• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2023/24 Premier League Thread

Lets legitimately discuss that

1. Depth, every team has the problem, KDM & Rodri has seemingly fudged City who probably has the deepest depth of anyone in league. Reality is do you get lucky with injuries in areas you can cover? for us, most of our injuries are LW, where we have Perisic, Son, Richi, Solomon, Johnson who can play there, so 3 out actually was manageable. Being in only two competitions helps, and we will probably add to squad in January, so it's really short term risk

2. Liverpool is way more vulnerable, City & Arsenal are vulnerable, attacking sides are vulnerable, it's nature of being committed to attacks. I'd argue that the speed of our defenders (VDV, Udogie, Porro) and the fact that we make the center of pitch very congested protects us better than say Liverpool.

My view of concerns

- We still don't have experience, if this team made this start a year from now, I'd be a lot more comfortable. Son, Romero & Decki are the only ones with more than a full season playing for us and in PL. Manager similar
- We haven't figured out our style completely and how we adapt to each type of team we come up against
- Striker issue, is Son the answer?

The only difference between us and the "legitimate" top 4 contenders is the unknown factor (new squad, new manager), but even there, Spurs has been pretty consistent in/around top 4 for more than a decade, at this point it's disrespectful at best, ignorance at worst.

1. Depth - no disagreement every team has a problem. But in defencewe have Dier and Davies for VDV and Udogie. We have a bigger problem in depth compared to many title challengers. Still fixable in the coming transfer window of course but we've had difficulty moving deadwood and I will change my view accordingly

2. Defence - experience is part of it isn't it? One year later Ange and all the players will be wiser and maybe he will fix or adapt to teams that start to target porro at the back post.

Anyway I don't think the congested midfield protects anyone. We've seen our own players get seriously injured in training without any contact. And we shouldn't take past performacne for granted - Conte was doing well this time last season and I don't recall seeing anyone saying we'd see a collapse by the season's end.

Depth will be heavily tested in Decembers fixture congestion. We have Several mid week games with short turnaround, as there are 7 EPL fixtures in the month.

Same challenge for everyone else of course and some clubs have additional europe or league cup ties to fit in.

The only reason that O'Hara isn't the biggest roosterwomble in that clip is because Cundy is there.

O'Hara is the clown who absolutely slated us last season and said he was gonna stop watching and supporting us. O'Hara is the clown who during the summer said that our transfer business had been embarrassing and we were screwed having lost Kane. O'Hara is the sort of kneejerker who most people on here really don't like. His opinion counts for nothing IMO even though he played for us and clearly loves the club. He's an embarrassment.

The only reason that O'Hara isn't the biggest roosterwomble in that clip is because Cundy is there.

O'Hara is the clown who absolutely slated us last season and said he was gonna stop watching and supporting us. O'Hara is the clown who during the summer said that our transfer business had been embarrassing and we were screwed having lost Kane. O'Hara is the sort of kneejerker who most people on here really don't like. His opinion counts for nothing IMO even though he played for us and clearly loves the club. He's an embarrassment.

Talk Sport has really gone downhill in recent years (More than it was before). There has been an influx of terrible ex-player presenters (O'Hara, Agbonlahor, Bent, Keown, Akinfenwa, Lianne Sanderson etc.). They are all terrible to listen to and the only good shows left now are those that don't feature these ex-players, but they are all at weird times of the day.

Talk Sport has really gone downhill in recent years (More than it was before). There has been an influx of terrible ex-player presenters (O'Hara, Agbonlahor, Bent, Keown, Akinfenwa, Lianne Sanderson etc.). They are all terrible to listen to and the only good shows left now are those that don't feature these ex-players, but they are all at weird times of the day.

Yeah some of them are shocking. They're expressing opinions that I'd expect to hear on AFTV or something similar. I do find Simon Jordan, Martin O'Neill, Graeme Souness and Danny Murphy worth listening to. Don't always agree with them but there is a least a bit of originality and thought in their opinions. The ones you've mentioned above are awful I would say with the exception of Keown. While he is ridiculously biased towards Woolwich, I do find that he has interesting points of view on other stuff.

He sounds like the majority of Spurs fans if you ask me. Everyone was saying the same brick at some point.

He sounds like the majority of Spurs fans if you ask me. Everyone was saying the same brick at some point.

I don't think that's fair. People were disgruntled last year and fed up a bit. But I don't recall many on here, if any, threatening to stop watching us or stop supporting us. It certainly wasn't a majority who lashed our transfer business in the summer and there were lots on here who didn't see Kane's departure as the end of the world.

And, more importantly, O'Hara has a national platform. He should be a bit more balanced and responsible with his views.

I don't think that's fair. People were disgruntled last year and fed up a bit. But I don't recall many on here, if any, threatening to stop watching us or stop supporting us. It certainly wasn't a majority who lashed our transfer business in the summer and there were lots on here who didn't see Kane's departure as the end of the world.

And, more importantly, O'Hara has a national platform. He should be a bit more balanced and responsible with his views.

He is also an ex footballer who should be using his knowledge of the nuances. If he sounds like a fan I think thats poor as he should know better.

I’m not sure what forum you were looking at last season but there were a few who were saying exactly that in the match threads.

I’m not sure what forum you were looking at last season but there were a few who were saying exactly that in the match threads.

There were some, admittedly, but you said everyone was saying it. There were many who weren’t and, while I’d say people here were very frustrated, were able to keep that frustration in perspective.

As a media professional and knowledgable ex player, O’Hara should be able to do the same.

to be honest I think you have to give a bit of a pass in the match threads, or at least ignore some of the sentiment. A lot of it is the emotion of the moment. It doesn’t really excuse knee jerking but I wouldn’t take match thread comments as too representative of actual viewpoints. Other threads, yes.

Not that I disagree with your general point, but I’d be surprised if he believes everything he says. Talksport exists to wind people up to get phone calls. Real bottom of the barrel discourse (I’m sure you know this)

I was one of those who were merely gruntled.

May not have been vocal about this notion of Kane leaving but, yeah, you could see how narrow the funnel was becoming with everything seemingly having to go through Kane. Will always love what he has done for the club but change has been for the better.

We couldn't know what the solution would be until transfers began to kick in and Ange had time to implement his tactics but adding Maddison and freeing up Bissouma and Sarr to dribble forward and make plays has breathed new life into a broader approach into attacking and opened opportunities for more players. Who are responding favourably.

He's not the smartest tool in the box - luckily that isn't a prerequisite for being a football fan.
He's only said what a lot of other fans have said and felt.
Cundy however, well, he's just a vowel change away from being an adjective.

Back