• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official 'No OOMT for Sheriff?' OMT ***

This, I'm really not enjoying this season at all, with the talent we have we should be flying at teams and ripping them apart. Instead it is all incredibly slow and beyond tedious. I know all the stats etc, but honestly this kind of football is sleep inducing.

is there anything to be said for the fact we've had a huge turnover of players? i know it's a drum which gets bashed a lot on here but i think it's still a valid point and one which i feel some posters don't really take in to consideration, of course that then brings the question - was it right to make so many changes in one go?

at times we have looked a good side this season - Cardiff, Norwich, earlier EL games/LC and in patches during several other games including a fantastic first half against Chelsea - in these instances we have looked like a real team who can pass and move/create and keep possession whilst also being strong in defense. it's early in to the new teams time together and i think there has been enough to suggest we can still be hopeful of finding some form of consistent performances - it's just that rather than going cavalier and looking to improve the defensive aspect later on we're taking a more steady approach and looking to improve our creativity/attacking as the players bed in.

i think there's enough new faces here in attack (Soldado Eriksen Townsend Chadli/Lamela Paulhino) for us to give them time - Sigurdsson Dembele and Lennon are the only the ones in the attacking positions who have been here longer than 1 full season and they have only been here for two - so you know, the new signings weren't walking in to what you'd call a settled environment anyway - add that to the sheer number of new arrivals and then i think it's only fair to hold off on any damning conclusions just yet.

It wasn't an attack. You are AVB's biggest champion on this forum, so I can understand why you are continually sticking up for him even though, in my opinion, the evidence points to the contrary on a lot of things.

Does it take time for a Manager to come in and change the playing style ethos at a club? Of course it does. About a month.

If Hoddle, Venables or even Redknapp became our Manager tomorrow then I am 100% sure that by the end of November we'd be playing faster, flowing, more attractive football than we are now. Would the results be as good? That I can't say.

But what I can say is that we've been a bloody good team now for years, and therefore the demands on a new manager coming in are a lot higher than before. The expectations are higher because the quality of players he inherited was excellent. People, possibly correctly, state that with so many new players it is going to take time to gel. My argument back to that is the same as last season. Even with Modric and then Bale's departure did we really NEED to bring in so many new faces to improve on a team that was already top five quality? I say no. So if the current problem is too many new faces requiring a bedding in period, then I firmly lay that on the managers doorstep too. I just hope it doesn't cost us top four, because I genuinely believe it did last season.

Brendan Rogers improved Liverpool's style of play in less than half a season.

I think we needed depth in certain positions, our lack of backup for Lennon and Bale has cost us for years. We needed a goalscoring midfielder too. As for signing too many players? Remains to be seen, my biggest concern is who AVB is going to keep all of the players happy, playing them in the Europa and not many league games just won't cut it.

it is surprising how many posters seem to be totally ambivalent towards the EL yet at the same time hyper critical of the performances. this is our first 'bad' performance of the cup so far (if memory serves) Russia wasn't great tbf but away games in these far flung countries rarely are

It's the performances that people are concerned with, similar to last season really. We were getting results without playing that well for the most, we were doing just about what we had to to win games, or Bale would rescue us with a wondergoal. It's a results business so I'm not going to complain too much, would I accept 4th place playing this style of football? Hell yes I would. But people are naturally worried about our lack of goals and our performances in general which COULD lead to us becoming unstuck, we could also keep on winning, we simply don't know.

I'm not a fan of the Europa League. Obviously we have to try and do well in the competition to improve our coefficient and I the tournament does come alive to an extent in the knockout rounds. But I find these round of games so painfully dull, what do you learn playing the likes of Sheriff and Tromso? If you win the games people will say "oh well it's only Sheriff". If you asked me which cup tournaments I would rather win out of the 3 we are in, I would say the FA Cup hands down.

I think Spurs fans have a tendancy to try and talk up this competition into something it's not "The Champions League is overrated" etc. We look iffy in some of these games and people point to it and say look there's proof it's a good competition, but I believe it's more us playing badly. We shouldn't be conceeding so many chances against teams like Sheriff.

So, another win chalked up, then. 2-0 after a deflected long-range strike by Defoe. I recorded the game, and watched the first half, but I couldn't actually bring myself to pay real attention to the second 45, I found the first period such a frustrating and somehow depressing experience. Why do I feel this way, I ask myself, when we seem to be getting results? Is this the start of a mid-life crisis? It seems disproportionate, I know—and yet the uneasiness persists. It looked to me as though we were fortunate to keep a clean sheet over there, to say the least.

What I think I found most disturbing about tonight's offering was the way it seemed to echo the less illustrious elements of our domestic league performance. Not only did we labour to create the merest of clear-cut chances, even against an unremarkable side like Sheriff, but almost nothing about our game seemed to be convincingly joined up. Frustration, not anticipation, was the overriding emotion. The movement ahead of the ball appeared absolutely non-existent, everything in the final third seemed to be backs-to-goal in front of a wall of defenders and the unforced error count was frightening. We were actually misplacing 10-yard passes by margins of about 30 degrees at times. There seems to be a great insufficiency of composure.

I may be a bit tired and emotional just now, and no doubt I need to pick myself up and shake myself down with a night's sleep, but I'll say this, I don't think we are going to be anywhere near the top four this season unless there are some very dramatic improvements in these key areas.

the 50 million loan guarantee that was all over the Spurs forums, a loan that even you are so sure about, and you are telling me that no-one else in the football world knows about it?

I look forward to January then because we should see a big chunk of this mysterious and secret 50 mill loan being spent

Why? Unless we can get the players who fit what we need, why spend it?

I don't mind admitting I have been absolutely flabbergasted at some of what I've read tonight.
I believe that no-one is beyond criticism. AVB included. I was not quiet in stating the obvious with regards to West Ham and his role in what was a day filled with mistakes, starting with the starting 11.

But I have to say, some of the criticism this guy, and his sides, get is baffling. As if his face doesn't fit. Tonight he uses the squad, we win away again, we don't concede (talk about luck all you like but equally, talk about some excellent defending) and continue a record of all clean sheets in the tournament thus far, and generally put in a very solid, workman's performance without getting injuries and some people are complaining.

I don't know...it isn't Van Der Vaart and Bale, but before anyone gets their rose-tinted speccies out, I'd like to remind folks that when Crouchy was around, the ball spent a lot of time being smacked 30-40 yards in the air towards his head (even though he's better with his feet!!!!)...

Yeah, I cannot believe it really. Amazing. No goals conceded in the Europa. Probably out best clean sheet record at this stage of a season in GHod knows how many seasons. 3 points off the top and hanging with the front-runners comfortably enough. Bedding in new players still. And with one of the most exciting players in British football tearing it up week in, week out...I have seen three goals this season which I believe are three of the best goals I have seen at Spurs in many years. I see (frustratingly) a LOT of chances still being missed, but we're simply not conceding nearly as much.

I dunno. I find it very very ****ing hard to complain right now.

I don't mind admitting I have been absolutely flabbergasted at some of what I've read tonight.
I believe that no-one is beyond criticism. AVB included. I was not quiet in stating the obvious with regards to West Ham and his role in what was a day filled with mistakes, starting with the starting 11.

But I have to say, some of the criticism this guy, and his sides, get is baffling. As if his face doesn't fit. Tonight he uses the squad, we win away again, we don't concede (talk about luck all you like but equally, talk about some excellent defending) and continue a record of all clean sheets in the tournament thus far, and generally put in a very solid, workman's performance without getting injuries and some people are complaining.

I don't know...it isn't Van Der Vaart and Bale, but before anyone gets their rose-tinted speccies out, I'd like to remind folks that when Crouchy was around, the ball spent a lot of time being smacked 30-40 yards in the air towards his head (even though he's better with his feet!!!!)...

Yeah, I cannot believe it really. Amazing. No goals conceded in the Europa. Probably out best clean sheet record at this stage of a season in GHod knows how many seasons. 3 points off the top and hanging with the front-runners comfortably enough. Bedding in new players still. And with one of the most exciting players in British football tearing it up week in, week out...I have seen three goals this season which I believe are three of the best goals I have seen at Spurs in many years. I see (frustratingly) a LOT of chances still being missed, but we're simply not conceding nearly as much.

Agreed. And while there is obviously room for improvement the future is bright and Lillywhite!
Steff, what are the three goals of which you speak?

Agreed. And while there is obviously room for improvement the future is bright and Lillywhite!
Steff, what are the three goals of which you speak?

Siggy's two against Norwich and Chelski plus Soldado's against Villa...though I have to say, Paulinho's at Cardiff was absolutely delicious!

Siggy's two against Norwich and Chelski plus Soldado's against Villa...though I have to say, Paulinho's at Cardiff was absolutely delicious!

All pearlers. The way Soldado won the initial ball, made the move into space and killed it was an assassin's steely glare was fab.

Agreed.

And if good defending is being mentioned remember last night we played away to a team that sat 10 men in their final third stiffling any creativity we could produce and then hit hopeful balls into the channel for Rucannor and Isa to run on to. I can't remember watching such a well drilled formation as the one Sherrif used last night it was like watching a table football team the way they moved in unison across the pitch in straight lines.

Happy with the win and clean sheet. But I think everyone underestimated Sheriff. They played really well and almost outclassed us ! If they had a decent striker or two, they could have scored 4 or 5 goals ! We got complacent and thought we could just go there and win. But Sheriff proved there are not going to be any easy games for us this season. It seems all the clubs lift their games against us, atleast in patches. Fortunately, AVB fielded a strong team and that decided the game in our favour.

Well done to Defoe for scoring yet another Cup goal and becoming our joint top scorer in Europe with Martin Chivers. I think Defoe's achievement is more remarkable considering we didn't achieve much in Europe over the years. Just wish Defoe can be equally as clinical in league matches. Really disappointed about Lamela. Thought he will lift his game to show his worth but he didn't do anything of note. And he looked very down when he got replaced. It is clear Lamela badly needs to score a goal to lift his confidence. I was disappointed Adebayor didn't get to play a part. Was looking forward to see if he can improve attacks but it was not to be. I think if not for the injury to Fryers, AVB might have brought on Adebayor late in the game.

I think our midfield were a big letdown in this match. With Sandro and Dembele in midfield, though we will win the midfield battle easily. Instead Sheriff had far too much possession and attacked our goal far easily. In contrast, we didn't create many chances for out attacks. Expected more contribution from Eriksen but he didn't make much impact. Eriksen did well to create the first goal for Vertonghen but he was largely anonymous apart from that. He did create the chance for Lennon who should have done better with the one-on-one chance in the first half. Lennon was also unlucky not to score as his shot hit the post in the second half. Still not impressed with Chadli but thought our attacks improved when he came on. Chadli did get the assist for Defoe's goal.

Credit for the defence for keeping another clean sheet. Ofcourse Sheriff were unlucky not to score atleast 1 goal as they had many chances. Chiriches seems to have good skills but he needs to concentrate more in defence. He did well to make a goal line clearance but thought he made too many mistakes. Maybe he will need more time to settle in at Spurs. Due credit to Vertonghen for scoring our first goal. Want to see him score more goals like that as he did early last season. Too bad we had to play Dawson as well. It means we had to play our entire first defence in this match. Hope they won't be too tired against Hull.

It is always a great feeling when we win, especially in Cup matches. Amazing thing is we have now scored 19 goals and not conceded any goals in 6 Cup matches so far this season. Hope we will continue that run further. We have not been outstanding in any matches but the win is the most important thing in Cup matches. Hope we will bring this form to the league matches.

No goals conceded in the Europa, on the cusp of qualification, sauntering around with our squad players, could've been three had Azza not hit the post...

...but doubtless someone will complain!!!!!!!!

Yes we won, and it was a great result, but were you really happy with the performance?

The acid test will come against Hull on Sunday.

Yes we won, and it was a great result, but were you really happy with the performance?

The acid test will come against Hull on Sunday.

This.

Good result of course, but how people can be happy with that performance I have no earthly idea. We could have conceded 4 or 5 in the first half alone against a championship level team.

This, I'm really not enjoying this season at all, with the talent we have we should be flying at teams and ripping them apart. Instead it is all incredibly slow and beyond tedious. I know all the stats etc, but honestly this kind of football is sleep inducing.

For a change, I agree with you. The football at the moment is turgid. If the results start to go against us as well, then it won't be a fun time for any of us. We have (apparently) a lot of flair players - Townsend, Lennon, Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen, Holtby, but move the ball sooooo slowly, they don't have a chance to demonstrate their talents because the opposition have time to reform, re-group and stifle them.

Pretty phenomenal start to the season
PALACE 1-0
DINAMO TBILISI 5-0
SWANSEA 1-0
DINAMO TBILISI 3-0
ARSENAL 0-1
NORWICH 2-0
TROMSO 3-0
CARDIFF 1-0
ASTON VILLA 4-0
CHELSEA 1-1
ANZHI 2-0
WEST HAM 0-3
ASTON VILLA 2-0
SHERIFF 2-0

Throw in the 10match unbeaten run at the back end of last season, and you have a run of only 2 defeats in the last 24 matches since the Fulham match on March 17th

Back