• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Next Step?

If we don't manage to qualify for CL then we'll lose the special players we have and getting better manager in will be difficult. Can see us back where we were 4 or 5 years ago.

If we don't manage to qualify for CL then we'll lose the special players we have and getting better manager in will be difficult. Can see us back where we were 4 or 5 years ago.

Worse than that. I can see us being where we were right after Klinsman left. With a manager that had lost the plot and the club relying on old players. 4-5 years ago was the Jol era and that was a relative success as we had a weak team yet still competed for 4th place.

What you have to think when you analyse the season is where would we be with a top level manager, say if we had Mourinho would we still be challenging for the title? Perhaps up until say mid April the tailed off to finish on say 78/80 points in a comfortable third place

Worse than that. I can see us being where we were right after Klinsman left. With a manager that had lost the plot and the club relying on old players. 4-5 years ago was the Jol era and that was a relative success as we had a weak team yet still competed for 4th place.

Actually don't think so, worse case scenario is

- We fail to qualify for CL, and we have to sell Bale/Modric and Ade leaves
- That leaves Walker/Kaboul/Dwason/Caulker/BAE/Lennon/Parker/Sandro/Kranjcar/Defoe/Saha
- +50M or so from sales

Even without spending significantly, that side would easily manage 5th- 7th each season (UEFA Cup), certainly not the dark days (which was 20+ years without european football)

Old players? Jesus, have you seen the age our team out there today? Especially once you take Gallas and Friedel out of it!

Jol's first 5th place, that team wasn't weak. Defensively more solid than us. Our midfield is currently, on paper, very good but Jol's team had better defenders and a better balance up front.

Old players? Jesus, have you seen the age our team out there today? Especially once you take Gallas and Friedel out of it!

Jol's first 5th place, that team wasn't weak. Defensively more solid than us. Our midfield is currently, on paper, very good but Jol's team had better defenders and a better balance up front.
Jol's first 5th place team would probably give this one a run for its money, defensively more solid and a lot more fight in midfield. However his second 5th place team was extremely weak in midfield (Malbranque, Jenas, Zokora, Lennon) and King Started to become troubled by his knees at that point

Not going to lie, didnt read all of the opening post, it was quite good from the bits I skimmed through.

But normally after Harry leaves a club (has he ever been sacked?) that club completely collapse from where they were under him.

For us to be challenging for 3rd with loan players and free transfers making up our squad, well its the sort of thing only Harry with his knowledge of the PL and good relationship with players can do. Adebayor wouldnt be here without Harry.

We cannot compete financially with about 5 clubs, so unless the next step is spend 500m, Harry is a great manager to keep us challenging for 3rd/4th.

If we change manager without heavy investment, we go backwards. And if we have money to spend, I dont see why Redknapp wouldnt be a good choice to spend it. We have been in for big stars under Harry but they go to clubs that pay more. We wouldnt have Nelson and Saha if Levy had signed the first choice (not that it is really Levys fault either).

Harry is pretty much achieving the maximum. If we had a new manager I dont see what more he can do. So the obvious thing to do is not change manager.

in all reality, if we don't find a suitable replacement for Ade we're right back to 6-8th for the foreseeable future.

Few points

- First of all the next step for me is consolidating Top 4 and even the occasional 3rd not winning the title - around 2-3 steps above that. We have made 4th once and people are demanding a title challenge next based on the purchase of 1-2 players. It would take immensely more than that, I'm afraid.

- Large portion of your argument is based on the premise of delusional fans but I sincerely doubt anyone on here expects us to be the title challengers or would realistically demand that from the current squad (players available). What I do think though is most are quite desperate for some continuity and regular CL football at this stage, in turn attracting higher calibre players and saving lunch money for the new stadium

As far as your undisputable facts are concerned

- 'we'll be fighting for 3rd till final day' sounds quite different to 'we blew 3rd monumentally and bottled almost every single game which mattered over the last 3 months' or 'we could finish anything from 3rd to 6th'. I don't subscribe to one particlar view point (combination of aspects) but simply want to demonstrate how different wording can alter context significantly

Last edited:
Few points

- First of all the next step for me is consolidating Top 4 and even the occasional 3rd not winning the title - around 2-3 steps above that. We have made 4th once and people are demanding a title challenge next based on the purchase of 1-2 players. It would take immensely more than that, I'm afraid.

- Large portion of your argument is based on the premise of delusional fans but I sincerely doubt anyone on here expects us to be the title challengers or would realistically demand that from the current squad (players available). What I do think though is most are quite desperate for some continuity and regular CL football at this stage, in turn attracting higher calibre players and saving lunch money for the new stadium

As far as your undisputable facts are concerned

- 'we'll be fighting for 3rd till final day' sounds quite different to 'we blew 3rd monumentally and bottled almost every single game which mattered over the last 3 months' or 'we could finish anything from 3rd to 6th'. I don't subscribe to one particlar view point (combination of aspects) but simply want to demonstrate how different wording can alter context significantly

I've said several times, it's over 38 games. If you have an easier run in the first half of the season, then it's more than conceivable you'll have a healthy points advantage at halfway, but in real terms you will not.

Mate, no offense and nothing personal, but you are dreaming/completely deluded. People on this board go on about how we need x player, or a striker that can score/convert the chances we make, yep, exactly those players

- Rooney/Drogba/Tevez/Aguero/Silva/Torres/etc. ..

To win the PL, you will need multiple players in the 20-50M bracket, we don't even own one.

We have a first 11 that can compete, not a squad over 38 games, and that needs a budget 2X - 4X ours

l see so presumably you think it is deluded to think we might finish above Chelsea? What sort of odds will you offer the board on that extreme naivety?
And my point is that we have to aspire to win the PL, I know it is extremely unlikely.

l see so presumably you think it is deluded to think we might finish above Chelsea? What sort of odds will you offer the board on that extreme naivety?
And my point is that we have to aspire to win the PL, I know it is extremely unlikely.

Technically we should be 6th (based on a paper view of squad/spend/experience/etc.)

It's not deluded to think we can outperform one/two or even three of the teams that on paper start the season ahead of us (to your Cheat$ki point), but to somehow outperform five or six? yep, I do think that is deluded.

We had some luck this season, AVB was a disaster for Cheat$ki (and they can still catch us), Dogleash is a disaster at Pool. That said, fudging RVP has managed the only season of his career uninjured, Barcodes have had a brilliant season and we had a run of games where the margins didn't land in our favour.

To another posters point in this thread, next step for Tottenham is owning 4th, not winning the league ..

Let's be realistic for one minute here. Chelsea have fudged up this season, badly. That's a major reason why we are ahead of them. Chelsea in my opinion should be winning the league, or at least running City very close. For us to stand a chance of winning the league we aren't relying on ONE club fudging up like Chelsea have done this season. Realistically we are relying on at least THREE teams screwing up.

Can we win the Premiership in the next four or five years? Maybe, but there is probably more chance that a Championship side will win the FA Cup.....

I think the solutions are already very well known.

Clubs don't deserve success, you have to earn it, which you do by making sensible long-term decisions off the pitch. Get a good manager and have faith in him (contrast Man Utd sticking with Ferguson in the early years and the Chavs getting rid of AVB after just a few months), invest in a high-quality long-term youth policy, build a new stadium, and improve the scouting network so that you get the best talent around at affordable prices.

Although chopping and changing manager is normally the worst thing to do, it's my view that Redknapp, in his own mind, already had his arse in the England manager's chair and that pretty much was the be all and end all of our recent terrible run. So I'd say it might be the right time to say goodbye, because if you don't have a manager that is 100% committed to the club then you haven't got much at all.

So, overall, get shot of Harry, and put someone in place for the medium term, with all the other elements I mentioned above.

I think the solutions are already very well known.

Clubs don't deserve success, you have to earn it, which you do by making sensible long-term decisions off the pitch. Get a good manager and have faith in him (contrast Man Utd sticking with Ferguson in the early years and the Chavs getting rid of AVB after just a few months), invest in a high-quality long-term youth policy, build a new stadium, and improve the scouting network so that you get the best talent around at affordable prices.

Although chopping and changing manager is normally the worst thing to do, it's my view that Redknapp, in his own mind, already had his arse in the England manager's chair and that pretty much was the be all and end all of our recent terrible run. So I'd say it might be the right time to say goodbye, because if you don't have a manager that is 100% committed to the club then you haven't got much at all.

So, overall, get shot of Harry, and put someone in place for the medium term, with all the other elements I mentioned above.

I always think this is a VERY over rated part of what a successful club is. Most clubs see a successful academy as one that turns a profit. Very few players come through the ranks at top clubs in this country. And even fewer going on to become established first team players either. This is especially true over the last decade.

Technically we should be 6th (based on a paper view of squad/spend/experience/etc.)

It's not deluded to think we can outperform one/two or even three of the teams that on paper start the season ahead of us (to your Cheat$ki point), but to somehow outperform five or six? yep, I do think that is deluded.

We had some luck this season, AVB was a disaster for Cheat$ki (and they can still catch us), Dogleash is a disaster at Pool. That said, fudging RVP has managed the only season of his career uninjured, Barcodes have had a brilliant season and we had a run of games where the margins didn't land in our favour.

To another posters point in this thread, next step for Tottenham is owning 4th, not winning the league ..

Blimey you've used the deluded word again. I was answering a direct question on the possibility of Spurs winning the PL, not the probability. Am not sure if you are an English speaker but don't conflate those two, different meanings, we all know it is unlikely to happen. Bookies take odds, long odds at the start of the season on the probability of Spurs winning the PL, surely that in itself indicates it is not impossible. Why is is deluded to state this as fact?

Using moonlight knights metaphor of a team of scientists looking for a cure for cancer, just because it is hard it doesn't make it impossible, and because others might have more resources and so on doesn't mean you can't make a series of breakthroughs by thinking and behaving differently to the competition.

Last edited:
Back