• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Press-Resistant CM Thread

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
It looks as if our main focus this window is to replace Ndombele with a new press-resistant CM. Someone without a bit of an explosive dribble, but a quicker passer than Skipp or Hojberg

Strong links so far to:
- Leandro Paredes
- Franck Kessie
- Florian Grillitsch

Bissouma has fans on here, but he maybe looks Villa bound

Any views on how would be best for that role? Any other options out there?

Little article here about how they've replaced passing CMs over the last decade as the sought after trait: https://statsbomb.com/2019/01/the-rise-of-press-resistant-midfielders/
Chelsea, Liverpool, City (unless you class De Bruyne a CM), Utd, Arsenal, West Ham…. I can’t think of any Prem teams that play with a Dembele type press resistant CM?

Modric in Spain obviously, maybe others abroad, but in the Prem? Would be great if there was another Dembele somewhere, but as proved with Ndombele, it’s not that easy.

Chelsea, Liverpool, City (unless you class De Bruyne a CM), Utd, Arsenal, West Ham…. I can’t think of any Prem teams that play with a Dembele type press resistant CM?

Modric in Spain obviously, maybe others abroad, but in the Prem? Would be great if there was another Dembele somewhere, but as proved with Ndombele, it’s not that easy.
Every single Emirates Marketing Project midfield player is press resistant. Both Jorginho and Kovacic at Chelsea are as well.

I’d love us to chuck £250 to £300k a week at Brozovic this summer.

Every single Emirates Marketing Project midfield player is press resistant. Both Jorginho and Kovacic at Chelsea are as well.

I’d love us to chuck £250 to £300k a week at Brozovic this summer.
I don’t think Rodri, Gundogen or Fernandinho are particularly press resistant in themselves, it’s the movement and tactics of City that means they always have options to pass to. If you put any of those players in a different team then they wouldn’t and don’t look press resistant.

i disagree on Jorginho as well. Jorginho is more of a poor mans Pirlo type, a passer.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love us to find someone who is.

I don’t think Rodri, Gundogen or Fernandinho are particularly press resistant in themselves, it’s the movement and tactics of City that means they always have options to pass to. If you put any of those players in a different team then they wouldn’t and don’t look press resistant.

i disagree on Jorginho as well. Jorginho is more of a poor mans Pirlo type, a passer.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love us to find someone who is.
I remember when dele pressed Jorginho and so did son at Wembley. He just kept on kicking the ball out of play

The only one of those mentioned who we have genuinely been linked with is Kessie… he is a box to box midfielder and good with the ball but not like the players being described as press resistant (horrible description by the way).
In fact I’d argue kante is most press resistant midfielder in the league when fit because he never loses the ball. Admittedly it’s because he wins it and keeps it simple but he rarely if ever loses the ball

Ndombele is press resistant, but not very much comes from it.
We've rarely played him in midfield and when we have it's been under fearful coaches who seem more concerned with what happens if he loses the ball as opposed to what he could possibly do with it.

Since Poch was sacked there hasn't truly been a good fit for him here. Even under Poch it's debatable how well he would have ever fitted into Poch's rather functional style midfield. I'm not shocked as he's always comes across as a bit of a luxury midfielder that we are unable or unwilling to build a midfield around and that is what would be needed to get the best out of him.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It looks as if our main focus this window is to replace Ndombele with a new press-resistant CM. Someone without a bit of an explosive dribble, but a quicker passer than Skipp or Hojberg

Strong links so far to:
- Leandro Paredes
- Franck Kessie
- Florian Grillitsch

Bissouma has fans on here, but he maybe looks Villa bound

Any views on how would be best for that role? Any other options out there?

None of them are press-resistant.

Leandro Paredes - slow, best as a deep-lying playmaker. Loses the ball when pressed.
Franck Kessie - can dribble a bit, but also loses the ball a lot and is best as a superior version of Hojbjerg, a destroyer.
Florian Grillitsch - best with lots of time on the ball. Loses the ball when pressed.

Press-resistant in the mould of a player like Dembele, able to turn out of trouble? There's only one player out there like him right now, and that's Mateo Kovacic - a player I desperately wanted us to sign in 2017 and 2018, but, y'know.

Press-resistant in the sense of being able to move the ball quickly? The player we should be looking at right now is Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon - a magnificent player who can do everything, defensively and offensively. All-action, press-resistant midfielder, also captain of Lyon in his early 20's.

He's even available in January - Lyon are asking 35-45m for him.

If we had vision, we'd be aiming for that calibre of player. But we won't, because Steve 'I hate January' Hitchen is still unaccountably at the club and is thus indicative of the absolutely terrible state of our scouting.

Sounds like good progress is being made with signing Kessie. We won't solve all our problems this window, however that signing would be a good start

None of them are press-resistant.

Leandro Paredes - slow, best as a deep-lying playmaker. Loses the ball when pressed.
Franck Kessie - can dribble a bit, but also loses the ball a lot and is best as a superior version of Hojbjerg, a destroyer.
Florian Grillitsch - best with lots of time on the ball. Loses the ball when pressed.

Press-resistant in the mould of a player like Dembele, able to turn out of trouble? There's only one player out there like him right now, and that's Mateo Kovacic - a player I desperately wanted us to sign in 2017 and 2018, but, y'know.

Press-resistant in the sense of being able to move the ball quickly? The player we should be looking at right now is Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon - a magnificent player who can do everything, defensively and offensively. All-action, press-resistant midfielder, also captain of Lyon in his early 20's.

He's even available in January - Lyon are asking 35-45m for him.

If we had vision, we'd be aiming for that calibre of player. But we won't, because Steve 'I hate January' Hitchen is still unaccountably at the club and is thus indicative of the absolutely terrible state of our scouting.
He came up on the Tifo video as the perfect signing

Back