• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2019/20 Premier League Thread

the sooner that 3pm rule goes the better, it’s holding back the PL and official streaming options

I think the 3pm rule needs to stay. Helps protection lower league and grass roots football. No reason why you cant spread the games out more and still protect this slot - you could easily have a Fri night game, 1230pm, 6pm and 8pm on Sat, 2-3 games on Sun, game on Mon...there's enough time slots without taking up 3pm on Saturday

Dont hold your breath. They will be redundant soon and it's all their own fault, instead of being part of the game they have chosen to be "in charge of the game" and failed to improve and adapt to change. Players and refs had a lot better relationship in the past and I believe a lot of this is down to TV and their culture of blame and need for incidents to debate.
Yeah I agree. The ref blamed Hawkeye whereas he has the authority to over rule; ultimately it’s his decision so his fault that it was wrong. And it’s this “too brick scared to take responsibility” attitude that will lead to the demise of referees.

Yeah I agree. The ref blamed Hawkeye whereas he has the authority to over rule; ultimately it’s his decision so his fault that it was wrong. And it’s this “too brick scared to take responsibility” attitude that will lead to the demise of referees.
He needs to be absolutely sure to give the goal. He could not be sure, and wasn't, and neither was the assistant referee. But this will lead to a rule change, which will allow VAR to intervene if Eagle Eye fails. As it is, the rules set by the FA, in conjunction with referees, the clubs and Premier League, does not include goal line decisions as a part of VAR. This will probably change now.

The ref can’t give a goal unless they are 100% sure it was one, always better to err on the side of caution.

If the cameras couldn’t see enough, what hope does a simple human have.

I think the 3pm rule needs to stay. Helps protection lower league and grass roots football. No reason why you cant spread the games out more and still protect this slot - you could easily have a Fri night game, 1230pm, 6pm and 8pm on Sat, 2-3 games on Sun, game on Mon...there's enough time slots without taking up 3pm on Saturday
100% Needs to stay. It has a massive affect on Lower and Non league crowds. You’re spot on with that. Do it myself watch the 12:30 go see a Non League 3pm Ko then home for the evening games.

The ref can’t give a goal unless they are 400% sure it was one, always better to err on the side of caution.

Yep, all true, especially the simple human part :D . In which case he should keep his trap shut. Post match comments from a referee like “it felt like a goal” are unhelpful.

The ref can’t give a goal unless they are 400% sure it was one, always better to err on the side of caution.

Indeed. Just ask Mark Clattenburg and Rob Lewis.

Keep 3pm below PL level.
That might encourage people to watch lower league football.

If people need to be encouraged to watch lower league football the best way to achieve that is to improve the product.

It’s anti competitive, it’s like not allowing supermarkets to open between 9 and 5 so you have to shop at a smaller local grocer thats overpriced, has a smaller range and items of lower quality.

If people need to be encouraged to watch lower league football the best way to achieve that is to improve the product.

It’s anti competitive, it’s like not allowing supermarkets to open between 9 and 5 so you have to shop at a smaller local grocer thats overpriced, has a smaller range and items of lower quality.
I don't agree with that. I think lower league is still very charming - yes the football isn't great, but that's how sport works; you can only have elite level if you also have not so elite level.
But exploring a new ground, one usually steeped in history, standing on the side lines with a Bovril, it's fun. In the same way going to an English heritage site is fun. Maybe only do it a few times a year, but it makes a nice change. A different experience.
The problem with end game consumerism is it expects perfection or cookie cutter products all the time rather than seeing the beauty in something that's imperfect

I don't agree with that. I think lower league is still very charming - yes the football isn't great, but that's how sport works; you can only have elite level if you also have not so elite level.
But exploring a new ground, one usually steeped in history, standing on the side lines with a Bovril, it's fun. In the same way going to an English heritage site is fun. Maybe only do it a few times a year, but it makes a nice change. A different experience.
The problem with end game consumerism is it expects perfection or cookie cutter products all the time rather than seeing the beauty in something that's imperfect

I second this. In my younger years, whenever I went to London to watch Spurs, I usually tried to catch a lower league match as well. The football wasn't really all that, but the atmosphere, stadium and fans usually made it a great experience every time.

To this day I still remember the hamburger I bought from a street vendour before a York City game back in 1999. Buger, bun and lots of fried onion. Mmmmm.

I have no idea who won or even who York played, but that burger... :D

Most non-PL football fans will will watch their team and the PL, paying for both. Putting PL games at 3pm on Saturday will discourage people from going to the games, why pay for a match when you can watch another you have paid for. Die-hard fans will still go, but they will be penalised by reducing the live PL games they can see.

Society/culture has changed, "fans" now want to be associated with success and have little time for local community or family links which use to dictate who you followed. I think watching football is only for the young and old, if you can you should be playing it. My grandson is as mad as his father and me in his love of Spurs, but if our Sunday ko time clashes with his game there's no choice for him its playing and that's how its should be.

That's all fine, good for you if you enjoy it, I'm not saying it should go away, but it shouldn't be a consideration for PL.

Totally agree. The tempo is lower, and the passing isn't as crisp, but the number of great moments, happy moments, sad moments and funny moments are the same. Actually I think lower league football produce more funny moments. Anyway, football is about enjoying good moments and getting through the bad ones, and lower league football is just as emotional as top flight.

That's all fine, good for you if you enjoy it, I'm not saying it should go away, but it shouldn't be a consideration for PL.

There in lays the problem, without lower leagues and grass root football there is no football, but PL and TV cant see this over their piles of money.

There in lays the problem, without lower leagues and grass root football there is no football, but PL and TV cant see this over their piles of money.

I don't think thats true, how many PL players actually come from lower/non league these days? The large majority of PL players come through PL academies, where they have been from very young ages.

I don't think thats true, how many PL players actually come from lower/non league these days? The large majority of PL players come through PL academies, where they have been from very young ages.

Most kids in this country go to school and start to play there or join a kids team, this is the entry level for grass roots football, clubs hoover them up from that level at a far too early age, lots of these children are rejected along the way and lose interest in the game as they have been classified failures, but who gives a brick as long as the yanks, asians and armchair fans subscribe plus sponsors and advertisers pay up. Playing park football is extremely expensive and more clubs are folding each year due to lack of funds and playing areas, there's money to be made in 5 a side pitches for young men so many spaces which were once full size pitches are taken over.

Back