• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Season starts now (post-Anfield)

the dza

Christian Ziege
remaining-games.jpg

As you can see, we have 13 league games left. I'm encouraged by the fact that 8 of those games are against teams currently in the bottom half and the games against the better sides are at home.

Vertonghen will be back soon, which will allow us to go back to 343 (at least against the lesser teams, where the formation has worked so well). Davies is inferior to Rose, but he will be good enough against most of the teams we have left to play, he's a decent player.

Our next two league games are home games, and our home form is excellent. I think we will win both and be in a strong position. I would argue that our toughest fixtures have been played and when you look at the games we have left, we can feel confident of getting a win in all of them (I'm not saying we will win them all).

Poch got it wrong at Anfield, but he generally gets it right. I think we can be optimistic for the run in. And we are currently still 2nd! ;)

We have a good run of fixtures up until the Arsenal game - of course things aren't as easy as they appear on paper but I think it's in our hands to finish the season better than anyone bar Chelsea

Edit :

Next 9 games

Stoke h
Everton h
Palace a
Southampton h
Burnley a
Swansea a
Watford h
Bournemouth h
Leicester a

I think we should just focus on the 2 cups. We can beat anyone so if we put in the first team in cup competitions, our chance of winning something or at least getting to a final will be high.

But this means we might have to play some of the 2nd strings in epl and risk missing top 4. I think we should take the risk and give fringe players like winks, wimmer, trippier, davis, cv, edwards, sissoko and hopefully a half fit lamela time on epl.

So if we miss top 4 and win a cup. We celebrate. Next season we quickly exit all cup games to focus on epl. This is how I think is the only way we can win the league.

Sent from my SM-N910G using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think we should just focus on the 2 cups.

Serious question, did you hit your head? Are you crazy? Why would you be so negative? Supposing we focus on the cups and we still get knocked out of both? That would leave us royally fcuked.

We can beat anyone so if we put in the first team in cup competitions, our chance of winning something or at least getting to a final will be high.
Alternatively performances against Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have shown we are not invincible.

But this means we might have to play some of the 2nd strings in epl and risk missing top 4. I think we should take the risk and give fringe players like winks, wimmer, trippier, davis, cv, edwards, sissoko and hopefully a half fit lamela time on epl.

Are you a Gooner in disguise because even @Gutter Boy with some of his left field views would agree that is just ridiculous

So if we miss top 4 and win a cup. We celebrate. Next season we quickly exit all cup games to focus on epl. This is how I think is the only way we can win the league.

But there is still no guarantee we win the league next season anyway

Bottom line the targets of aiming to win either of the cup competitions and an excellent finish in the league are not mutually exclusive.

I want a cup win and I want top 4 finish

We have a good run of fixtures up until the Arsenal game - of course things aren't as easy as they appear on paper but I think it's in our hands to finish the season better than anyone bar Chelsea

This. Season is far from over, and we are still very much in it for second place. We'll need to improve cobsiderably from next game on, though.

While our coming fixtures are theoretically easier than Liverpool away, there are also many potential banana skins there. We can't afford many - if any - slip ups before Arse at home if we want to be serious about getting our highest league finish for more than 50 years. And of course we'll need to beat Arse and avoid losing Wet Spam's cup final too.

We'll see how it pans out. Cups could be a distraction too. I'd love a cup win this season though, more that than second place (if we can still secure top four).

Edit :

Next 9 games

Stoke h
Everton h
Palace a
Southampton h
Burnley a
Swansea a
Watford h
Bournemouth h
Leicester a

From those fixtures I would expect maximum points in most of those except Leicester, Burnley. Everton could get a draw at WHL.
In any case, it's a good set of games to start another unbeaten run

Definitely think we can kick on from here. It was always going to be a tough game despite their form because they always show up for the big ones plus the roasting they took over the Hull game would give them fire. We have 5 home games that we can crack on with before we even look at away fixtures, we have more than enough to finish in the top 4 and win one or maybe both cups. Its a big, big ask but we have been more consistent in the league than everyone bar Chelsea over the course of the season so far and we can continue that over the next 6-8 weeks.

Lets go another 13-14 unbeaten in all comps and see where it leaves us.

Here's what I see as our priorities for the rest of the season.

13th May winning the last ever game at the old WHL
29th April winning the last ever NLD at the old WHL
Finishing top 4
FA Cup (we have a Wembley advantage)
22th April sending those clams Leicester down
Europa League (still 9 games to play so its a long shot)

I'd rather play these than play the top sides away.

Burnley away - honestly think we'll lose that one, they don't drop too many points at home.
Leicester away - they've been sh*te, but we've been an invaluable 'get out of jail free' card for teams in those sorts of positions over the years. Need a lift after a bricky spell? Play Tottenham Hotspur, they'll give you exactly what you need.
West Ham away - Brady needs them to beat us to preserve the last scraps of the board's collective dignity over that farcical stadium move. The team will want to beat us because they take the rivalry seriously, do wee West Ham. Ditto the fans.
Crystal Palace away - again, they're in sh*te form, but see the prognosis for Leicester away - we tend to be a godsend for teams in those sorts of positions.

Personally, I'd be content with 4 points from those games. Four draws, a win, a draw and two losses...either configuration's good with me.

Where I will not stomach an upset is at home - I expect results from every single home game.

Edit :

Next 9 games

Stoke h
Everton h
Palace a
Southampton h
Burnley a
Swansea a
Watford h
Bournemouth h
Leicester a

Stoke h - win.
Everton h - draw.
Palace a - win.
Soton h - win.
Burnley a - loss.
Swansea a - draw.
Watford h - win.
Bournemouth h - win.
Leicester a - draw.

Will go with 18 points from that lot. Leaves us needing at least 5 points from our last four to break our points record - games against Arsenal and United at home will be key in that fight.

Here's what I see as our priorities for the rest of the season.

13th May winning the last ever game at the old WHL
29th April winning the last ever NLD at the old WHL
Finishing top 4
FA Cup (we have a Wembley advantage)
22th April sending those clams Leicester down
Europa League (still 9 games to play so its a long shot)

If we could achieve the first three in your list, that would be a tremendous success and I would be more than happy.
If we had to miss out on top 4 and a cup but still achieved the first two - well, that would be an emotional high that would stay with us forever. I get an adrenaline rush just thinking about those last games.
I saw a tweet yesterday saying that we had 91 days left until our last game at the Lane. Very saddening to contemplate, the final run-in is upon us
This thread is right, Anfield is done and dusted and behind us now. We still have lots to be optimistic about.

If there is any sort of ambition, we should target 80 points. We've only lost 3 games after 2/3 of the season. 9 wins,3 draws and 1 loss should be possible from the last 13 games. I'm not saying we will, but it's not totally unrealistic either. That would get us 80 points. 8 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses gives 77. That should be very doable. Think we'll need at least 73 to get into top 4 this season.

Back