• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll win 9 and draw 2 out of the last 11. Forget just eeking a point or two more than our record points total. We're going to smash it and finish above 80 points and in 2nd place, less than 6 points behind Chelski.

If we go unbeaten for the rest of the season and finish on 85 points, I'll be ridiculously happy. Can't see it at all but we'll see i guess.

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll win 9 and draw 2 out of the last 11. Forget just eeking a point or two more than our record points total. We're going to smash it and finish above 80 points and in 2nd place, less than 6 points behind Chelski.
I'll have a double please.

I think the FA will do Ibra and Mings. 5 games each at least I reckon. They were both so blatant and violent although I feel a bit sorry for Ibrahimovic as his lash out was a reaction to getting stamped on, pretty sure I'd react in a similar way if someone stamped on my head.

Hiss. Boo!

If Chelsea don't win the league from the position they are in it will be a failure, so with the same sort of cup to 5th it would be for us not to get into the top 4.

Arsenal have a game in hand but have to win that and get 2 better results than us, or start hammering teams, same as united - but the game in hand they have Is city

Arsenal still have to play - united/City/Us

United - City/Us/Chelsea

Add Arsenal are imploding finishing below them would be an embarrassment

It always has been for me

It reminds me of Redknapp's last season where Arsenal didn't have a particularly great side but they had 1 world class player (Van Persie) who carried them. He's a different player to Kane who is a better goalscorer but Sanchez's overall play is superior as he's involved in more goals in total. He's got 9 assists I believe. Assists aren't always the most trustworthy stat IMO but he creates more than Kane does.

I think the FA will do Ibra and Mings. 5 games each at least I reckon. They were both so blatant and violent although I feel a bit sorry for Ibrahimovic as his lash out was a reaction to getting stamped on, pretty sure I'd react in a similar way if someone stamped on my head.

Why is everybody missing the fact that in the initial tackle, Ibrahimovic hurdles Mings and then kicks out as he is landing in deliberate fashion. He knows exactly what he is doing, as does Mings with the stamp and then Ibrahimovic again with the elbow. Ibrahimovic will get 3 I think and Mings will get 4-5 for the obviously dangerous nature of stamping on someones head.

Having said all of that though, Ibrahimovic has gotten away with a couple of retrospectives that he deserved action for so if he were to get a 5 game ban then it would be justly deserved.

Never really understood the big thing about top four, and this is why. I know the club will receive more money, however we are the smallest NET spenders in the prem, and Levy won't invest the money on players anyway. So that put to one side, what is so special about the CL. We don't have a monkeys chance of winning it, and despite getting a really simple group this year we still didn't get through to the knock out stages. In actual fact we weren't good enough to beet a mid table side in the EL. Don't get me wrong, I want Spurs to win every game they play and finish as high as they can in the prem, but being in a comp that will only end up embarrassing us does absolutely nothing for me. I would love to finish above Arsenal just for once, and that's regardless of where they finish, however it's apparent our manager and the players didn't feel that way last season.

I was brought up to believe that if you don't finish first you have lost, and we all know that we aren't going to finish above the chavs. In which case Mr Poch, please please please let's go hell for leather and win the FA cup.

Why is everybody missing the fact that in the initial tackle, Ibrahimovic hurdles Mings and then kicks out as he is landing in deliberate fashion. He knows exactly what he is doing, as does Mings with the stamp and then Ibrahimovic again with the elbow. Ibrahimovic will get 3 I think and Mings will get 4-5 for the obviously dangerous nature of stamping on someones head.

Having said all of that though, Ibrahimovic has gotten away with a couple of retrospectives that he deserved action for so if he were to get a 5 game ban then it would be justly deserved.
This. I thought Ibrahimovic tried to stamp on Mings, and Mings gave it back?

Keown on MOTD was saying that Ibra made a little stamp on Mings to start with and it does look like there was a little something. Mings on the other hand had all day to see where to put his foot and made real contact.

After what Alli got last season, I'd say Ibra should get a 3 match ban. Mings on the other hand deserves more.

Never really understood the big thing about top four, and this is why. I know the club will receive more money, however we are the smallest NET spenders in the prem, and Levy won't invest the money on players anyway. So that put to one side, what is so special about the CL. We don't have a monkeys chance of winning it, and despite getting a really simple group this year we still didn't get through to the knock out stages. In actual fact we weren't good enough to beet a mid table side in the EL. Don't get me wrong, I want Spurs to win every game they play and finish as high as they can in the prem, but being in a comp that will only end up embarrassing us does absolutely nothing for me. I would love to finish above Arsenal just for once, and that's regardless of where they finish, however it's apparent our manager and the players didn't feel that way last season.

I was brought up to believe that if you don't finish first you have lost, and we all know that we aren't going to finish above the chavs. In which case Mr Poch, please please please let's go hell for leather and win the FA cup.

i think people get hung up on the term 'top 4', but it's not top 4 which people are after, it's progression - rewind 15-20 years and we wanted to stop being a mid table side and to become a top 6 Uefa Cup side, now we're best of the rest we want to be part of the top 4 and title challengers, once there we'll want to be title winners and so on.

as for Levy not reinvesting money in players i think you might want to reacquaint yourself with our finances over his time here - we generally break even each season meaning every pound the club makes gets reinvested back in to it - more money from the CL + more money invested back in = stronger club

You're right. Qualifying for the CL and then going out at the group stage, or even the QFs, gets you nothing but cobwebs in the trophy cabinet. There's no shiny cup for "Best Loser".

However, what it will get you is a higher profile, which in turn means more advertising revenue (as well as a heap more cash for playing the games) and, perhaps most importantly, make you more attractive to top players. Nobody ever dreamt of playing for Stoke against FC Pigfarmer in the Europa League. It's all about walking out at the Bernabeu with Zardok the Priest blaring. While we're never going to get mercenaries picking up their vast paycheques at the Lane, we want to get young hungry players looking at Tottenham as a possible destination.

Would we have got Dele Alli if there wasn't CL at the end of the tunnel? Modric? Eriksen?

i think people get hung up on the term 'top 4', but it's not top 4 which people are after, it's progression - rewind 15-20 years and we wanted to stop being a mid table side and to become a top 6 Uefa Cup side, now we're best of the rest we want to be part of the top 4 and title challengers, once there we'll want to be title winners and so on.

as for Levy not reinvesting money in players i think you might want to reacquaint yourself with our finances over his time here - we generally break even each season meaning every pound the club makes gets reinvested back in to it - more money from the CL + more money invested back in = stronger club

I stick with what I said. Spurs are amongst the lowest net spenders on players in the prem. Although we have progressed significantly since the arrival of Harry, there have been times where an extra injection of cash in the players department would have advanced our progress more quickly. Unfortunately successive directors of football and managers have made so many poor signings, I believe Levy has been left hesitant to spend money. Regrettably Poch has continued with this trend

I stick with what I said. Spurs are amongst the lowest net spenders on players in the prem. Although we have progressed significantly since the arrival of Harry, there have been times where an extra injection of cash in the players department would have advanced our progress more quickly. Unfortunately successive directors of football and managers have made so many poor signings, I believe Levy has been left hesitant to spend money. Regrettably Poch has continued with this trend

We could always spend less on wages and more on transfer fees.

I'd be interested to know which players you think we have passed on that we could have got with higher bids/wages. The truth is we don't really know.

I think we've probably just about got what we could in most windows. As much as I would have loved a Griezmann for exmaple, the hard truth is that these players are always going to go to a 'super club' if at all.

Unless you completely overhaul your model and do a Emirates Marketing Project then you are always going to be flirting with the second tier players (admittedly we have faired poorly on some of these too).

I do however think there are good ones out there that might have been available, someone like Perisic for example. A player I rate highly and one that is surely better than some we've seen at the lane (and I don't think he's changed hands for a fortune). He did however move from Wolfsburg in Aug 2015 so that would have coincided with a non Champs Lge qualification for us. Sometimes its down to timing.

Disagree with this part. I think we've been a top four force for about the last three years now. We looked very good last season up until about mid April, then the wheels came off.

Were you relaxed and confident last season? Sure, we were a lock for top four.

Prior to that, our previous CL qualification came in a 1-0 nail biter at City in the second last game of the season. We punch above our financial weight most years, but a top four finish has hardly been a foregone conclusion. It still isn't this year, but there's an assured tone to Spurs overall play this season that sets us apart from other years when we were relying on weekly miracles from Gareth Bale.

Is treading on someone head worse than elbowing someone in the head (what ya think Mabbsie?)....both violent with unknown consequences.??

Is treading on someone head worse than elbowing someone in the head (what ya think Mabbsie?)....both violent with unknown consequences.??

It must be. Both players have now been charged with violent conduct. But here's a quote from The Guardian's report on the matter:

"Mings would receive a longer ban because stamping is considered a more serious offence. The FA said in a statement that it “has submitted a claim that the standard punishment that would otherwise apply for the misconduct committed by the Bournemouth defender is ‘clearly insufficient’”.

Regardless, it's a delicious state of affairs. A Made-For-Media Madness - big club, big star, big-mouthed manager ready to weigh in. Eyeballs and opinions galore.

And we go quietly about our business with nothing more controversial happening than a chipped fingernail from over-elaborate, hand-slapping goal celebrations.

I would say it is. You have more idea of the known consequences which are likely to be very dire by stamping on someone's head........likely death if done hard enough and it is also a generally rare but more violent appearance by comparison to a thrown elbow hence why the FA will give Mings more than 3 games. They both deserve a ban but despite the Mabbutt comparisons if you are trying to suggest that they are equal then we will respectfully disagree.

Back