• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The post transfer window discussion

LutonSpurs

Eric Dear
Lugash submitted a new blog post

Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them​

Following the close of the transfer window, the general consensus amongst Spurs fans is that the club has, as ever, fallen short. The criticism reads that the Chairman has failed to back the manager and a Champions League place (now) a pipedream. The Supporters' Trust has asked for a "credible explanation from THFC’s Board to address the genuine concerns of supporters". Well, I might not be on the Board, but the answer is very simple – the club has learned its lesson.

Ever since the catastrophic summer of 2013, Spurs have been in recovery. Seven players with immediate first team ambitions were brought into the squad, with the vast majority of people shouting 'too many, too soon'. The squad was left bloated, unbalanced and the Board played a dangerous game, overseeing a seismic shift from British to foreign players. It all failed spectacularly. There was no discernible plan and the squad a shambles.

This summer, the club has been the antithesis - clinical and systematic. The spending has addressed the two weakest areas of the squad – the defence and the lack of pace - and quite remarkably, all the dross has been weeded out for good value. That is impressive.

Toby Alderweireld has come in as first choice and Kieran Trippier and Kevin Wimmer as squad players. The three can only be an improvement on the woefully inadequate Younes Kaboul and Vlad Chiriches. The upshot of the signings also being that they have allowed Eric Dier to move into the central midfield, offering a level of steal that Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb simply can't. One would expect a marked improvement in the defence. The Board has done its job here.

Likewise, Son Heung-min and Clinton Njie will bring some much needed pace to the team, with the former expected to be first choice, and the less experienced latter given more leeway. The dynamism the two are thought to offer will be a welcome departure from the effective but labouring Nacer Chadli and wasteful Erik Lamela. It has been a crying shame to watch the brilliance of Harry Kane's link up play and Christian Eriksen's creativity stifled with no players running ahead of them. Things become very interesting when tempo is aligned with ingenuity. Moreover, with both new signings able, to some extent, play up front, the fears of solely relying on Harry Kane should be allayed somewhat.

The squad is by no means perfect, with an experienced defensive midfielder and genuine striker cover both needed, but there has been some serious progression. For the first time in two years, it feels like Tottenham are moving forward with a clear plan of how the team is going to play and who they need to implement it. Eighteen players have departed, none of whom were first team players, with five arrivals, two of whom expected to be first team players. This is what measured improvement looks like.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, the Tottenham Supporters' Trust, with their clamour for more signings, need to sit down, take a moment and reassess.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Son and Njie could be excellent additions but we're woefully short of CFs. If Kane gets injured, we're screwed. We dont even have ay decent young CFs coming through. Even a dealine day, cheap as chips, golden oldie panic buy would have been better than nothing. Or even a Frazier Campbell type signing! Astonishing that we've left ourselves so vulnerable to one players fitness

GK - good, kept Lloris.

Defense - better than it was last season, Toby and Trippier good additions (especially Toby, who was one of the best CBs in the PL last season), Wimmer the characteristic 'unknown' punt but might work out. Fazio not being shifted leaves us with deadwood still to clear out, however. - 7/10

Midfield - cleared out a lot of deadwood, failed miserably to bring in the DM we all knew we needed, Bentaleb's started the season in bad form, and Eriksen's injury sounds ominous. Failure here, big failure. - 3/10

Attacking Midfield - wide - Son and N'Jie good additions (especially Son, who had a record of success at the top of the Bundesliga, and was bought for a big fee from a CL side - the type of signing we should be making a few more of), Lamela and Pritchard good options to have as wide playmakers who cut in, Townsend a bit peripheral (and likely to be sold in January/next year unless he really upsets the apple cart). - 7/10

Striker - Failed, failed, failed. Just have Harry, no one else, and couldn't even let Ade go. 3/10 (and we only get three for keeping Kane around).

Total - 20/40, bang average......but better than last year.

Last edited:
No good can come from this thread.

Overall its was OK. I think we have a squad better equipped for EL than PL.
Our squad reminds me of a good French or German side.

Key needs going to window

- Get rid of deadwood/non team players - B+
- Improve Defense - B+
- Improve midfield - C (with potential to adjust based on Son/Njie's impact)
- Improve Striker force - F

We have made the team more solid, we have young players a year on, a team that got 5th last year.

Our striking options are terrible now, if we had known this was the end, I would have actually kept Bobby ...

I'd rank it as a C.

If it turns out that Son can play at #9 in a pinch then fine, I'll be happy enough, but if not then we need Chadli to up his game.

farce.

the fact we didnt get a striker in and waited mid august to actually get an attacking player in is a joke.

im sure levy will be happy with his profit.. build stadium.. sell..

i feel for poch

To be honest we got rid of Capoue, Paulinho and Kaboul so I'm happy. I even would've been happy keeping Ade after he made all the right noises in the summer but I think with all that's been revealed about his demands, it just burns his bridges even more so.
Sad to see Lennon leave though.

farce.

the fact we didnt get a striker in and waited mid august to actually get an attacking player in is a joke.

im sure levy will be happy with his profit.. build stadium.. sell..

i feel for poch

You know what Poch wanted and what he's thinking now?

I think it's a good idea for a thread, keep it in one place.

There is always the excitement of deadline day and not signing someone can be an anti-climax (it's fun and stressful!).

But I am like most, concerned that cover for Kane wasn't signed (not even sure Bera would have been that player). I don't know enough about Son, but perhaps they do view him as that player? It will need to be someone who can step in rather than just be someone who is pure cover. I'm thinking of the youth set-up (Kane was in there not so long ago) but can't think of anyone. There are freebies like Berba out their - but that's not gonna happen imp.

Midfield I'm less stressed about - I like Dier there (play him up front!) and we seem to have an abundance of central midfield players in the youth ranks. We've sent our Serb out on loan so that's a shame. If we can get Witsel signed in January then perhaps it will be worth the wait. Carroll is still on the books which is interesting...

Defence is sorted. I know there is opinion that Davies isn't suited to Poch's regime and not like for like with Rose. KWP seems to be moving up the ranks and it will be good to see him get some game time in Europa. We've always got Verts too.

Pace - This was one of my concerns and Nigel seems to cover some aspect of it. Yedlin out to Sunderland is very good for all concerned.

As mentioned, we've kept our core and Lloris has not signed for United (perhaps due to their fax machine).

I think January is going to be a very good window for us - we'll have a better idea of our needs (hopefully Kane won't have blown a fuse).

Aaaaand... we still have Ade and Azza... who knows...

We still need a better striker than Kane. To have gone from Klinsmann, Kanoute, Defoe, Berbatov, Keane to Kane is worrying .. In short the Spurs' attack worries me.

I'm fairly happy.

A lot of brick cleared

A lot of exciting players in

A lot will though depend on Son and Njie, and the continued development of our homegrowers

I'd've preferred an additional CF and a CM

I'd've preferred Ade, Fazio, Dembele, Lamela and Carroll gone too. We are particularly bloated at AM - with 9 players for 3 spots

7/10 for me.

The positives:

Kept Lloris and Kane, who many predicted we're going to be sold, along with the rest of the first team squad

Shifted most the deadwood

Spent 30m+ strengthening our attack, which was the best outside the top 4 last season, both signings appear to have that much needed attribute : pace

Strengthened our leaky defence with 3 signings, two of which are off the back of impressive seasons in the Premier League.

The negatives :

No real back up for Kane

No genuine first choice CM signed

Adebayor still being paid by the club.

We can't avoid the fact we have no like for like back up for Kane, it's a big issue and one which could cause problems for us - however on paper a lot of issues from last season have been addressed and if Dier continues how he has started the season then the CM situation won't be an issue.

If this is the window that makes Levy realise that leaving your main transfer target until the last hours of the window is a ridiculous idea, I'll give it an A+. Is there actually an explanation for why we choose to do this ?!

Aside from that, the players sold have been good business and very pleased with the ones that have come.

Toby, very good signing. Trippier, strong competition for Walker, Wimmer and N'Jie low risk that could turn out to be stars. We don't know. Will be refreshing to have a genuinely two footed player behind Kane too in Son. A big improvement on what we have in my eyes.

Biggest positive - Lloris is still with us.

Disappointing that there is a glaring hole in the DM and ST spot though.

Back