• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2020/21 Premier League Thread

Bundesliga?

Two premier league titles?

Wont mention any cups as they don’t count of course, unless we win some this year and you have a change of heart :p

When they last won the league Emirates Marketing Project were being called the best Prem team ever, he has added to that every year and they have got worse and not even come close to winning the CL.

For me that's poor esp as Mancini and Pelegrini won titles there too

Biesla is getting hype and his eccentricity is fuelling it but he has influenced a lot of managers with his own style and the he has usually managed smaller teams who wouldn’t be expected to win things. I still think Poch is a better manager than Martinez despite the matter picking up a FA Cup.
For me the hype is on Pep, he inherited a great Barca team and he left after Mourinho managed to overhaul him in the league, Bayern win the league most seasons and won the CL before and after his tenure, City have won the league under previous managers too. He seems to have this mythical Pep way of playing, which to me is to buy expensive players and try and take the tinkle, unless it’s a CL away game when he overthinks it and fails to play to the attacking strengths that usually get them through most games.
Would like to see him manage a club that is not the richest in the league and take them to a level they haven’t reached previously.

I don’t entirely disagree re Pep but bielsa has won almost literally nothing in his career. All very influencing managers but the ones who did follow him took the important bits from his philosophy and ditched the rest. His teams are infamous for burning out at the end of the season.

I’d enjoy seeing him at PSG, getting done by the far superior manager at Marseilles on 1/10 of the budget.

Going by your own standards I.e. PL or CL and nothing else matters then AVB hasn’t achieved much in his career either. That Europa league title was nearly a decade ago and hasn’t come close to winning that or the CL since.

I don’t entirely disagree re Pep but bielsa has won almost literally nothing in his career. All very influencing managers but the ones who did follow him took the important bits from his philosophy and ditched the rest. His teams are infamous for burning out at the end of the season.

fair, but he has won a couple of league titles and an international tournament at least

Going by your own standards I.e. PL or CL and nothing else matters then AVB hasn’t achieved much in his career either. That Europa league title was nearly a decade ago and hasn’t come close to winning that or the CL since.

He’s above all that, he’s far more enlightened and open minded than me, he’s on a different level, moving the game forward for everyone.

He’s after a challenge, if he lowered himself to just take the money of Madrid, City or Bayern it’s a forgone conclusion he’d clean up.

He has managed different clubs though, the titles he won at Newell's were never expected i saw the documentary on him recently and they could have been some of their first, that achievement and that at Velez stand on their own compared to winning titles at Barce, Bayern and City. He is respected for what he did at Bilbao because he got them punching in a league that was dominated by other sides made more impressive because of their player restrictions.

Based on teams managed you can't compare the paths of Bielsa and Pep or their achievements

I always think of managers success is relative to their teams expectations at the beginning of the season (bookies not fans) and if they can do it at different clubs.

I do agree the burnout is an issue, the disruption last season may have done Leeds a massive favour and if this season runs normally it could be an issue. Burning out through over exertion may be addressed with a bigger squad, but losing matches against team with weaker players could mean it’s a tactical or mental issue.

I’m obviously very down on Fraudiola, but players do seem to like playing for him. Maybe both of them are too ideological, it’s just a little easier to cover the cracks with better players? They will do well to replace Aguero too, his annual injuries do level the playing field a little! There something on Pep’s personality that makes me think he won’t stick around if the going gets tough and maybe even do a Bjorn Borg and call it a day if he can’t remain number 1.

He has managed different clubs though, the titles he won at Newell's were never expected i saw the documentary on him recently and they could have been some of their first, that achievement and that at Velez stand on their own compared to winning titles at Barce, Bayern and City. He is respected for what he did at Bilbao because he got them punching in a league that was dominated by other sides made more impressive because of their player restrictions.

Based on teams managed you can't compare the paths of Bielsa and Pep or their achievements

Im not saying he’s not a good manager, just overhyped. He’s not won anything since the 90s. And Bilbao are a big club in their own right. They’re about the 4th - 5th most successful club in Spain.

Im not saying he’s not a good manager, just overhyped. He’s not won anything since the 90s. And Bilbao are a big club in their own right. They’re about the 4th - 5th most successful club in Spain.

Not sure he is hyped, he is just getting PR because Leeds came up. Its their time in the limelight.

He is obviously a very good manager or his peers wouldn't be the ones you hear talking so highly about

When they last won the league Emirates Marketing Project were being called the best Prem team ever, he has added to that every year and they have got worse and not even come close to winning the CL.

For me that's poor esp as Mancini and Pelegrini won titles there too

I would agree he has been shown up at times during his time here, particularly in the CL. I still think he deserves at least some credit for winning the trophies he has won in the style his teams play. He did get records points totals for Barcelona and Emirates Marketing Project which Mancini and Pelgrini didn’t manage. Domestically I think he’s got as much out of Emirates Marketing Project as he could have last season aside where they clearly underachieved. Yes he’s done it with money but so did Jose, Zidane and Klopp at Liverpool (not so much at Dortmund).

To be fair Bilbao hadn’t won anything since the 80s and he got them to two finals where they lost against Barca and Atleti.

I do understand the over hype thing being a turn off, it’s just a irresistible narrative for the media though, crazy genius managing lower down the league influences three respected coaches and I suspect it’s their references to him that led recent focus, add in the dirty Leeds back in the Prem it reaches saturation point.

Not sure he is hyped, he is just getting PR because Leeds came up. Its their time in the limelight.

He is obviously a very good manager or his peers wouldn't be the ones you hear talking so highly about

When he is compared and talked about in the same sentence with the likes of Pep who has won the lot at club level it’s wrong IMO when most of Bielsa’s success came two decades ago.

He must have something about him to get his teams competing to more than the sum of its parts. I just think a manager as hyped as he is would get his teams over the line more if he was up there with the real greats of the game. Instead, his teams seem to fatigue in the second half of the season as Leeds did in 2018/19. I think they got a massive favour with COVID giving them a break and the players had a chance to rest. I think most of the managers who cite him as a mentor or an influence took certain elements of his coaching style and ditched the stuff that didn’t work. The most similar IMO is poch whose teams also fall short at the final hurdle.

Back