• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2014/15 Premier League Thread

I just think its harder to score goals in the PL

Look how many forwards who flourished in Spain but struggled over here. Plus in recent times the likes of Forlan and Kanoute were average goalscorers in English football but were super prolific in Spain.

I don't think Ronaldo and Messi would bang in 50 or 60 goals a season in the PL

I think they would. Ronaldo for one has already done it in England! He scored over 40 goals in his second to last season here, and he's better now than he was back then. Messi and Ronaldo have both done it in the CL (top scorers in almost every season), which is a higher standard than the premier league ever will be so I have no reason to think they both wouldn't do the same in England.

Swings and roundabouts, Henry struggled in Italy but ripped it up in the premier league. Costa has been prolific in England. It's just most English players do not leave to play abroad, so there are more examples of foreigners failing in England than vice versa.

I think they would. Ronaldo for one has already done it in England! He scored over 40 goals in his second to last season here, and he's better now than he was back then. Messi and Ronaldo have both done it in the CL (top scorers in almost every season), which is a higher standard than the premier league ever will be so I have no reason to think they both wouldn't do the same in England.

Swings and roundabouts, Henry struggled in Italy but ripped it up in the premier league. Costa has been prolific in England. It's just most English players do not leave to play abroad, so there are more examples of foreigners failing in England than vice versa.

i wasnt talking about English players playing abroad, i mentioned Forlan and Kanoute who were prolific in Spain but not so in the PL.

Costa started well but now defences are wise to him and in the second half of the season he has struggled. Ronaldo had one season in the England where he scored 40 goals whereas in Spain he is banging in over 50 every season. I really dont think he would have maintained that level season in season out in the PL with all the difficult games and no winter break, The financial and quality gap in La liga is far bigger than in the PL.

Look im not questioning Ronaldo and Messi and their amazing abilities, they are truly great and will be remembered alongside the greats of the past, all im saying is that the PL is a different monster and the conditions and overall standard that players here have to deal with are harder than those in La Liga

i wasnt talking about English players playing abroad, i mentioned Forlan and Kanoute who were prolific in Spain but not so in the PL.

Costa started well but now defences are wise to him and in the second half of the season he has struggled. Ronaldo had one season in the England where he scored 40 goals whereas in Spain he is banging in over 50 every season. I really dont think he would have maintained that level season in season out in the PL with all the difficult games and no winter break, The financial and quality gap in La liga is far bigger than in the PL.

Look im not questioning Ronaldo and Messi and their amazing abilities, they are truly great and will be remembered alongside the greats of the past, all im saying is that the PL is a different monster and the conditions and overall standard that players here have to deal with are harder than those in La Liga

As mentioned before, Ronaldo left before his prime so he wasn't in the kind of form he has displayed for the last 5 years. I personally believe the premier league isn't the best league in the world anymore. I'm not saying there aren't some pony teams in Spain, but there are a lot crap teams in our best league also. I would say La Liga has overtaken the premier league.

As mentioned before, Ronaldo left before his prime so he wasn't in the kind of form he has displayed for the last 5 years. I personally believe the premier league isn't the best league in the world anymore. I'm not saying there aren't some pony teams in Spain, but there are a lot crap teams in our best league also. I would say La Liga has overtaken the premier league.

no, of course the PL is not the best league in the world, i dont buy all that Sky bullcr@p......however, it is the most physically grueling because of the speed and frenetic nature of games, you are more likely to see the lesser teams compete against the top teams (thats why you see Crystal Palace beating Emirates Marketing Project as a very recent example) and imo the defenses are better organised in English football. Plus the overall standard of player is higher in the PL, because of the money that all teams have to buy the better players from overseas. The gap between Real, Barca and the rest of La Liga is ridiculous

no, of course the PL is not the best league in the world, i dont buy all that Sky bullcr@p......however, it is the most physically grueling because of the speed and frenetic nature of games, you are more likely to see the lesser teams compete against the top teams (thats why you see Crystal Palace beating Emirates Marketing Project as a very recent example) and imo the defenses are better organised in English football. Plus the overall standard of player is higher in the PL, because of the money that all teams have to buy the better players from overseas. The gap between Real, Barca and the rest of La Liga is ridiculous

I get what you are saying, too lazy to do the analysis but my bet is year over year Real/Barca have more 4+ goal wins vs. La Liga sides than Cheat$ki/City do against lower EPL opposition.

Ronaldo for me is a guaranteed success, if Kane can get 30 goals in a season at this stage, I could easily see 40-45 a season in England for Ronaldo now.
Messi is no doubt a wc player, he has however never really played for anyone but Barca, and only in La Liga, would he match the output in a side not built around him, not in the exact mold that he has always played in? I'm sure he will do well, just would he be quite the same player, tough to say.

I get what you are saying, too lazy to do the analysis but my bet is year over year Real/Barca have more 4+ goal wins vs. La Liga sides than Cheat$ki/City do against lower EPL opposition.

Ronaldo for me is a guaranteed success, if Kane can get 30 goals in a season at this stage, I could easily see 40-45 a season in England for Ronaldo now.
Messi is no doubt a wc player, he has however never really played for anyone but Barca, and only in La Liga, would he match the output in a side not built around him, not in the exact mold that he has always played in? I'm sure he will do well, just would he be quite the same player, tough to say.

I think that's because both of those sides are better than Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. They would be 1st and 2nd if they were to play in our league, there's no way of knowing of course, but that's what I believe would happen.

Would Messi be the same with his teammates at Barca? Who knows, I don't see him leaving nor see why he should anytime soon. But Barca would not be as good without him.

I think that's because both of those sides are better than Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. They would be 1st and 2nd if they were to play in our league, there's no way of knowing of course, but that's what I believe would happen.

Would Messi be the same with his teammates at Barca? Who knows, I don't see him leaving nor see why he should anytime soon. But Barca would not be as good without him.

Hard to tell, all just speculation/opinion to be honest ..

The closest thing to judging would be look at player wages at bottom 12 clubs in La Liga vs. bottom 12 in EPL, not the best indicator, but reasonable to assume higher wages = better quality. I suspect EPL clubs (due to the nature of tv deal in England vs. Spain) spend more.

Barca and Real are very good clubs, I do think they have the luxury of a few more games a season that they don't get out of 2nd gear for, and it would be an adjustment (not saying they couldn't do it) vs. EPL

What an embarrassment Emirates Marketing Project are. If any of their fans are reading this, they might think it's a bit rich as we haven't achieved much in the last 15 years, but we haven't had the resources they have had over the past 8 years. 4 trophies to show for, one of which was scraped in the most spawny fashion in the last minute of the season, on goal difference.

Utter failure in the CL.

And let's face it, Chelsea and Liverpool threw the title away last season, Chelsea did the double over them and Liverpool, but fudged it up against the lesser sides. As for Liverpool, we all know what happened there.

I think there is a lesson in City

Mercenaries who are there for pay only (all players want cash, but without respect/desire for the club itself) don't give a brick, don't put all in.

You need an extremely strong/respected manager to get that extra out of them when the club means nothing, holds no attraction

In the unlikely event of Messi leaving and anyone being able to afford him, having pulled off that coup, would you really do anything other than build your team around him?

In the unlikely event of Messi leaving and anyone being able to afford him, having pulled off that coup, would you really do anything other than build your team around him?

Easy to say, not so easy to do. Also matter of should you and to what extent? if you spent whatever stupid money you did to get Messi, should you really be required to recreate a Barca style/system, or should he as one of the best players simply improve your system? you would assume he would be the pivot, but does that mean significant personnel/style changes?

What an embarrassment Emirates Marketing Project are. If any of their fans are reading this, they might think it's a bit rich as we haven't achieved much in the last 15 years, but we haven't had the resources they have had over the past 8 years. 4 trophies to show for, one of which was scraped in the most spawny fashion in the last minute of the season, on goal difference.

Utter failure in the CL.

And let's face it, Chelsea and Liverpool threw the title away last season, Chelsea did the double over them and Liverpool, but fudged it up against the lesser sides. As for Liverpool, we all know what happened there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they are nothing but a brick club that won the lottery

The two worst teams in the league. This should be a belter.
It's already the "Two drunks slugging it out in a car park" everyone expected.

I feel sorry for Ramsey, he's clearly better than that but he's been left with the least balanced sack of overpaid mercenaries I've ever seen.

I don't think QPR have ever even heard the term "defensive drill"

Back