• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The price of stuff

Was gonna say each but thought, no chance. It's rampant profiteering, all companies are taking advantage and artificially jacking prices up too. Good example was during Corona there was all of a sudden a container shortage what happens, price of containers sky rockets and the price is passed on to us idiots
Obviously along the chain of economics costs are passed on and someone is left holding the baby.... usually the end consumer.

Many companies would quickly fold if they didnt act in this way, yes there's wriggle room as (pointed out by @Lilbaz) there is limited tolerance of price pain a majority of end consumers can tolerate, dictated solely by how much money they have in their pocket.

The concerning thing over the last two(?) years is prices have increased vastly across the board in every sector. And it's worth remembering that each month's inflation figure is a comparison to the figure 12 months ago ...so although the government are patting themselves on the back that it is 4%, I should effing hope it is as we were hitting 10%+ during that period.(end of 22) Whatever they say, high inflation has continued on for far longer than they predicted.

What is bad (for us end consumer) is inflation is sticky. Prices may retreat along that economic chain BUT only will they be passed on if forced by demand dropping or competition.

Obviously along the chain of economics costs are passed on and someone is left holding the baby.... usually the end consumer.

Many companies would quickly fold if they didnt act in this way, yes there's wriggle room as (pointed out by @Lilbaz) there is limited tolerance of price pain a majority of end consumers can tolerate, dictated solely by how much money they have in their pocket.

The concerning thing over the last two(?) years is prices have increased vastly across the board in every sector. And it's worth remembering that each month's inflation figure is a comparison to the figure 12 months ago ...so although the government are patting themselves on the back that it is 4%, I should effing hope it is as we were hitting 10%+ during that period.(end of 22) Whatever they say, high inflation has continued on for far longer than they predicted.

What is bad (for us end consumer) is inflation is sticky. Prices may retreat along that economic chain BUT only will they be passed on if forced by demand dropping or competition.
So you don´t think that a lot of inflation at the moment hasn´t been caused by companies profiteering from the situation and its all "natural"?

4% on top of the 10% from this time last year.
I'm not good with numbers and often have to check and recheck and then check again just to be sure, it amazes me how many people do not see how much prices have increased in the last three years.
Do they not recall how much a grocery shop was? Or did they just not bother to look.

I'm not good with numbers and often have to check and recheck and then check again just to be sure, it amazes me how many people do not see how much prices have increased in the last three years.
Do they not recall how much a grocery shop was? Or did they just not bother to look.
I can't believe that nobody goes into the grocery shop now, and over the last 12 months or so and thought WTF.

So you don´t think that a lot of inflation at the moment hasn´t been caused by companies profiteering from the situation and its all "natural"?
I'm not sure if that's a separate question or a conclusion you've drawn from my post?.

But yes. There is definitely an element of that.

O2 keep sending me offers for contracts that increase by "RPI+3.9%". I understand price increases based on increased costs, therefore a fair increase would be the higher of RPI or 3.9%, but you can't have both you greedy bastards.

And these are in-contract increases. In-contract! fudge off. They are just on the take...

O2 keep sending me offers for contracts that increase by "RPI+3.9%". I understand price increases based on increased costs, therefore a fair increase would be the higher of RPI or 3.9%, but you can't have both you greedy bastards.

And these are in-contract increases. In-contract! fudge off. They are just on the take...
You say they are sending offers? Is that for a new contract or are they intending on increasing the one you are currently on?

I think that indicates they're struggling because of their own cost increases (not helped by increased wage demands from staff looking to cover the big increases in their own personal finances...a vicious spiral, innit.) The reason I say this, is the mobile industry is terribly competitive and price sensitive, it takes little to jump ship. So unless the mobiles act as a cartel, it's dangerous for an individual company to out price themselves against the competition.

The other aspect that has hit mobile suppliers is a greater number of people are happy to buy their own phone (or keep a phone beyond their contract end)...and jump on a monthly rolling contract. Mid price smartphones have facilitated this.

The latter, still the latter.

What's the point? Can't not have food, so just buy it and be done with it.

You say they are sending offers? Is that for a new contract or are they intending on increasing the one you are currently on?

I think that indicates they're struggling because of their own cost increases (not helped by increased wage demands from staff looking to cover the big increases in their own personal finances...a vicious spiral, innit.) The reason I say this, is the mobile industry is terribly competitive and price sensitive, it takes little to jump ship. So unless the mobiles act as a cartel, it's dangerous for an individual company to out price themselves against the competition.

The other aspect that has hit mobile suppliers is a greater number of people are happy to buy their own phone (or keep a phone beyond their contract end)...and jump on a monthly rolling contract. Mid price smartphones have facilitated this.
My dad asked me to look at some mobile deals for him the other day, I cannot see why anyone would take a phone on a contract now.

For any phone I could find on any contract, it was consistently 10-20% cheaper to buy the phone and have a monthly deal.

My dad asked me to look at some mobile deals for him the other day, I cannot see why anyone would take a phone on a contract now.

For any phone I could find on any contract, it was consistently 10-20% cheaper to buy the phone and have a monthly deal.
Because, shock horror, many people can't afford a phone outright and most of their possessions are borrowed on credit.

I think that increase is standard now isn't it, whoever the provider?

Very true. I wonder how many of them keep their phone for longer than their 24 month contract though?
Very few. The perceived need to upgrade your phone every year or two puts paid to that idea. A broken notion mind you.

We need to invest in a phone (device) that lasts decades and can be upgraded. Disposal culture is ugliest in the mobile phone industry, imo.

Very true. I wonder how many of them keep their phone for longer than their 24 month contract though?
I bought the phone and am sim only, monthly etc. They are trying to get me on a contract, but it is higher cost than I use and locked in. I don't care about phones though and couldn't give a brick what others have etc... But then I am mid 40s.

I bought the phone and am sim only, monthly etc. They are trying to get me on a contract, but it is higher cost than I use and locked in. I don't care about phones though and couldn't give a brick what others have etc... But then I am mid 40s.
Plenty of shopping around to be had if your SIM only....are you SIM only monthly rolling?

Back