• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Society of Black Lawyers...

Please explain why you would find an 'African Solicotor Network' confrontational; other than the fact you would see no need for it. I'm genuininely curious

Because it alienates anyone who isn't African and creates a divide immediately that's why. How can we fight racism and build bridges if we're constantly ganging up in 'societies' where other races can't be included!? Sorry GGeze but its that simple to me.

My point is that there are several reasons why for a time there would/could be a use for an SBL (not that I knew there was one until now): to bridge the gaps in expertise/experience, as a mentoring organisation, to provide an umbrella organisationthat could perhaps challenge the institutional racism/curruption seen in the Stephen Lawrence investiagtion for example. I could provide other social-demographic issues as well, bit I wont bore everyone here.

Can you give me a reason why in a country that is overwhelmingly white, why somebody would want to set up a SWL? Am truly curious

Your trying to prove why they should be a SBL, there is no need because i really do not care if they is or is not, my point is ( and you keep avoiding that) is that if there was a SWL ( reguardless of why) it would more then likely be called a racist group. But you obviously have a blind spot and i am just wasting my time trying to get you to see that.

I'd have to disagree jimmy. The name of the organisation is confrontational, incites racial tension and needless IMO.

I very much doubt that it incites racial tension within the legal world, mate. And that's where it operates. Not the media.

It doesn't stick its neck out into issues where it doesn't belong (unlike SBL). It doesn't seek a high profile (unlike SBL). Like me, you weren't even aware of its existence until minutes ago. Yet it has been around for 17 years - in which time, I have heard no rumblings of racial tension.

My guess is that the vast majority of solicitors (black and white) are highly sympathetic to the aims and raison d'etre of such an organisation.

You still don't get it do you?
I'll ask again, in the UK or other country where the vast majority of the population is white, why would you start a Society for White Lawyers? Again, what would be the point?
I see Hootnow has asked this as well

I think the point you might be missing, is that no other ethnic group would create such an organisation

(Or be allowed to for that matter)

The world has moved on

Black people can sit anywhere on the bus now. They can even run super powers.

The SBL is unnecessary in modern society

In fact, I'd argue that it seeks to create tension and barriers, rather than to defeat them

Your trying to prove why they should be a SBL, there is no need because i really do not care if they is or is not, my point is ( and you keep avoiding that) is that if there was a SWL ( reguardless of why) it would more then likely be called a racist group. But you obviously have a blind spot and i am just wasting my time trying to get you to see that.

My point is that a SWL being set-up in this country that is overwhelmingly white would be viewed in the same way as a SBL being set up in a country that is overwhelmingly black (like Ghana): as in why, wtf?

It is from this 'wtf is the point angle', which would lead to the suspicons of the groups intentions. It seems to be you that hasn't grasped this point of the context of geography, demographics and history.

I assume you are white or at least non-Black?
If so, can I ask you how you think the SBL discriminates against you or is racist towards you?

I very much doubt that it incites racial tension within the legal world, mate. And that's where it operates. Not the media.

It doesn't stick its neck out into issues where it doesn't belong (unlike SBL). It doesn't seek a high profile (unlike SBL). Like me, you weren't even aware of its existence until minutes ago. Yet it has been around for 17 years - in which time, I have heard no rumblings of racial tension.

My guess is that the vast majority of solicitors (black and white) are highly sympathetic to the aims and raison d'etre of such an organisation.

Exactly

I think the point you might be missing, is that no other ethnic group would create such an organisation

(Or be allowed to for that matter)

The world has moved on

Black people can sit anywhere on the bus now. They can even run super powers.

The SBL is unnecessary in modern society

In fact, I'd argue that it seeks to create tension and barriers, rather than to defeat them

See Jimmyb's post above

Is it me or do these societies feed on the paranoia of minorities to make money.

Sometimes that might sadly be the case, but see Jimmy's post above.

Often such societies work under the radar and are there just to act as support networks and not seek brazen publicity etc

My point is that a SWL being set-up in this country that is overwhelmingly white would be viewed in the same way as a SBL being set up in a country that is overwhelmingly black (like Ghana): as in why, wtf?

It is from this 'wtf is the point angle', which would lead to the suspicions of the groups intentions. It seems to be you that hasn't grasped this point of the context of geography, demographics and history.

I assume you are white or at least non-Black?
If so, can I ask you how you think the SBL discriminates against you or is racist towards you?

It does not and i have not said it has, you have a chip on your shoulder about race and you are not prepared to see anything but that. The world has moved on ( for the better) but its people like you and your attitude that will not let what used to be go. Thats it for me my friend i can not debate with a closed mind which you obviously have.

As a Jew, I am actually offended how others can define what I should find racist. Nothing disgusts me more than when other clubs chant 'yids' but nothing makes me happier than when my fellow supporters chant it in unison with me, to defend my people to deflect anti-Semitic abuse.

Until a Jewish Spurs fan speaks out against this then nobody else has the right to comment. Until that day I'll proudly label myself an absolute proud YIDDO!!!!

This.

See Jimmyb's post above

Out of interest, what are the aims of an all black network like this?

Are they suggesting that passing all the exams and qualifying is not enough?

Or are white solicitors unable / unwilling to service that needs of black clients?

Genuine question.

I do find it remarkable that its the 21st century and groups/networks like this need to exist in this country, of all places.

Surely the brain alone dictates your ability to practice law?

It does not and i have not said it has, you have a chip on your shoulder about race and you are not prepared to see anything but that. The world has moved on ( for the better) but its people like you and your attitude that will not let what used to be go. Thats it for me my friend i can not debate with a closed mind which you obviously have.

Lol, it seems that it is YOU with the chip on the shoulder. I had not even heard about the SBL before this week, but you seem to have gotten all hot and bothered about it.

It's almost like you think that perhaps black people will get better legal services than whites in this country because of it; or perhaps you think that any lawyers in the SBL would actively turn way any non-Blacks who call on them to represent them in their legal affairs.

As I say, it seems it is actually you that has a chip on your shoulder because you cannot fathom the formation of what is essentially in this country nothing more than a support network created by a minority group.

Next you'll be saying that all members who didn'tb have a problem with a newly form disabilities support network to exchange experiences and view, support each other etc have chips on their shoulders too.

I have come to this late, but to me to put it back into context (a bit)....

I see being a fully paid up and proud YID as my identity badge today. I join in with the chants with pride and togetherness, whether at WHL (in-frequently), at the pub, or at home with the (Spurs supporting) kids. I'm not Jewish but have been around the culture and faith (or belief if I have the term wrong) from a very early age... (about 6 if I am honest when I met met Matthew, the Jewish lad next door who was a Leeds fan). Half my school were Jewish, and they were split almost down the middle between us and the Goons. But from the age of 11, I have always had an affinity and awareness of the term (because it can be plural and conceptual) or word, 'YID'.

To me, the word, and to an extent the concept is intrinsically bound up with supporting Spurs from circa 1978... Spurs could have been like Chelsea or West Ham, synonymous with prejudice and intolerance, tolerating their club's black players (like Canoville at Chelsea) but abusing the opposition 'non-Britons'. Spurs, on the other hand were (and I accept we are talking from a very low base here if we are talking about general racial/religious tolerance in the 70's in north London) a welcome, tolerant, appreciative crowd...

Garth Crooks was class as far we were concerned, colour was irrelevant. I remember circa 78/79, our Argentinian duo were regularly met with volleys of 'Wap', 'Dago', 'Spick' and 'Argie' but we loved 'em, (particularly Ossie), we embraced them, but in hindsight, they were the pioneers of today's footie mercenaries. With regards to Mr Crooks, I wish I had personally abused him more if I had had the foresight to appreciate how an intelligent, erudite young man, who had read the odd, obscure dingdongens' novel could metamorphose into the bore of today!

But to me, being nominally a C of E, being a YID is a proud badge. As a YID I am proud to support a multi-racial, ethnically diverse club. Age, gender, and religion are all accepted and absorbed amongst the fans and the club. Being a YID means that I am NOT a stereo-typical, narrow minded, neanderthal football fan.

That's what being a proud Yid means to me, an almost life long supporter.

I have come to this late, but to me to put it back into context (a bit)....

I see being a fully paid up and proud YID as my identity badge today. I join in with the chants with pride and togetherness, whether at WHL (in-frequently), at the pub, or at home with the (Spurs supporting) kids. I'm not Jewish but have been around the culture and faith (or belief if I have the term wrong) from a very early age... (about 6 if I am honest when I met met Matthew, the Jewish lad next door who was a Leeds fan). Half my school were Jewish, and they were split almost down the middle between us and the Goons. But from the age of 11, I have always had an affinity and awareness of the term (because it can be plural and conceptual) or word, 'YID'.

To me, the word, and to an extent the concept is intrinsically bound up with supporting Spurs from circa 1978... Spurs could have been like Chelsea or West Ham, synonymous with prejudice and intolerance, tolerating their club's black players (like Canoville at Chelsea) but abusing the opposition 'non-Britons'. Spurs, on the other hand were (and I accept we are talking from a very low base here if we are talking about general racial/religious tolerance in the 70's in north London) a welcome, tolerant, appreciative crowd...

Garth Crooks was class as far we were concerned, colour was irrelevant. I remember circa 78/79, our Argentinian duo were regularly met with volleys of 'Wap', 'Dago', 'Spick' and 'Argie' but we loved 'em, (particularly Ossie), we embraced them, but in hindsight, they were the pioneers of today's footie mercenaries. With regards to Mr Crooks, I wish I had personally abused him more if I had had the foresight to appreciate how an intelligent, erudite young man, who had read the odd, obscure dingdongens' novel could metamorphose into the bore of today!

But to me, being nominally a C of E, being a YID is a proud badge. As a YID I am proud to support a multi-racial, ethnically diverse club. Age, gender, and religion are all accepted and absorbed amongst the fans and the club. Being a YID means that I am NOT a stereo-typical, narrow minded, neanderthal football fan.

That's what being a proud Yid means to me, an almost life long supporter.

This

Out of interest, what are the aims of an all black network like this?

Are they suggesting that passing all the exams and qualifying is not enough?

Or are white solicitors unable / unwilling to service that needs of black clients?

Genuine question.

I do find it remarkable that its the 21st century and groups/networks like this need to exist in this country, of all places.

Surely the brain alone dictates your ability to practice law?

This is what tinkles me off, for years society has been trying to bring minorites into general society yet they wish to continue alienating themselves as its a money spinner.

Back