• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Shard

I will post some shots soon but from my flat I get a perfect view of the skyline thats why I really like these towers. They do certainly look cool as long as they are all in a cluster.

Shard does seem a bit way out though, nothing else around it. Maybe that adds to the allure.

o-THE-SHARD-570.jpg

CGI view of unveiling tomorrow night

I think that's the aim. On its own it looks even taller, like the Eiffel tower.

Great pic....... Looks like one done by that guy that died? Used to break into build sites??

I suppose so, is cool that you can see it from pretty much anywhere in London. Makes it that much more iconic.

Can't wait to go for dinner up at the top.

Not sure which guy you mean.

Was up that way a few weeks back on a thursday to pop into borough market for some pork pies. I think it looks really lovely, i do not mind some sky scrappers around the city but i hope not to many.

I was at a party the other day and i got talking to a fella quite an interesting chap actually and he is part of a historical group that are looking after the pillars that used to be outside of Euston Station and they are talking with the developers about putting them back in when the station gets down up. This made me look at the plans they have for that station and i got to say some of them look impressive i hope they go ahead with it because at the moment i think it is the worst station in london of the main ones.
SydneyandLondonoption1.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing the Shard when I return to London in August for the first time in three years. Anyone know how many floors it is?

Melbourne has a policy of allowing as many skyscrapers as developers want to build in the CBD (i'm a planner for the State Government) and personally I think providing the aren't all glass boxes, its a good thing. Means more people get to live close to the city with amazing views, albeit in smaller apartments.

I was at the Sky Bar for drinks lastnight, had awesome views of London's skyline, the shard looks impressive, they were practising the light show ahead of tonight too

Was reading the top apartments are going for £30m - £50m each !!! wowzers

Bout time you guys had some skyscrapers.

I agree. Manhattan is fudging awesome, I ended up with a cricked neck from looking up in amazement at all the tall buildings. An impressive skyline always adds drama to a city, in my view at least. I have to say though, I think Hong Kong tops NY when it comes to skyscrapers, they don't seem to have any buildings with fewer than 40 floors!

Have you been watching th secret history of our streets on bbc??

Brilliant Telly

Yep it is amazing telly and my favourite show at the moment, i wish the BBC would stick to stuff like this and i would not mind paying the fee, they did another great show a couple of years ago about a guy going round the world to source parts for his dream bicycle was very interesting also.

Does anyone else on here do the open house tour each september http://www.londonopenhouse.org/ we did it last year and where lucky enough to go round the Olympic park and inside the stadium. We have tried to get inside the Gherkin every year it has been on the list but not been lucky enough. We did go inside Mansion House and got a very interesting tour of it.

They do these open houses in every major city in the world now.

yep thats the one, looks gorgeous is the a way to post that picture so everyone can see it, shows modern design does not have to be bad, imagine how much better Euston would look like that. Also got told by this guy that they had plans to use airport style walkways underground to link Euston with Kings cross which i guess would make things quicker.

I think they will have to wait till crossrail 2 is on the cards before they do anything with Euston station, shame because it needs something now. Have you noticed how there is never anywhere for you to seat at stations now unless you go into a cafe or a bar. Should have waiting rooms i think, so many times when i come back from night games im standing around at victoria like a taco waiting for the train.

Well, Arabs have built the building. Qatari sovereign wealth fund iirc.

Pretty much. Banks, holdings companies, construction firms. It's all back to the Qatari royals. Hard to find countries with lots of money to keep things going, Qatar is definitely one.

Back