• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The next few seasons

Can anyone tell me why we should still have a wage issue when in the new stadium? Or how long it will take before we won't? I'm not saying we are going to pay Emirates Marketing Project or Madrid wages but if we move into this amazing new ground and still operate like we are 30k at WHL it will be totally pointless if we lose players from this squad because of it.

I'm hoping once the ground is finished, the revenue increase is predictable and we can pretty quickly build that into our wage structure. I'm hoping we don't need to wait for money to actually flow into the bank account, more like we needed an asset that would show the corporate finance folks that our income would be repeatable and consistent? So hopefully this coming pre-season we should have a raft of new contract signings?

A lot IMO depends on our revised commercial income at the new WHL

Games like last night elevate our brand to a new level which makes us more attractive to any stadium sponsor for example which could in turn get more in to pay for the stadium without effecting other budgets

Dont forget Barca and Madrid cannot afford their current wages as it stands so their having issues and were competing with them

Everton showed lots of intent in the transfer market, but have managed to buy themselves a relegation battle. Our cautious/necessity approach is much better.
100%

There is value in getting in hungry talent

Sanchez is a bargain in this day and age and more so compared to someone like VVD

Can anyone tell me why we should still have a wage issue when in the new stadium? Or how long it will take before we won't? I'm not saying we are going to pay Emirates Marketing Project or Madrid wages but if we move into this amazing new ground and still operate like we are 30k at WHL it will be totally pointless if we lose players from this squad because of it.

I'm hoping once the ground is finished, the revenue increase is predictable and we can pretty quickly build that into our wage structure. I'm hoping we don't need to wait for money to actually flow into the bank account, more like we needed an asset that would show the corporate finance folks that our income would be repeatable and consistent? So hopefully this coming pre-season we should have a raft of new contract signings?

City and Chelsea are doped - they are in a different league. United and Liverpool have decades of brand loyalty overseas, which gives them far greater merchandise and foreign tv money. It's a long road to pull alongside those two, though it has steadily been happening (especially against Liverpool). It's only really Arsenal that the stadium will give us a big instant advantage over in terms of wage competition.

City and Chelsea are doped - they are in a different league. United and Liverpool have decades of brand loyalty overseas, which gives them far greater merchandise and foreign tv money. It's a long road to pull alongside those two, though it has steadily been happening (especially against Liverpool). It's only really Arsenal that the stadium will give us a big instant advantage over in terms of wage competition.

Pool are catchable as their owners cant dope the side

But there's still say 10 Liverpool shirts to every Spurs one sold in China, because of the 1960-80s legacy. That will take a long time to change

As forgeries yes

The money in shirts is negligible

Its the tractor sponsorships and toilet roll deals that make a dent

A trophy can start to plug some of these gaps whilst our exposure is high in CL; In he far east we gained a lot of following i believe in that Bale breakout CL season.

Our young squad and marketable image could go far if we go far in the CL and win, any of the remaining we are still in

A trophy can start to plug some of these gaps whilst our exposure is high in CL; In he far east we gained a lot of following i believe in that Bale breakout CL season.

Our young squad and marketable image could go far if we go far in the CL and win, any of the remaining we are still in

And America too where there is real money

Knowing Levy he won't be giving the fans ' thanks for the incredible support-pat on the back of supporting Spurs at Wembley' type of adulation and here's a discount for next season..... if we want to pay the big bucks to keep some of our players or buy a few so called superstars the fans will have to fork out for it i can't see season ticket prices being reasonable next season. With a new tv deal on the horizon,with the rumour that the clubs won't be getting the same deal as before i think everyone will have to chip in regardless of the new 61k staduim.

Be interesting if Poch will go for a big star or he'll keep investing in the potential of the player.

Knowing Levy he won't be giving the fans ' thanks for the incredible support-pat on the back of supporting Spurs at Wembley' type of adulation and here's a discount for next season..... if we want to pay the big bucks to keep some of our players or buy a few so called superstars the fans will have to fork out for it i can't see season ticket prices being reasonable next season. With a new tv deal on the horizon,with the rumour that the clubs won't be getting the same deal as before i think everyone will have to chip in regardless of the new 61k staduim.

Be interesting if Poch will go for a big star or he'll keep investing in the potential of the player.

It will be comparable IMO to now like for like

The TV deal increase for international buffers any drop on the UK deal

Tbh I only really see Kane and maybe Eriksen as irreplaceable and that it's Pochettino and his training/tactics which has elevated us to where we are rather than a super XI of players we're lucky to have - get Kane signed up, no one in the squad would begrudge him earning more than them as he is clearly one of the games best players other than that I'm pretty confident we can replace anyone if they want to start throwing their toys out of the pram

It’s a good strategy. But it’s a business first strategy. We are in this to win, I just want Football to be put first. I’m not saying be gung ho with it, but there needs to be some risk otherwise the opportunity will pass us by

We cannot be in line with the very top elite clubs. I accept that. But even Liverpool (who didn’t quite pull off what they wanted) showed intent in going for Keita and Van Dijk. They didn’t pull it off so they failed in that respect but I want us to show similar intent. To be fair I think we have done by buying Sánchez and Aurier.

We are actually doing ok. More than ok, we have been exceptional. But we must make the most of the what we have right now. We are so close to winning, a little extra could see us reap the rewards.

A player of Kane’s ilk should be winning leagues.
You said in the opening post that Levy has a long term plan of growing the cub organically. That's a business strategy. But the way he's doing that is very much a footballing strategy. Our results in the pitch decides how much money he makes on the business side.

I believe we're now seeing results of a long term strategy over years. That includes the stadium, but also the training ground that I believe planning was started on over a decade ago. With fans in the background complaining about spending money on that instead of transfer fees and wages.

Is this the time to statically change our approach. I really don't think so. There's so much still to come from our long term, player development focused approach.

Not when there's £200-400m of debt to repay on the stadium.

And mercenary 'superstars' wouldn't work in this team anyway

Getting the structures (training ground, stadium, finance) right and organic growth is the only sensible way

Not when there's £200-400m of debt to repay on the stadium.

And mercenary 'superstars' wouldn't work in this team anyway

Getting the structures (training ground, stadium, finance) right and organic growth is the only sensible way

Lets flip the big star thing round...

Who would make us better who we could get?

Our rivals are paying as much wages as we are with regards to turnover

DLHnun3X0AAiqH0.jpg

So it isn't a Levy issue we need to increase our turnover.

We need to get past the group stage in the CL regularly to afford the wages of the other clubs

DNdkUvgW0AAfSmD.jpg

But once the new stadium opens we will be making up the £70m gap here
DLHmWLFXcAEpUCk.jpg

If we keep a 50% wage to turnover ratio that will give us another £35m to spend on wages.
This is the gap we have to make up.

DLHnDRUWkAAoImu.jpg

I get this. I have always been on this same page.

But Harry Kane. This is a truly special once in a lifetime player. If we simply chance our luck and hope we push for the league title once or twice then we have wasted what has been one of the greatest opportunities ever afforded to us.

It is impossible to replace this player. Who is better? Are they of a better age? Would they come to us even if we paid them?

That’s the risk if we continue to improve at this trajectory yet not win and not pay good wages. My argument here is, is that more of a gamble then actually paying now?

Where the money comes from?
3%2BRevenue%2BSplit%2B%25C2%25A3.jpg

We can only expect that our revenue will greatly go up having competed in the champions league and finished second in the league. Tv money will push us into crazy levels in comparison to the likes of Juve and co, who are huge clubs.

I’m not the accountant. But what I’m suggesting is prioritise the football team while we have it right now. Because to build this again may be impossible at a later date even when we have more funds.

In terms of what is top wages? It doesn’t have to be what city will pay, but it can be a damn sight more than what we’ve been getting away with up til now
From this chart it looks like, if we reach Arsenal level matchday revenue, we can afford to pay our top 10 players an extra £50-60k per week and still keep salaries at 50% of total turnover. And that's without any increase in commercial and broadcast revenue. So I think we might be in a good place next year in that regard. The question is whether £50-60k more will be enough for some.

Ok so I’ve been thinking about where we are as a club today and what our ultimate ambition is.

Daniel Levy has a long term vision to organically grow the club, give us world class facilities and a world class stadium.

A compromise to this would be to have a reduced wage bill and not be able to compete on a financial level with those with the ultimate ambition to win the league

Or wait until the large wages are sustainable through the increased revenue.

A counter argument: Unexpectedly we have unearthed a gem in Gareth Bale. A once in a lifetime player.

Not only Bale but a whole team that are coming of age at the same time together filled with special talent.

Do we waste this opportunity that has come along? Or do we support Bale with more special talent and truly push to win this league.

If we don’t pay the players what they are worth it is more of a risk to let them go because signing players of the same calibre would either be impossible or cost a LOT of money.

This group and particularly Gareth Bale is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Levy needs to adjust his long term vision and back the squad today.
Otherwise we risk becoming next seasons Monaco (probably without a league title)

Truth is, right now the board would take a top 4 finish as a yardstick as a fairly successful season although we all say we want a trophy. Redknapp has said the League and the CL are the only ones really worth winning. We need to get to the stage where the board consider “winning the league” is the clubs objective from the beginning the season. That means competing for the best players when they come available and paying accordingly. It means rewarding the current players with the salaries they could easily command elsewhere.

I know it’s a conundrum, but the money is out there. With google and amazon and co entering the fray for streaming rights, the turnover will be reaching record highs. Invest in the team first and foremost.

Thought?

I use to think most of the posts were by blokes, now I'm unsure, there is a lot of female thinking on this site! We need a new car, them next door have new curtains, why don't we go on holiday to Dubai? . I' m just an old fart who was bought up with the stupid old fashioned belief that you lived within your means and don't spend money you ain't got. It's so easy to spend when you don't worry about the consequences or the sustainability of a free spending policy.

It’s a good strategy. But it’s a business first strategy. We are in this to win, I just want Football to be put first. I’m not saying be gung ho with it, but there needs to be some risk otherwise the opportunity will pass us by

We cannot be in line with the very top elite clubs. I accept that. But even Liverpool (who didn’t quite pull off what they wanted) showed intent in going for Keita and Van Dijk. They didn’t pull it off so they failed in that respect but I want us to show similar intent. To be fair I think we have done by buying Sánchez and Aurier.

We are actually doing ok. More than ok, we have been exceptional. But we must make the most of the what we have right now. We are so close to winning, a little extra could see us reap the rewards.

A player of Kane’s ilk should be winning leagues.

But there is know guarantees that money is the solution.

It feels like the solution because that is what we are addicted to.

Poch has proved that in his world the landscape is very different. And the vision he has for the team and club is constantly changing. Look how the personnel have changed even in the time he has been here.

That churn is slowing down, and the ones he has chosen, and performed deserve pay rises. But clearly they will not be close to the level that Emirates Marketing Project United or Chelsea can offer.

There will be new additions but they don't have to cost a fortune, it is Poch's coaching that is priceless.

If we need more money for wages id be happy to raise that by selling someone on like we did with Walker or Rose and using half the fee for wage increases safe in the knowledge that Poch will filter someone thru (usually someone we thought wasn't good enough:))

Remember we have been close the last two seasons, but i'm not convinced more money would have got us over the line.

One thing that is bugging me, is ive got a feeling they'll be one (city) better than us AGAIN this season.

Back