• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Right Back Thread

Doesn't look good for turkey at the moment. Positioning and close control both a bit suspect. First time I've seen him though

I think that he's a decent player but I would want to see him in a game where he is playing higher up before being able to judge whether he would be a good signing for us. I feel that way about most Lille players

Very simplistic but:
- pretty much all of our first 11 will be non home grown
- so most of our back-up players need to be HG

I think we need to be careful when signing non-HG players who probably won't be first choice

Does make players like Bogle, a home grown keeper and midfielders like Olise more attractive. Also shows how poor our squad building has been the last 3 years.

Agreed, very poorly thought through. Agree about Bogle and a HG keeper like Pope and a moura like-for-like in Lookman

I am rather fond of Dwight McNeil also think Brooks would be a good signing.

Collins at Stoke would have been a more shrewd signing then Rodon as Collins despite being Irish counts as home grown.

Getting rid of Davies and bringing in Sessegnon and Skipp for Sissoko will help matters as well.

We really let that side of the club go a bit and it can be traced back to Poch and his refusal to let young players leave on loan.

I would prefer Parrot, Eyoma got championship loans and then a whole host of our younger players get league 1 loans.

I am rather fond of Dwight McNeil also think Brooks would be a good signing.

Collins at Stoke would have been a more shrewd signing then Rodon as Collins despite being Irish counts as home grown.

Getting rid of Davies and bringing in Sessegnon and Skipp for Sissoko will help matters as well.

We really let that side of the club go a bit and it can be traced back to Poch and his refusal to let young players leave on loan.

I would prefer Parrot, Eyoma got championship loans and then a whole host of our younger players get league 1 loans.
McNeil is quality
Would look great with better footballers alongside him

Dumfries at PSV would be a good ‘mid priced’ option. Can play CH as well....

Agreed, but the two concerns I have about him are -

1) He isn't the greatest technically. In the few PSV games I've seen where he's had an impact, it tends to be through his tireless running and his physicality - not through his first-touch, which is a bit clumsy, and his passing/crossing, which are both sub-par. As I recall, he played amateur football until his late teens, which shows in his limited technical abilities.

2) He's represented by Mino Raiola. Once he gets into a club, bad things tend to happen.

Agreed, but the two concerns I have about him are -

1) He isn't the greatest technically. In the few PSV games I've seen where he's had an impact, it tends to be through his tireless running and his physicality - not through his first-touch, which is a bit clumsy, and his passing/crossing, which are both sub-par. As I recall, he played amateur football until his late teens, which shows in his limited technical abilities.

2) He's represented by Mino Raiola. Once he gets into a club, bad things tend to happen.
I think Dumfries plays a bit like Kyle Walker did when he'd first broken into the Spurs team. Walker wasn't necessarily the best technically either but improved year on year and is now good enough to start for the best possession based team in the league. These days if playing inverted wingers then the biggest attribute a full back needs is the ability to make a lot of sprints. I think both Regulion and Sessegnon have that attribute on the left hand side and I think Dumfries would offer that on the right. Personally I'd sell Doherty as well for whatever we can get for him and bring in Bogle as cover/competition. I say that as I think he is another that has more of the qualities of a modern full back. It would also mean we could lose an overseas player for an association trained one.

Dumfries, Milenkovic and Elvedi all coming in could improve our defence immediately while also allowing us to really build something over the next few years as they all start to approach their peaks. The three of them would probably cost under £70m combined as well....

Selling Aurier, Dier, Sanchez and Davies and adding the Foyth money would probably generate most of the funds to get them as well and wages wouldn't be an issue with any of those players either.

I'd then look to sell Winks, Sissoko and Lamela and use those funds to bring in Soumare from Lille. Another big upgrade to the first team. We'd then have any two of Hojbjerg, Soumare and Skip at the base of our midfield which would give our attacking players the proper platform to play from.

These are the types of deals that I expect to see us doing again now that we have a DoF in charge of transfers.

Last edited:

He is an 18 year old Englishman born in croydon and a chelsea fan. He came through at chelsea, before he joined soton a few weeks ago for £5m. He had one year left on his contract and rejected a new contract at chelsea.

Many clubs were in for him including ac milan and rb leipzig. He has already displaced kwp as soton’s right back.

Also chelsea have £25m buy back option, so if he continues to perform as he did on his debut, then we can forget about it imo.

This goes back to the larger debate as to why chelsea seem to find much more talented youngsters than spurs. The gulf in talent that has come through both academies in the last 10 years is scary.

He is an 18 year old Englishman born in croydon and a chelsea fan. He came through at chelsea, before he joined soton a few weeks ago for £5m. He had one year left on his contract and rejected a new contract at chelsea.

Many clubs were in for him including ac milan and rb leipzig. He has already displaced kwp as soton’s right back.

Also chelsea have £25m buy back option, so if he continues to perform as he did on his debut, then we can forget about it imo.

This goes back to the larger debate as to why chelsea seem to find much more talented youngsters than spurs. The gulf in talent that has come through both academies in the last 10 years is scary.
Also a LOT and the Chelsea youngsters that have came through actually turned out to be brick… remember this guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McEachran. Apparently he was gonna be a world beater

they have finally started producing players who can play in the prem but most are actually not good enough for them as you can see still when you look at who plays

Where they have been clever now is inserting a buy back after the lamptey deal has bitten them in the arse

I’ll also throw in that IMO Harry Brooks hasn’t shown so far himself to be a great judge. None of the unknown players I’ve read him tip have stepped up yet, so let’s see.

Could have something to do with the 80.000 or so players they've stockpiled over the years. There's bound to be a few talents in that lot.

Could have something to do with the 80.000 or so players they've stockpiled over the years. There's bound to be a few talents in that lot.

Yeah I'm not sure where the debate is - Chelsea poach players at youth level from all corners and pay more than a premium to do so

Yeah I'm not sure where the debate is - Chelsea poach players at youth level from all corners and pay more than a premium to do so
Cheatski have got Reece James and Trevoh Chalobah too.
It can't be THAT hard to find a good right back, even the England team has a plethora to choose from.

Back