• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Society of Black Lawyers...

Out of interest, what are the aims of an all black network like this?

Are they suggesting that passing all the exams and qualifying is not enough?

Or are white solicitors unable / unwilling to service that needs of black clients?

Genuine question.

I do find it remarkable that its the 21st century and groups/networks like this need to exist in this country, of all places.

Surely the brain alone dictates your ability to practice law?

Statement from the Black Solicitors Network website:

"The Black Solicitors Network is the primary voice of black solicitors in England and Wales; committed to achieving equality of access, retention and promotion of black solicitors."

It is essentially a support network for Black Solicitors, to make sure that there is equality in terms of access, promotion etc. I think the word to stress is EQUALITY.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with clients.

I agree that this kind of network should hopefully not be needed, but let's not be niave and assume that discrimination doesn't exist anymore. Things are better for sure; hopefully in 20-30 years time such groups dissolve by proxy as the mainstream is fully reprsentative. We can only hope

Last edited:
This is what tinkles me off, for years society has been trying to bring minorites into general society yet they wish to continue alienating themselves as its a money spinner.

Really? I didn't know of such a society before now. How did i know of it? John Terry and that incident.....yep this whole thing happened because minorities 'wanted to laienate themselves'.
:rolleyes:

I just don't get it at all

I work in Sales for an IT company

My industry has not been around that much longer than the SBL itself

Yet there isn't a society of black programmers. Or black sales people. Or black IT consultants.

Why? Because in my experience (17 years into my career), white collar workers (no pun intended) are judged by their experience and ability alone

The SBLs existence seems to me, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Surely?

This is what tinkles me off, for years society has been trying to bring minorities into general society yet they wish to continue alienating themselves as its a money spinner.

i am not sure i would go with the " money spinner" argument, its more they refuse to accept that the world no longer needs a "we are the oppressed angle"

i am not sure i would go with the " money spinner" argument, its more they refuse to accept that the world no longer needs a "we are the oppressed angle"

Let's face it, they are a group of smart young guys who are working an angle out of this, generating expensive legal fees on the side. Any publicity as far as they are concerned is positive. They are fully integrated black guys taking a position for financial gain. tossers, but fair play to them.

I just don't get it at all

I work in Sales for an IT company

My industry has not been around that much longer than the SBL itself

Yet there isn't a society of black programmers. Or black sales people. Or black IT consultants.

Why? Because in my experience (17 years into my career), white collar workers (no pun intended) are judged by their experience and ability alone

The SBLs existence seems to me, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Surely?

I have no direct experience in the legal world, but I have some in the technical world. The technical world works a lot more closely to a full meritocracy as it's new and basically it's all about the hard-nosed description of the end-product: if it's good, you are in no matter what race sex etc.

However from what a schoolfriend who has recently changed career to get into this profession, the legal world seems a much 'older' established perhaps even stuffy world where the difference most of the times between where and how far you get is much more 'subtley defined' and oftenb its to do with 'who you drink with', ;who you studies with', 'who you parents are' and 'who you know'.

In a country like our where Freemasons are still present - especially in the legal world - you can see that those not of the 'old orders' may not get the right ball to bat; hence perhaps at some point there may have been seen a need for an SBL. Sorry just realised i'm bringingmany issues and topis in here, but my pointb is tat unlike the IT/programming world it is not such a straightforward meritocracy and the IT/programming world could not afford to create 'cliques', whether black or white.

Let's face it, they are a group of smart young guys who are working an angle out of this, generating expensive legal fees on the side. Any publicity as far as they are concerned is positive. They are fully integrated black guys taking a position for financial gain. tossers, but fair play to them.

Herbert is certainly a bellend; but in principle the existance alone of BSL shouldn't in itself cause so much consternation;

Herbert doesn't help - he is a bellend for sure

I have no direct experience in the legal world, but I have some in the technical world. The technical world works a lot more closely to a full meritocracy as it's new and basically it's all about the hard-nosed description of the end-product: if it's good, you are in no matter what race sex etc.

However from what a schoolfriend who has recently changed career to get into this profession, the legal world seems a much 'older' established perhaps even stuffy world where the difference most of the times between where and how far you get is much more 'subtley defined' and oftenb its to do with 'who you drink with', ;who you studies with', 'who you parents are' and 'who you know'.

In a country like our where Freemasons are still present - especially in the legal world - you can see that those not of the 'old orders' may not get the right ball to bat; hence perhaps at some point there may have been seen a need for an SBL. Sorry just realised i'm bringingmany issues and topis in here, but my pointb is tat unlike the IT/programming world it is not such a straightforward meritocracy and the IT/programming world could not afford to create 'cliques', whether black or white.

Sounds fair

In which case I'm all for them, providing they don't accuse me of being a racist for using the "Y word"

Herbert is certainly a bellend; but in principle the existance alone of BSL shouldn't in itself cause so much consternation;

Herbert doesn't help - he is a bellend for sure

They don't actually cause me consternation, they are riding on the back of 'allegedly racist' CFC hype at the moment.... trying to make hay where they can.

Sounds fair

In which case I'm all for them, providing they don't accuse me of being a racist for using the "Y word"

Herbert is a bellend; I think he knows in trying to court publicity he jum[ed the gun by making a complaint to the police in the Clattenburg case. I mean if we think about it for a second, unless he saw something on telly or directly at the ground that suggested Clattenburg did say something (like I think somebody saw Terry say what he said on the telly) and then make the official complain to the police, he is looking really foolish.
I mean we only 'know' what we 'know' from what was reported in the news or via twitter etc.

I think he knows that it's likely that the Clattenburg issue will be shown to be a 'misinterpretation' by Chelski and he is trying to save credibility and muddy the waters by bringing up this 'Yiddo' issue now.

He stands as much to lose as Chelski.

Personally i don't beleive Clattenburg did make racist comments...

This is what tinkles me off, for years society has been trying to bring minorites into general society yet they wish to continue alienating themselves as its a money spinner.
Not all minorities alienate themselves, a lot of the historic ethnic areas in London are due to socio-economic regions. Not because people want to "stick together" with "their own kind"; i'm sure people from those ethnic minority groups move to nicer areas once they've established themselves. Point being how tower hamlets was for poor jews but is now for bangladeshis; like how tottenham was jewish now its predominantly african/turk whilst kilburn/cricklewood/burnt oak was for the fresh of the boat irish, but are now have a bigger black population. In fact only in places like Luton are where the ethnic ghettoes truely exist. I wasn't born here but i've lived here for 20/25 years and I consider myself intergrated.

Just wondering, if "yiddo" is a racist term, isn't "black" also a racist term since it refers to the skin colour of a race ? SBL should change their name first to some non-racist names like Society of Anti-Racism Lawyers.

So, does that means Defoe will lose his song ? Maybe his song should be changed to "Jermain Defoe is a striker" or something.=P~

Pretty sure all the hooplah over what Terry said to Ferdinand was over the word "Black", no?

If we called these lawyers fudging Black Lawyers, is that wrong?

Out of interest, what are the aims of an all black network like this?

Are they suggesting that passing all the exams and qualifying is not enough?

Or are white solicitors unable / unwilling to service that needs of black clients?

Genuine question.

I do find it remarkable that its the 21st century and groups/networks like this need to exist in this country, of all places.

Surely the brain alone dictates your ability to practice law?

There is a local magazine called BLAQUE (spelled exactly like that)

http://www.blaque.co.za/

Back