• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The overrated films thread

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
All down to personal choice obviously, but here are some of my choices:

American Beauty. How it beat The Green Mile and The Sixth Sense at the oscars I'll never know.
Shakespeare In Love. They say the mark of a great film is if it stands the test of time, which it certainly hasn't. You rarely see it on tv either terrestrial or Sky.
Slumdog Millionaire.
Once Upon A Time In America. Just a poor mans Goodfather if you ask me.
Titanic.
Avatar. Visually stunning but didn't care about any of the characters at all.

American Beauty is better than both Green Mile and The Sixth Sense that's why ;)

Full Metal Jacket

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

sixth sense is a good shout

not sure who rates Shakespeare in Love though Jurgen for it to be over rated ?

i would have put Inception, Milhouse, but ive done it to death in the film thread already, is a boring pile of gash though tbf ;)

Last edited:
i would have put Inception, Milhouse, but ive done it to death in the film thread already, is a boring pile of gash though tbf ;)
I don't think I can bear another "It's miles up its own arse", "no, you just have to be intelligent to get it" type argument :D

same here.

Harry Brown - i hated this movie so much, masquerading as a social commentary and got it so wrong - so many things i could pick apart

Interesting list but I would personally keep Slumdog Millionaire and American Beauty out of that list. I think it's hard for Avatar not to be overrated as is marked down as the first 3D movie and so because it's a good film, it's going to get a lot more hype with the 3D effect.

As for Slumdog Millionaire, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was worth the praise that it received. I've always enjoyed American Beauty too, I think it's a better film than the other two you mentioned and would say that it was the Sixth Sense which was overrated out of the three of the films; beyond the twist at the end, how is it really a remarkable film?

I would want to suggest a type of film which I think is overrated; the type of film you watched as a kid and thought 'WOW that film is cool' and still like it now but only for those reasons. I would say that Ferris Bueller's Day Off fits the bill, under that description, perfectly. A film that so many had told me was good and yet, when I watched it, I thought it was crap. I think a lot of it is the nostalgia factor but people talk up the films more than they deserve. I would wonder what the modern generation would make of films like Labyrinth and Princess Bride, do they enjoy them? Or do we only like them because we grew up with them?

I thought that King of Comedy was rubbish but I'm not overly sure whether it was meant to be all that good?

Blair Witch Project is another of the overhyped and not very good films that exists. Outside of the folklore, and the way that the film was recorded, it adds nothing and is not a great film to watch away from the cinema where the film has even less of an impact.

Erm, I think of more to add I'm sure.

Once Upon a Time in America definitely, far too drawn out for my liking.

Breakfast Club - my brother is 35 and he said it's one of his favourite films. I thought it was a bit of a snore-fest from start to finish, really really boring. Probably had to be around at the time.

Inception - not gonna go into it, been done to death.

Once Upon a Time in America definitely, far too drawn out for my liking.

Breakfast Club - my brother is 35 and he said it's one of his favourite films. I thought it was a bit of a snore-fest from start to finish, really really boring. Probably had to be around at the time.

Inception - not gonna go into it, been done to death.

Sounds like it falls in to the grouping that I mentioned. I guess people growing up in that era can relate to it more? Or have attached more memories to the film.

but surely today's generation loves The Goonies ??

I'd hope so but they probably have their own version of the Goonies. A different film which they think is superb but that we would look at and think WTF. Although perhaps it's similar with music, in that you can respect certain stuff but not others?

probably not enough CGI to appeal to young kids nowadays thinking about it - poor bastards will never get to appreciate movies like Honey i Shrunk the Kids

- Little Miss Sunshine
- Sideways
- Lost in Translation
- Terminator 2 (the first one was far better)

Lost in translation is overrated tripe...

Agree with this entirely.

Watched Clockwork Orange yesterday and was fairly bored and revolted. Fair enough it's affecting and that's what art may be for but when the effect is faint revulsion well..... Reminded me of being a kid and being given something very unappealing to eat. The way they talk and prance about in it is the height of pretension as well.

Indeed very subjective. Tricky because we are talking about films that we have watched both a year ago and some maybe 25-30 years ago depending on our age. Many films require you to see them at an 'age' and in their historical context. There are certainly those films that stand the test of time, those films that are timeless as as they represent a time before the viewers existence or indeed well into the future. I don't think speial effects make too much difference but you have to work harder to get kids to sit down and watch movies they are unlikely to have heard of. (ET, Time Bandits, Goonies, etc etc). They get advertised to as well and none of these will crop up unless remade.

I actually enjoyed Lost in Translation but I am a sucker for most things Japanese, Bill Murray and Scarlet Johannson. It was not laugh a minute, it was not action packed but it ticked boxes for me as the viewer. It resonated because I have been in hotels in similar situations and could in some ways relate. Once Upon a Time in America is among a long list of films I really enjoyed. It was good enough to hold my attention, epic in it's span and you could invest in the characters. Also I enjoyed seeing Jennifer Connellygetting changed in my formative years. Avatar was watchable and naturally visually impressive but meh.

Tinker, Tailor I found hard work due to the measured pace at which it unfolded but you were able to just revel in some of the characters and sit back and endure it. In saying that I watched it tired, inebriated and therefore struggled. I'd need to do it again at some stage to give it a proper go. That said I don't think anything is overrated. You either enjoy it or you don't. The more a film is hyped, marketed or enjoyed the greater the feeling of disappointment if you don't enjoy it.

Back