• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Shard

P.D.

Alf Ramsey
Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this as it officially opens tomorrow.

Stating the obvious but its crazy how tall it is, seems literally whereever I am in London I can see it pretty much. I get a perfect view of entire strucutre from every room in flat and from there it looks so out of place, really doesnt fit in with Guys next door to it.

Opening thing tomorrow night should be cool, loads of lasers firing of it and a big lightshow. Tests looked good last night.

i love it

i like the look of the Helter Skelter type tower that is being built as well - The Pinnacle ?

not so sure what London is going to look like if they continue to build 'quirky' skyscrapers though

i love it

i like the look of the Helter Skelter type tower that is being built as well - The Pinnacle ?

not so sure what London is going to look like if they continue to build 'quirky' skyscrapers though

Was up that way a few weeks back on a thursday to pop into borough market for some pork pies. I think it looks really lovely, i do not mind some sky scrappers around the city but i hope not to many.

Looks like they are doing a lot of work around London Bridge station as well. It was my main route up to spurs games when my dad came with me and then a walk down to liverpool street.

Has borough market got smaller, i know i was only there on a thursday but it felt like some of the building work has gone to the over side of the road.

Im going to come across as a bit sad but me and the wife like doing walks around london, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing i can recommend some books on secret london and the like, just PM me.

I was at a party the other day and i got talking to a fella quite an interesting chap actually and he is part of a historical group that are looking after the pillars that used to be outside of Euston Station and they are talking with the developers about putting them back in when the station gets down up. This made me look at the plans they have for that station and i got to say some of them look impressive i hope they go ahead with it because at the moment i think it is the worst station in london of the main ones.

When i have a little more time i will put up some links to it.

One of my guilty pleasures is walking around London with the wife and a book and reading what buildings used to be there and what ones are now. We have also down a few blue plaque walks, because she likes the literary figures, means nothing much to me but i like to walk different parts of the city.

The Pinnacle is on hold I believe due to funding issues, I think the bank said they would only fund it if some of the floors were pre let which they arent yet. Lots of talk of the Qataris financing it.

Some other big towers going up, theres the cheesegrater and walkie talkie. Core is finished for walkie talkie but no sign of the cheesegrater on the skyline yet.

Think theres a couple of others in the works too.

London skyline will be awesome in 3/4 years.

Was up that way a few weeks back on a thursday to pop into borough market for some pork pies. I think it looks really lovely, i do not mind some sky scrappers around the city but i hope not to many.

Looks like they are doing a lot of work around London Bridge station as well. It was my main route up to spurs games when my dad came with me and then a walk down to liverpool street.

Has borough market got smaller, i know i was only there on a thursday but it felt like some of the building work has gone to the over side of the road.

Whole London Bridge area is being done up, station is getting redone and will be completed in 2018 and theres loads of office and retail space. Development is called London Bridge Quarter (http://www.londonbridgequarter.com/).

And yes Borough Market got moved a bit as they had to build a new viaduct for station works, now on Borough high st there is a shiny new bridge going over the road. A lot of fuss was made at the time.

I love wandering around London as well, no other city comes close to it in my opinion.

Skyscrapercity forum lads. Everything is on there. Utterly brilliant forum with some almost unbelievably dedicated individuals!!

The Wilkie talkie is brilliant. Huge sky garden!!!

Im going to come across as a bit sad but me and the wife like doing walks around london, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing i can recommend some books on secret london and the like, just PM me.

I was at a party the other day and i got talking to a fella quite an interesting chap actually and he is part of a historical group that are looking after the pillars that used to be outside of Euston Station and they are talking with the developers about putting them back in when the station gets down up. This made me look at the plans they have for that station and i got to say some of them look impressive i hope they go ahead with it because at the moment i think it is the worst station in london of the main ones.

When i have a little more time i will put up some links to it.

One of my guilty pleasures is walking around London with the wife and a book and reading what buildings used to be there and what ones are now. We have also down a few blue plaque walks, because she likes the literary figures, means nothing much to me but i like to walk different parts of the city.

Have you been watching th secret history of our streets on bbc??

Brilliant Telly

I know all about that forum, been a member there for years but I wanted to talk about it here not wander through page after page of the style of cladding used etc

The Pinnacle is on hold I believe due to funding issues, I think the bank said they would only fund it if some of the floors were pre let which they arent yet. Lots of talk of the Qataris financing it.

Some other big towers going up, theres the cheesegrater and walkie talkie. Core is finished for walkie talkie but no sign of the cheesegrater on the skyline yet.

Think theres a couple of others in the works too.

London skyline will be awesome in 3/4 years.

Completely agree with the last line. The Ghurkin went up whilst I was out of the country, literally had no idea until the first time I was back in the city, I was stunned! I think the Shard looks great as well. All good for London.

i thought the Walkie Talkie got rejected ?

the designs i saw several years ago looked terrible - IMO

London needs more sky scrapers. Goin to New York and you see the sky scrapers and I'm envious of it.

I like the Shard and looks like and is modelled on my penis.

Never realised there will be properties to live in also rather than just offices. Amazin how they build these things

I know all about that forum, been a member there for years but I wanted to talk about it here not wander through page after page of the style of cladding used etc

Calm down dear! :)

Just for the others then.

Some of the posters are basically mad getting excited bout a new floor on a core or whatever!

I love the shard, can't wait to stay at the new shangri-la hotel in there. They are recladdng guys hospital as well that really does look like a horrid carbuncle next to it!! Then there's the place, the baby shard next to it. St George's Wharf in Vauxhall is coming on leaps plus th leadenhall building, aka the cheesegrater. So much going on in London.

London needs more sky scrapers. Goin to New York and you see the sky scrapers and I'm envious of it.

I like the Shard and looks like and is modelled on my penis.

Never realised there will be properties to live in also rather than just offices. Amazin how they build these things

£50 million each mate!!!

London has its own character. The old buildings mixed with the new and wide range of architectural styles makes it what it is. It now has two clusters in the city and canary wharf with others starting in Vauxhall and on the south bank like the shard. There are some amazing skyline shots on that forum.

that's a shame, i really think it'd be a mistake to keep approving these 'out there' designs for high rise buildings in the capital - one or two (the Shard/the Pinnacle) i can deal with but if they all keep having a unique angle then the sky line will start to look like a mis match of ugly buildings the more that get added

http://www.20fenchurchstreet.co.uk/

looks rank :-&

Last edited:
Would be insane having a flat up there, the ultimate bachelor pad. Will no doubt all be owned by russians

Completely disagree.

Not worse that uniform concrete boxes. look at the Chrysler building, built 80 years ago and iconic. There is nothing in the world lik the shard and the walkie talkie. The sky garden will be brilliant!!

Back