• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The slightly girly Health, Fitness & Diet Thread

I'm an idiot. I've just signed up to do a 'Spartan Race' description: gruelling 5K course packed with 25 obstacles like slip ramps, walls, balance beams, cargo nets, spear throwing, fire jumps and much more.

I run quite a bit, but with no real goals, just so my level of fitness isn't as bad as it could be. I don't do weights or push ups or anything so this is gonna be tough and a bit of an adventure. I have until July 22nd To sort myself out, which sounds like a long time, but I imagine I'm gonna need every moment of that.

Wish me luck. I'll be coming back with loads of questions in due course.

If you want to have a go you can get reduced entry from Mad Deal

That Spartan Race looks quality & I'd sign up too if I had enough upper body strength. All aspects of your body & mind will be pushed to the limits that day but, with determination, you will come out of it having had a fantastic time.

I have no upper body strength at all.. I figured 6 months would be long enough to build up some strength. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

I run 10km two or three times a week but have just discovered the bench press thingy is safe to do on my own. Love it now, can feel the difference already.

I'm lucky that I have a gym in my building, so I can just pop up there whenever I want really.

So the really burning question I'm asking myself is; how do I train for an obstacle race?

I need:
Vastly improved upper body strength
Better Stamina
Agility (I'm a clumsy oaf)

And probably a hundred other things.

I run quite a lot.
My mate who's doing the race with me has weights and will show me the ropes.

I'm thinking about trying a combat sport or rowing or maybe even parkour.. something I can book some lessons/sessions in and will give me an all body style workout.

Any suggestions, insights, links to further reading materials etc is gratefully recieved. Please help me.

Last year i was a fat boy and weighed 13 1/2 stone. @ 5 ft 11

I'm down to 10 1/2 stone and my six-pack is developing nicely nicely :D

So the really burning question I'm asking myself is; how do I train for an obstacle race?

I need:
Vastly improved upper body strength
Better Stamina
Agility (I'm a clumsy oaf)

And probably a hundred other things.

I run quite a lot.
My mate who's doing the race with me has weights and will show me the ropes.

I'm thinking about trying a combat sport or rowing or maybe even parkour.. something I can book some lessons/sessions in and will give me an all body style workout.

Any suggestions, insights, links to further reading materials etc is gratefully recieved. Please help me.

Quite honestly combat sports/parkour will not by themselves give you stamina, because you can cheat the pace. A good Muay Thai gym might help as most of the "old school" style ones spend 30-45 mins of conditioning training before skill training.

High intensity, and interval type training tends to be quite effective.

Simple stuff

- Run (hate the brick, but it helps stamina), make sure you keep trying to either improve the time (longer) or the distance (speed)
- Skip/Jump rope, start with 3 minute rounds, 1 minute rest, eventually aim for 10-15 minutes no rest.
- Bodyweight (Pushups/pullups/squats), number of programs out on the net, try to get a good base of how many you can do (e.g. 50 squats/50 pushups/20 Pullups), once there, do them in a single set, rest, repeat x3.

Cheap, effective as hell and can be done anywhere.

Am eating a lot of fruit, nuts and hvaing protein drinks too, i have a ring of fire today, crikey hahaha

I race triathlons - doing the Dorney and London triathlons this year, and might do the London duathlon too...

My training regime involves a lot of drop sets, super sets and brick training - if anyone wants to cut up, gain overall fitness and burn fat, these are all great methods, let me know if you to know more about any of these types of training. These are not however good methods for building bulky muscle.

Well done Mark! So your hard work is paying off!

I'm eager to get back down gym; been stopped from doing so by the cold & my inherent weakness to coughs. Going to put my effort in to losing the rest of that targeted stone by the end of Feb.

lost 8 pounds since 1st Jan now just through a change in diet - no excercise at all
amazing how much all that fat and sugar takes its toll

lost 8 pounds since 1st Jan now just through a change in diet - no excercise at all
amazing how much all that fat and sugar takes its toll

Somehow I've lost the same amount & I've been rubbish over the last few days. I've had alcohol, pizza, McDonalds, crisps etc...hoping it's not a temporary weigh in that's hopelessly wrong and that I don't suddenly pile the pounds on.

I'm going to be very careful what I eat now for a week. Ensure that I minimise any knock-on damage from the bad foods.

Somehow I've lost the same amount & I've been rubbish over the last few days. I've had alcohol, pizza, McDonalds, crisps etc...hoping it's not a temporary weigh in that's hopelessly wrong and that I don't suddenly pile the pounds on.

I'm going to be very careful what I eat now for a week. Ensure that I minimise any knock-on damage from the bad foods.

way to rain on my parade! ;):barnet:;)

isnt that the point of eating well, so you can do the pizza booze etc for a day every couple of weeks
i went cold turkey on the fat and sugar early jan and then slowly started eating a bit of choc again - i think i appreciate it more now when i do it and therefore only eat it in modernation

It does feel bloody good when you've been eating well for a whole week and you can one day to drink what you want and tuck into the odd kebab. It's just a case of keeping the reward as a reward, rather than as part of the diet!

Well i cycled 45 miles today and my calfs are so tight you would not belive it, first proper ride i have done since the start of december. I have a bit of a health problem but am returning to fitness now, it is amazing how out of shape i am after a few months without my usual exercise routine. Do not know how players with long term injuries do it when they come back to fitness.

I imagine they have a higher standard of fitness in the first place though.

Started off going three times a week but changed my routine, now going four times a week while fitting in 6-a-side and 11-a-side.

Monday: Back + forearms

Tuesday: Shoulders + triceps

Wednesday: 6-a-side

Thursday: Chest + Biceps

Friday: Legs + forearms

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: - 11-a-side

Been doing this for a couple of weeks now - and eating a brick load in order to gain some weight and not feel lethargic throughout the day.

Back