB, how about the many other managers Chelsea have struggled under? Same for Lampard.
Gerrard - What has he done to pull Liverpool out of the mud, first under Benitez, then under Hodgson, now under Daglish. Consistently failing to change their fortunes.
Rooney - Does well for United, but had a poor run that extended about the length of a season not that long ago. And why isn't he able to pull England out of the mud? (Same argument for the previous players) "to be "worth ?ú40m+" then he's gotta be the sort of player who, when times are tough, digs deeper and pulls the team up by its bootstraps"
Silva - Although not a leader, by many ranked as one of the very best players in the league and the best player at City earlier this season. Where was he when their poor run set in? What bootstraps did he pull? Is he now just a run-of-the-mill player?

Teams pull themselves out of the mud, teams get back on their feet, teams pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That includes the manager, the players and the coaching staff. Look at the teams that do consistently well and generally without extended poor runs. None of them do it because of one player. They do it because they have a team, with a solid system, with a manager that leads them, with a squad where no single player is expected to change it all, where they have many very good players.

That's what we need, more good players. Or if we can get them, more excellent players like Modric. So that when our team doesn't function we have more legs to stand on, more able shoulders to lean on, more quality footballers. We also need leaders of course, if we can find them, but not at the expense of our best players unless we're absolutely forced to. To look at a poor run and say that the players that were the best before the run are automatically to blame so we should replace them makes no sense at all.

PS: I don't mind direct phrasing, but surely you should then expect direct phrasing in return.

What do you expect from Modric?To score 2 goals every time it's not going well for us? He is a deep lying playmaker,he setup alot of chances during our barren period,but they didnt get converted to goals.There are 4 players in our team that play a more offensive role than Modric and they were all tinkle poor and even started doing whatever they want(Bale).The only 2 players in the world that are capable of changing the game around on their own are Messi and Ronaldo,and they are both forwards.

Modric atleast always tries to do the best thing for the team,he is not in the opposition box and waiting for a ball,he will pick it up in our own half and try to create a chance.If you cant see what Modric brings to our team on a regular basis,then you will probably notice it once he is gone

Shocking again. Even if I accepted that he is just a fair weather player, something I don't, his abilities when we play well puts him well above any average PL midfielder.

Almost all players in the world have poor runs. This false dichotomy that a player is either some super hero-player who manages to pull a team up by it's bootstraps even at the worst of times or he is run-of-the-mill makes no sense. There has to be a sliding scale between the two. There are very few players that on their own turn around the fortunes of a team that is struggling, especially when there seems to be managerial problems as well. I think this glorified image of a single hero pulling his team mates out of the mud is disconnected from reality.

A quick look at some of the most lauded leaders and players in the PL.

Terry - What did he do when Chelsea struggled under AVB? Never mind AVB, how about the many other managers Chelsea have struggled under? Same for Lampard.
Gerrard - What has he done to pull Liverpool out of the mud, first under Benitez, then under Hodgson, now under Daglish. Consistently failing to change their fortunes.
Rooney - Does well for United, but had a poor run that extended about the length of a season not that long ago. And why isn't he able to pull England out of the mud? (Same argument for the previous players) "to be "worth ?ú40m+" then he's gotta be the sort of player who, when times are tough, digs deeper and pulls the team up by its bootstraps"
Silva - Although not a leader, by many ranked as one of the very best players in the league and the best player at City earlier this season. Where was he when their poor run set in? What bootstraps did he pull? Is he now just a run-of-the-mill player?

Teams pull themselves out of the mud, teams get back on their feet, teams pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That includes the manager, the players and the coaching staff. Look at the teams that do consistently well and generally without extended poor runs. None of them do it because of one player. They do it because they have a team, with a solid system, with a manager that leads them, with a squad where no single player is expected to change it all, where they have many very good players.

That's what we need, more good players. Or if we can get them, more excellent players like Modric. So that when our team doesn't function we have more legs to stand on, more able shoulders to lean on, more quality footballers. We also need leaders of course, if we can find them, but not at the expense of our best players unless we're absolutely forced to. To look at a poor run and say that the players that were the best before the run are automatically to blame so we should replace them makes no sense at all.

PS: I don't mind direct phrasing, but surely you should then expect direct phrasing in return.

Good post. It's true that Modric isn't a natural leader or 'winner', like a Roy Keane. But that doesn't mean he deserves to be sold! The truth is that there aren't that many players like that around.

Also, IMO Luka's style of play, or his role in the team, mean that he's not the kind of player who is going to drag a team forward during a bad spell. He's not going to make a crunching slide tackle that gets the crowd on their feet, or get large numbers of goals or assists. He makes the team tick through his ability to retain possession and get the ball to our more attacking players; he's not really a Bale or a VDV who create or score goals out of individual brilliance, or a King or Friedel who can stop goals single-handedly.

In some ways he has the ability to make the whole team better, but to an extent his impact also relies on the players around him playing well; kind of a weird paradox.

Good post. It's true that Modric isn't a natural leader or 'winner', like a Roy Keane. But that doesn't mean he deserves to be sold! The truth is that there aren't that many players like that around.

Also, IMO Luka's style of play, or his role in the team, mean that he's not the kind of player who is going to drag a team forward during a bad spell. He's not going to make a crunching slide tackle that gets the crowd on their feet, or get large numbers of goals or assists. He makes the team tick through his ability to retain possession and get the ball to our more attacking players; he's not really a Bale or a VDV who create or score goals out of individual brilliance, or a King or Friedel who can stop goals single-handedly.

In some ways he has the ability to make the whole team better, but to an extent his impact also relies on the players around him playing well; kind of a weird paradox.

Good analysis.
He has the ability to play some excellent killer passes,but unfortunately nobody besides Bale ever makes those kind of runs in our team.

You can generally tell how good a player is by the clubs that would be interested if the player was available for transfer.

Modric would interest Chelsea and Man Utd and quite possibly Emirates Marketing Project as well - and that's just the biggest spending clubs in this country. To say that Modric isn't a very good player would seem pretty ridiculous to me when most clubs out there would love to have him.

You can generally tell how good a player is by the clubs that would be interested if the player was available for transfer.

Modric would interest Chelsea and Man Utd and quite possibly Emirates Marketing Project as well - and that's just the biggest spending clubs in this country. To say that Modric isn't a very good player would seem pretty ridiculous to me when most clubs out there would love to have him.

And there are those who can not see that ](*,)

The Starting Line Up Opinion Thread

Ok i think this will be the first thread of its kind but i thought it would be interesting to see peoples opinions on the line up prior to kick off. Its so easy in hindsight to say i would have done this or so and so should have started but put your money where your mouth is from the off.

Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Rose, Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale, VDV, Ade

Is this the right starting line up? Yes or No

Ok i think this will be the first thread of its kind but i thought it would be interesting to see peoples opinions on the line up prior to kick off. Its so easy in hindsight to say i would have done this or so and so should have started but put your money where your mouth is from the off.

Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Rose, Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale, VDV, Ade

Is this the right starting line up? Yes or No

You should list the subs too, so people know who is exactly available.

It's the right players and if it's two banks of four with Ade up top and VDV roaming it's the right formation. If it's a 4-5-1 then at least we can switch to 4-4-1-1 at some point during the game to salvage it. And Lennon and Bale have to be on their preferred flanks.

Yes. We were brilliant against Blackburn. Blackburn have attacking-wise been better than Bolton this season in every department. Sure, we were the home side and Blackburn were away but team-wise, I'd say Blackburn edge it.

We SHOULD be beating Bolton but with them needing to win to survive, Muamba back in the stadium etc. It's going to be a nervy game for both teams, emotional for all the right reasons.

I would drop adebayor but thats not easy as we have no one to play on its own up front.

He really has been poor in recent weeks.

Depends on whether Lennon is fit or not. If he's just playing because Harry doesn't fancy GDS and has a terrible game, then it wont be the right line up.

Depends on whether Lennon is fit or not. If he's just playing because Harry doesn't fancy GDS and has a terrible game, then it wont be the right line up.

This. If Lennon is fit enough then this is the best line up we could have put out with our current injuries.

Back